Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#83613 - 01/24/07 07:54 PM Re: Best LED light for under $30?
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Huh, their web site doesn't list that one on the main page - only the sale page. I wonder if they are dumping the EOS (Trailblazer) in favor of the Quad (Trailblazer II).

Folks should grab the EOS while they can.

Ken K.

#83614 - 01/25/07 06:22 PM Re: Best LED light for under $30?
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
I have had the same Ray-o-vac headlamp for a couple of years now. It is cheap and it does work, but the light output is fairly weak. It is OK for close work, but not too good for distance. Better than nothing, though, and affordable at the price.

I also have two Black Diamond Xenix lamps (purchased for $25 each from www.steepandcheap.com), and one Princeton Tec Eos ($40 regular price). Of those, the Eos is my favorite because of the multiple light levels, and the Xenix is a close second.

After owning some "real" head lamps, the Ray-o-vac is something that I will just let the kids use.

#83615 - 01/25/07 10:22 PM Re: Best LED light for under $30?
m9key Offline

Loc: florida
princeton aurora one of there first but still durable and bright

#83616 - 02/03/07 08:52 AM Re: Best LED light for under $30?
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hi, I just came across this post.

There are a lot of good LED lights out there. There's also a fair amount of junk.

What is your intended use? Is brightness more of an issue than battery life? Do you want a focused, long-throw spot or a wide, diffused spill for general illumination? What about compactness and weight? These factors will influence your choices a lot.

I have had excellent luck (brightness and reliability) with both Princeton Tec and Streamlight products.

The Princeton Tec flashlights are quite bright, but not as blindingly bright as others. I believe this is on purpose. PT lights are tuned for wilderness use, giving them impressive battery life. They're also tough, surviving 6-foot drops with barely a scratch (generally accompanied by a booming cuss word on the way down). I agree that the Impact II is probably the best of the bunch, balancing weight, throw, brightness and battery life quite nicely. If I go backpacking and can only take one light, this is it. I also have an Impact XL. Again, a solid and durable light, but it's heavier (4AA) and the reflector tends to give a "doughnut" effect to the beam as power goes down.

The Streamlights also survive 6-foot drops without complaint (also followed down by that cuss word). They tend to be brighter than the Princeton Tecs, though that naturally reduces battery life somewhat. They are extremely popular in industrial settings, which is why safety supply stores carry them as well as sporting goods outlets. The propolymer 7 LED is a good general-purpose choice, though some say they run hot causing some of the LEDs to fail prematurely (I haven't had a problem). I suspect the propolymer luxeon will be even more impressive, though there will be a noticeable reduction in run time. The TaskLight luxeon 3AA is a sturdy powerhouse, but I find it a bit big to be handy for everyday carry, and I'm pretty sure it's more than $30 anyway.

Both the Princeton Tecs and Streamlights thrive on rechargeable batteries. If you're a frequent user, this saves you a lot of money. (And that in turn encourages you to be a frequent user.)

My favourite Streamlight is the 2AA TaskLight. Very tough and sturdy, fits in my pocket, and has a decent, bright beam. I would estimate the output to be somewhere around half a watt or so. Much brighter than the multiple-LED arrangements used in lights of similar size. It also has a high/low mode, so you can really conserve battery power if you need to.

The other 2AA light I use a lot is the MiniMagLED. It's perhaps 25% brighter than the TaskLight 2AA, and has a combination of a "spot" plus a wide "spill" that I find quite satisfying to use.

There is one big issue with the MMLED that everyone needs to be aware of: when the batteries drain to a certain point, it shuts off completely. No warning, no moonglow mode, just sudden darkness. It will give you a momentary flash when you turn it off and on, but that's it. This makes it a dicey choice for any critical situation, since you must carry a backup of some sort. Or, you must have spare batteries that you can get at immediately and change in the dark (without accidentally reversing polarity, which will fry the MMLED). This is a dismal and annoying flaw in an otherwise decent light.

Rather a long post. Sorry about that. Hope this is helpful.

#83617 - 02/03/07 06:54 PM Re: Best LED light for under $30?
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Welcome, Doug. Nice post. Thanks for your thoughts.

#83618 - 02/03/07 09:45 PM Re: Best LED light for under $30?
Buckshot13 Offline
Stranger

Loc: CA
I recently bought the 2 AA LED Maglite and have had no problems with it. I put it to good use when I was hunting about a week ago and got my car stuck on a dirt road out in the woods. It gave me plenty of light to work in. I'm glad I decided to take it along! (By the way, Trans Ams aren't really the best vehicles to take out hunting...lol)

#83619 - 02/04/07 12:52 AM Re: Best LED light for under $30?
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Arney, thanks for the welcome. This is a great forum. I'm a new/old/recycled member -- I've been around here since at least 2001, but my username expired. Since then, I've been lurking.

Buckshot13, you're right, the 2AA MagLED has a lot going for it. It's handy and gives lots of light. I'm glad to have it with me, as long as I remember to put in fresh batteries before I go. (The sudden shut-off isn't a flaw with an individual unit; it's inherent to the design of the LED regulation circuit. All the AA MagLEDs act this way.)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 302 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.