The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#84798 - 02/03/07 03:05 PM Advice on quality knife sharpening kits
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I am looking to get the best working edge possible out of my knives. As I am new to sharpening (normally, I take it to a knife shop, & have them put an edge on it), but want to learn this art for myself. I know there are literally tons of different products out there for sharpening. What I am looking for is a product I can use at home, to get a razors edge. Preferably a kit-type. I had watched a video of Ray Mears sharpening knives, and he had a setup that included a coarse grit, fine grit, a super-fine grit, and a smaller rubbing stone, or something similar (may have been a compound, not sure), that went on green, and, after going over a super-fine stone, turned black. It also had a little stone holder thing, that the stone fit into, with rubber feet on the bottom to keep it from sliding around. I think the superfine was like either 3000 or 6000 grit. Then, lastly, he stropped it (no help here, I am familiar with stropping a blade).
Anyone have any suggestions on these types of kits? Thanks!

#84799 - 02/03/07 03:51 PM Re: Advice on quality knife sharpening kits
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I have a bunch of sharpening tools (kits, stones, holders, etc...), but they've all sat idle since I purchased a Spyderco Sharpmaker. Simple and very effective. I heartily recommend it.

If you've got knives that have REALLY nasty edges and need complete reprofiling, then you might want to consider getting a set of diamond sticks for the Sharpmaker too.

#84800 - 02/03/07 04:03 PM Re: Advice on quality knife sharpening kits
duckear Offline
Addict

I agree, get the Spyderco Sharpmaker. Best $40 or so you will spend.

Or, convex your blades using sandpaper and mouse pads. (look around at knifefourms.com for details)

#84801 - 02/03/07 04:29 PM Re: Advice on quality knife sharpening kits
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

Another vote for the Sharpmaker. It'll take a knife to shaving sharp pretty easily. The video with Sal Glasser (founder of Spyderco) sharpening knives is good, too.

Kevin B.

#84802 - 02/03/07 04:47 PM Re: Advice on quality knife sharpening kits
widget Offline
Addict

I like my Spyderco Sharpmaker also. Get a good edge with little chance of error. My shapest knives are Scandanavian edges like the Mora and they do not sharpen on the sharpmaker, for them I use Japanese waterstones and a razor strop.

#84803 - 02/03/07 04:54 PM Re: Advice on quality knife sharpening kits
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
The beauty of the Spyderco Sharpmaker is you will sub-conciously learn sharpening while at the same time putting a razor edge on your knives. It's easy to use and very effective.

What I mean by "learn sharpening" while using the Sharpmaker is it will give you the confidence you'll need if you have to use a benchstone at some time...or if you choose to graduate to Arkansas or diamond stones. ("graduate" is not really the correct term, as you can get just as sharp an edge on the SHarpmaker as any stone or, at least, as sharp an edge as you'll ever need) Finding the edge and holding the appropriate angle will be easier after becoming proficient with the Sharpmaker. Angles, edge geometry, and sharpening is no big secret to you... but if you're like me, it's very daunting to sharpen a 3-1/2" blade (or longer) on a benchstone and end up with a super-sharp edge. While using the Sharpmaker, I for one, began to understand that, if I need to or want to, I can take my knife and sharpen it one benchstones....and I proved it to myself at Sportsman's Warehouse just last month.

#84804 - 02/03/07 05:13 PM Re: Advice on quality knife sharpening kits
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Your Mora is one of the easiest edges to work with. If you bought it from Ragnar, he has a good tutorial on his website. Few knives come to the consumer 100% perfect. The caveat is once a knife is properly sharpened a ceramic or steel will often restore an edge. I've seen to many knives prematurely worn down by oversharpening. You should also determine exactly how much edge you need. A broadsword halving anvils by King Richard is a different affair than a damascene scimitar cutting silk by Saladine.

#84805 - 02/03/07 05:24 PM Re: Advice on quality knife sharpening kits
widget Offline
Addict

Here is a link to some tips on sharpening a Mora with Scandanavian edge.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=18493

#84806 - 02/03/07 06:14 PM Re: Advice on quality knife sharpening kits
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Thanks all for the prompt replies! I figure that this is a fairly important skill to have, so, I'll look into it a littl more.

#84807 - 02/03/07 09:35 PM Re: Advice on quality knife sharpening kits
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
If you have a lot of $$ to spend try Edge Pro

http://www.edgeproinc.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 549 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.