Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#84500 - 01/31/07 05:12 AM Transpore tape and gauze pads, no Bandaids?
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
I've read in several places that some first-aid providers don't carry adhesive bandages (bandaids) in their first-aid kits. They bring more 4" x 4" gauze pads with medical tape (such as Transpore) and cut the gauze pads to size depending on the wound (cut, scrape). I don't like bandaids too too much either because sometimes they just aren't wide enough.

This seems to make sense and would make my first-aid kit simpler and more versatile with more 4" x 4" pads... Do you agree ?

EDIT : assuming a small one/two person first-aid kit in a small pouch used for hiking, camping and similar activities.

Edited by Bee (01/31/07 05:15 AM)

#84501 - 01/31/07 05:27 AM Re: Transpore tape and gauze pads, no Bandaids?
Lasd02 Offline

Loc: Pasadena, Calif.
Quote:
Do you agree ?

Yes and no. I agree that 4"X4" pads and tape are more versatile but I don't think excluding bandaids would make your kit simpler.

As I'm sure you have, I've carried a FAK for quite some time. When I've needed 4"X4" pads, I really needed them and bandaids simply would not have sufficed, but as far as what item have I used the most? Hands down, the simple 1"X4" bandaid.

I guess I could have cut or folded a 4"X4" pad down and taped it on the wound, but for simplicity (and one handed use when it's your own finger), nothing beats:

#84502 - 01/31/07 10:15 AM Re: Transpore tape and gauze pads, no Bandaids?
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
I don't like Transpore as much as I like the Durapore tape.
Durapore is a lot tougher and sticks better, IMO.
As far as eliminating band-aids... I am going to continue having them in my FAK.
Good bandaids seal the minor wound from the outside. That is if they have a thin strip of sticky surface to the side of the part that goes towards the wound.

#84504 - 01/31/07 06:24 PM Re: Transpore tape and gauze pads, no Bandaids?
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Another issue to consider is that the BandAid-style bandages (NexCare are my favorite and are available cheaply at Wal-Mart) are very good for what is truly the most common & potentially serious injury: nicks & scrapes to the fingers & knuckles. FAKs are not just about blood loss.

As Doug Ritter explains, it's common and easy to get little dings on your fingers that then get dirty and infected. A few NexCares and some Neosporin will be very useful a lot more often than 4x4s. Think about this too: using a chunk of 4x4 on a skinned knuckle 1) uses up your tool for real blood loss and 2) results in a bulky bandage that will almost certainly NOT hold up as well as a good waterproof NexCare.

Your hands are vital tools in any crisis situation; you don't want them getting infected and you don't want bulky bandages sloughing off of them. This is a major reason why I keep a pair of thin, good-fitting goatskin gloves in my EDC bag. How will having a chunk of 4x4 taped to your finger affect the fit of your gloves? NexCares are effective while being slim and non-bulky.

Since there is practically no downside (in either bulk, weight, or cost) to having some NexCares in the kit, I don't see why anyone would eliminate them.

#84505 - 01/31/07 06:55 PM Re: Transpore tape and gauze pads, no Bandaids?
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
VERY well put.

When I was a highway cop/EMT, all I used on victims was 4x4's and kling to hold it on. But I was just patching them up prior to the ambulance arrival, when they got to a hospital many times they ended up with bandaids on the smaller wounds. I wasn't worried about anything but stopping blood flow, and covering the wound. But for myself, and I cut, poke, and scrape myself A LOT, a good old bandaid (I prefer the Nexcare flexible fabric ones) is what I use, unless it is a BIG cut. So I carry both in my kits, but I have a few bandaids in my wallet...

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 281 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.