Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#84862 - 02/04/07 04:27 PM Food Procurement
tke248 Offline

I was wondering if anyone had any unique ways to procure food in a long-term survival environment. I have found this article about how to make a box trap. I wondering if any of you have anything for fishing without a spear or hook?

http://www.combobulate.com/node/43

#84863 - 02/04/07 06:42 PM Re: Food Procurement
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:
I wondering if any of you have anything for fishing without a spear or hook?

How about using a mosquito head net to make a fishing net?

I also know of a way to catch birds: take fruit and put that with increments on a long piece of cord theaderd to a fixed point.
If the bird eats the fruit, he'll also swollow the line, making his escape impossible.

#84864 - 02/04/07 07:32 PM Re: Food Procurement
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Tickling them. If you google "tickling fish", you'll probably find a nice video that those of us with dial up can't see.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#84865 - 02/04/07 08:56 PM Re: Food Procurement
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Another thing we used to do when young, was walk up a stream, and the sucker fish would literally attack your toes. Also, minnows would swarm our feet & legs. all harmless, but easy catching.
I've read that herding fish into a pre-planned catch area works. I've never tried it, only read about it. Essentially what you do is set a sort of "fence" into a stream, into a V, with the point part of the V downstream, and the wide parts close to to banks. Then, start WAY upstream, and work your way down, slapping the water, & generally making a ruckus. The idea is that, by the time you get towards the bottom of the V, you'll have some fish. Oh, make the fence part sticking out of the water, so fish cxannot simply swim over the top.
Again, I have yet to see it in application; only read about it.

#84866 - 02/08/07 09:16 PM Metal Box Traps
Micah513 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MO
I have purchased a total of 3 of these raccoon traps for future use.

The first 3 or 4 coons I caught was by putting peaches in a trap under the tree because they were wiping out my crop. Then I switched over to bacon last summer because I read it worked well. It did as I caught two coons & a possum the first night.

I have eaten two of the coons so far & I must say the back on them is very good. Fairly strong gamey flavor, but I got used to it pretty fast.

I was eating BBQ Raccoon & garden fresh Better Boy tomatos & Georgia White peaches for the better part of a week last summer.

I didn't tell any of my co-workers as I don't want them to think I too much of a HillBillly!!!

Trapping is definitely part of my equipped for the longterm strategy.

There are a ton of deer hunters here in Missouri so I'm convinced they will be nearly eliminated fairly quickly post TEOTWAWKI. However, the night varmits should last a lot longer. Plus I won't be above eating possums or the neighbors cats, etc.

#84867 - 02/08/07 09:23 PM Re: Food Procurement
Micah513 Offline

or just go search Ebay for BEACHCOMBED FISHING NET and you get the real thing now ahead of time. I bought a 25' X 5' one for about $20 a couple years ago. Unfortunately I've never gotten around to testing it out.

#84868 - 02/09/07 12:12 AM Re: Food Procurement
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
You can use cast nets, limblines and trotlines to catch fish. All can gather a good amount of fish. You can learn how to use a cast net pretty quick, It only took me a couple of hours.

#84869 - 02/09/07 06:45 PM Re: Food Procurement
bassnbear Offline

Loc: Southeast US
There are a number of fish traps that can be improvised. The following website gives several examples.
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/food-4.php

#84870 - 02/11/07 02:33 AM Re: Metal Box Traps
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
A couple of things Micah. I totally agree with the trapping for food and furs. There are uses for the bones as well. Just remember that oppossum must be taken from the pan to the plate & eaten while HOT. It's natural body fat is terrible to eat after it cools down.
And there is fishing.
Passive raiding if an opportunity presents itself. That is, raiding what no one is aware of/guarding. That refers to stranded 18 wheelers & RR cars, etc.

#84871 - 02/12/07 03:52 PM Re: Metal Box Traps
Micah513 Offline

Thanks for the point on the possum as I have never eaten one before. I used to trap them when I was a teenager & after skinning dozens of them I know I will have to VERY, VERY hungry to be able to eat one of those nasty creatures. But I will if it comes down to it - hoepfully I will still have some KC Masterpiece left...

As far as raiding goes I had never even though of raiding a train until seeing the TV show Jericho. Unfortunately, millions of Americans have thought of that now as well.

Still the vast majority of folks here in the US have no idea that the best way to catch fish is by using a net instead of a rod-n-reel or if the pond is frozen over you can cut a hole & still run a trotline. That cattail is an edible plant - let alone how to harvest & prepare it. They also have no idea that the Jerusalem Artichoke in my garden is edible. What they don't know won't hurt me...

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 522 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.