Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#8346 - 08/17/02 06:09 PM duct tape
Anonymous
Unregistered

why does doug include duct tape in his psk when to me it doesn't seem to have much use and it is quite bulky

#8347 - 08/17/02 06:29 PM Re: duct tape
Anonymous
Unregistered

duck tpe is the handy mans secret wepoend its stroung and very useful!

#8348 - 08/17/02 07:39 PM Re: duct tape
zoltan Offline

Loc: Poland
Duct tape has been a part of my EDC before I even knew this acronym. It works great for repairing your equipment - some say if you can't fix something with a duct tape, it's not broken. It's also good for improvising stuff - while yachting I made a lot of gear with duct tape, plastic bottles and garbage bags and they worked long enough to get to port and replace it with real equipment. I put some duct tape to my PSK (which I usually don't carry, I've been stuck in a city lately) and I also carry some in my pocket (one roll is enough when I don't expect to use it - if I plan some repairs, I take more) and a lot more in the car.

#8349 - 08/17/02 09:32 PM Re: duct tape
Anonymous
Unregistered

Duct tape is the wonder product of the universe, lol. I carry enough in my kit for repairs to clothing, my carry bag, shoes, use it for medical tape, for binding pieces of river willow or other strong pliable wood together to make an emergency bow. Cut into very thin strips it can attach feathers to an arrow and so on. Always got some available to me either in the truck a kit or around the house.

#8350 - 08/18/02 11:50 AM Re: duct tape
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't dispute it's usefulness, but I don't carry a piece in the kit.. I'm a bit skeptical of the utility of one pretty short piece. For my "urban" kit I carry nylon wire bundlers, cord, safety pins and a very small sewing kit instead.<br><br>However, I do have a small roll in one of the pockets of the shoulder pouch I use for commuting, so useful lengths are usually out of reach only when I leave the office for meetings or lunch.

#8351 - 08/18/02 09:31 PM Re: duct tape
Anonymous
Unregistered

Unlike other forms of tape, duct tape can be torn into smaller strips that are quite even. So a 2-3' piece of duct tape, if torn properly could give you easily 10' or more.<br><br>Apollo 13 astronauts used it for repairs and the Apollo 17 astronauts used it to keep dust off the lunar rover’s fenders; it is now policy to have a roll on every space shuttle mission.<br><br><br><br>

#8352 - 08/18/02 09:56 PM Re: duct tape
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a hard time understanding how you could not see the value of having some duct tape with you in a emergency/survival situation. The stuff is nothing short of incredible .<br><br>Are you playing some sort of joke here ?

#8353 - 08/18/02 10:16 PM Re: duct tape
schaz Offline

Loc: California
plls5 wrote:<br><br>Apollo 13 astronauts used it for repairs and the Apollo 17 astronauts used it to keep dust off the lunar rover?s fenders; it is now policy to have a roll on ever<br>y space shuttle mission.<br>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br> I worked on an experiment on SpaceLab 2 many years ago. The astronauts used duct tape to stick all kinds of things, including some experiments, to bulkheads on the Shuttle in order to keep them handy, and where they wanted them, in the microgravity environment.<br>Seth

#8354 - 08/19/02 03:10 AM Re: duct tape
forester Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Oregon
I've used it many times for clothing repair (especially rain gear), as makeshift gloves, to keep my truck running, etc. etc. My grandfather used to give a couple of rolls to me for Christmas and birthdays (and he's one of the relatives who actually likes me!). I just got my roll out of my PSK and measured it at 1 inch in diameter (for a generous 3 yards) - not much at all.<br><br>I've already read some of the other posts mentioning other uses. I'd like to hear any other uses. I've been to the link listing 100 uses for bandanas - I think we can make this 100 uses for duct tape.

#8355 - 08/19/02 03:17 AM Re: duct tape
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
Duct tape is an all around useful item to have for repairs.<br>It can be used to repair leaks in rafts / floats , tears in clothing and bags and if your shelter is leaking, it help you repair the shelter and keep you dry. In a pinch, it can also double up as a bandage with some clean cloth over the wound, the use is limited by your imagination.<br>It is waterproof and sticks to almost anything.<br>The problem is how to get this useful item into your kit. I myself don't fancy carrying a whole roll. It's too large and impractical.<br><br>The solution is to get duct tape from the roll. Start with a base of paper left over from the yellow paper which you peel stickers off. If you can find a sticker album ( for kids who collect stickers), cut some the width of the duct-tape and about half the length of your kit. Peel the duct tape off the roll and stick it onto the sticker paper. Duct tape will stick to itself but will peel off as well, so wrap it around your paper and you have a flat package of duct tape in your PSK!<br><br>I keep a 'flat roll' in my urban carry kit and has been immensely useful in repairing my kid's leaking float. The satisfaction that comes from looking at my happy kid running back to play in the pool with a newly repaired float cannot be described....<br><br>

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 501 Guests and 75 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.