The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#8356 - 08/19/02 06:14 AM Re: duct tape
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
I make small rolls of duct tape as follows: transfer a reasonable amount of duct tape onto a the cardboard roller from toilet paper. It's easy to roll it onto the roller. After enough is on the small roll, simply flatten the roll & roller for a flat, easily stored quantity. Then use scissors to trim off the excess length of cardboard roller.<br><br>John

#8357 - 08/19/02 06:40 AM Re: duct tape
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is the addy for 100 uses for a bandana???? because at scouts we have similar neckerchief!!!!!thanks<br><br>] mark

#8358 - 08/19/02 02:27 PM Re: duct tape
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
If you unroll the tape and fold it flat (approx. 3 inches long) you can fold/roll quite alot in a small space. I seem to average about 5+ feet in a flat roll of about 3" longx2" widex1/4" thick. With 1 in my PSKa nd several others in my pack, I likely carry close to hafe the roll in a very small space. Pete

#8359 - 08/19/02 04:36 PM Re: duct tape
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
It's actually a book written in 1927 by Commodore W. E. Longfellow called "Scouting with a Neckerchief".<br><br><br>Incidentally, there's a troop in the US that's proposing a Duct Tape Merit Badge. At first I thought it was a gag, but it seems as if they a truly serious. I just tried the link and it didn't work. The site may be down.<br><br>Here's a page that provides links to other sites with a multitude of uses for duct tape (Oh, BTW, you can seal ductwork with it!).<br><br>Lastly, I've seen ads for "100 mph tape." Does anyone know if it's better, worse or no different than what's available in the hardware store?<br><br>Thanks

#8360 - 08/19/02 04:56 PM Re: duct tape
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Actually, fabric-based "duct tape" hasn't been allowed for sealing ducts for many years in jurisdictions that have mechanical codes - various performance reasons. A metalic type duct tape meeting certain performance criteria is what should be used now-a-days.<br><br><< Lastly, I've seen ads for "100 mph tape." Does anyone know if it's better, worse or no different than what's available in the hardware store? >><br><br>Depends on what you buy at the hardware store. "Mil-spec" tape is the very heaviest and best. Almost as good are the various ones advertised as "90 mph tape" and "100 mph tape". In the same class as those is "contractor grade" brand name stuff like Scotch from 3M. All cost more than the garden variety "duct tape" and all greatly out-perform the bargain stuff in ALL of my experiences with them. If you've never used name brand duct tape in a non-bargain grade, go get a roll and try it in some demanding situations exposed to the elements - you may be amazed at the performance advantage. I refuse to buy the bargain stuff - it's not in the same league as the "good stuff". Save the bargain stuff for non-critical applications like letting kids/grandkids fabricate imaginative things from cardboard boxes, cans. sticks, etc.<br><br>HTH,<br><br>Tom

#8361 - 08/20/02 02:39 PM Re: duct tape
Anonymous
Unregistered

#8362 - 08/21/02 03:46 AM Re: duct tape
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have Black and Olive Drab Duct Tape that I picked up at a military surplus sale direct from the Canadian Forces. I have asked several people who have told me it is the same as the 100 MPH Tape used during the Vietnam Era. It is extremely strong, very hard to rip as you would normal DT. I use a blade to cut it. It is also very sticky. It is so sticky that if you stick the sticky pieces together it will not come apart. I have used it to repair fiberglass boat hulls, ATV seats and fenders, and it is particularly good to repair ponchos, tents, tarps, etc. <br><br>If the stuff I have is true 100 MPH tape. There is no comparison between this stuff and commercial versions. It does come in very large rolls.<br><br>I am sending a roll to Red Green for his expert opinion. I will also send a roll to ETS if someone will tell me the best way to send it.<br><br>Mariner.

#8363 - 08/21/02 04:33 AM Re: duct tape
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
<< used during the Vietnam Era >><br><br>Er, last I checked, it's still in the supply system

#8364 - 08/21/02 10:22 AM Re: duct tape
win Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
Mariner,<br>I have been looking for this for some time in green colour. Can you help me get one if at alll possible? I will give you details and let me know the deal if you can assist.<br>One question: does the tape leave residue after being left a while?<br><br>Many thanks<br>Oliver

#8365 - 08/21/02 01:35 PM Re: duct tape
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
WIN, I do not where you live, but in the US, the green is available from:<br>http://www.sportsmansguide.com/<br><br>Once on their site, just do a search for duct tape. Pete

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (dougwalkabout), 531 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.