Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#82895 - 01/17/07 01:57 AM Re: Lessons from the Seattle Power Outage
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
Hi kghirardi

Not taking issue with your thoughts here, just forwarding a few observations...

"While I respect your view on Generator sizes, most smaller units (Honda's excepted) don't last long."

While I generally concur, longevity also depends heavily upon the environment and how units are operated...I've observed some pretty nice units turn into trash due to negligence. Our Coleman Powermate 5kW gasoline unit is still kicking along pretty nicely, it was purchased just after Hurricane Andrew and has about 600 hours on it. This is attributed to:

1. It was treated with Microlon (engine oil treatment) when it was first purchased and has been serviced with 25-30 hour oil changes, air filter checked and/or replaced regularily and only two carburetor rebuilds with four fuel filter reprlacements (we put on a very large inline fuel filter to replace the original). [Microlon Disclaimer: Not a sales pitch, or vested interest, just a product that seems to work.]

2. When we run it, (typically once a month for at least half an hour) we typically take a household box fan and blow it towards the genset from about 5 feet away (and take advantage of any prevailing breeze as well). I always figure that it was worth the 1 to 2 amps of 120 volt output to ensure that there was not a build up of heat.

3. When we exercise the genset, we also apply a load to it, typically two of the old fashioned parabolic coil heater space heaters (antiques, but they still work). The thought here is that the load can be almost anything, but be sure to load your genset up to at least 65-75% of capacity when you exercise it. This helps to dry out any moisture that has condensed on the windings and put a load on the engine itself. Running a motor without a load, particularly at moderate to higher rpms for that motor is not conducive to longevity.
Granted, it is a much bigger and slightly different animal than the 5kW aircooled genset, however the principle is still there.

4. It is not run in sandy and/or wet areas, when it is raining, we keep it under a rainshed of somesort, this has ranged from makeshift awnings, to tarps to covered overhangs of buildings. Typically I try to have about six feet of clearance above it and open sides where practical.

"Change the oil on a regular basis and especially after the first 3 to 5 hours of use. Use Stabil or equivalent fuel stabilizer. Lacquer is no fun to keen out of a carburetor etc."

CONCUR. BTDT. Gas Stabil has been pretty effective in my experience. Rated amount placed in 5 gallon cans, then the can is topped off with gas. Cycle the fuel cans (first in = first out). I've use stored fuel that has been six months old without problems.

One way of cycling the fuel is to have several cans on hand, and use the fuel as you exercise the genset / run the lawnmowers etc. and never let yourself get below 2 of 3 cans [or drums or what ever works best for your situation]. This way you only have to refill one at a time.

"Also fuel consumption is less true than claimed by advertising. The fuel math is a little jaded too. You will burn the fuel equal to your power setting (load)."

CONCUR. Treat all consumption and lifetime expectancies with suspicion until you have actual experience with the unit in question.

"What you seem to be saying is that the minimum fuel use (or flow rate floor) is higher in larger generators, but that's not really true."

Hmmm...while the smaller engines might be relatively in-expensive to replace, when you get to the larger engines, there are actually guidelines as to minimum loading recommendations. The manufacturers operating guidelines for a 1megawatt Caterpillar genset (~1,600 HP?) at work indicates that it gets unhappy at less than about 15-20% loading. {unburned diesel accumulations in the exhaust system etc.]

"More or less you will consume fuel based on the power consumption. The difference in fuel efficiently isn't like an automobile where the large car weights more than the compact."

CONCUR, the loading / power consumption will directly impact the fuel consumption.

"Also remember that the performance ratings are not really continuous duty unless the generator is name plated as such. It's nice to have some head room in capacity, you never know what you are going to run into or need."

CONCUR

"Fuel can still be saved if necessary by just running the generator on & off time as a 1 hour on 1 hour off for most things (like fridges, microwaves etc)."

CONCUR. Suggest scheduling removals of food in batches, rather than keep looking in all the time just to enjoy the cool air (gotta watch the kids here...)

"The bigger generators also typically regulate better and have more stability and reduced electrical noise (but not always acoustical noise of course)"

CONCUR in general, there are some bigger units that are not really that good when you get them on an occilliscope. With power quality it pays to try to get a genset that is "brushless" and has good speed control. There are many generators out there where they can / need to be larger, but electronic nois & power quality is not an issue, i.e. industrial gensets used for jobsite welding.

Sidenote: When operating any high dollar electronic equipment from smaller generators / poorly regulated units etc., it is wise to use an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) inbetween the generator and computer / television etc.

"You can build/buy an enclosure to reduce acoustical noise."

CONCUR. Ref. my notes #2 & #4 above.

"One final thought, mark your calendar or set an appointment, but run the generator once a month for at least a little while."

CONCUR. Add to the list, check that the spare parts / filters / plugs / oil / belts etc. that you have already purchased are REALLY the correct item / type for YOUR particular unit.
>Wry grin<...don't ask how I know this... ;-)

"We have a number of gen-set both personally and at work. Many has been the time when someone tried to fire up a generator for an emergency unexpected need) and couldn't."

CONCUR, this is so true here as well...

[Due to the age and runtime of our Powermate, we're planning on getting a Honda, albeit costing more $ due to the increase in efficiency and lower noiseprint, the Powermate IS a racket maker and while I believe in preventive maintenance, I think that this one is getting "long in the tooth", besides, redundancy is a wonderful thing.]

Regards,
Comanche7

#82896 - 01/17/07 02:03 AM Re: Lessons from the Seattle Power Outage
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
beadles,

Another "gotcha" with those cheapie imports is that the output voltage may be listed as 100 instead of 120 and/or 200 instead of 220-240. For an incandescent lamp or a heater, this is not really an issue, however for motors and electronics this can present much grief. Then on top of the low output voltage, when you factor in the line losses (reduced voltage at the far end of your extension cords) it can really get ugly.

Regards,
Comanche7

#82897 - 01/17/07 02:06 AM Re: Lessons from the Seattle Power Outage
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
This is correct. Water can only flow two ways: it can be pumped upwards, or flow by gravity downwards.

What you described is pretty typical. A community will pump water up to an elevated tank, then let the water flow by gravity back down into town. This keeps the pumps running less and provides a good, usable pressure.

In some cases there is no water tank to feed an area by gravity, and instead water is pumped via "booster pumps" into the area, with the pumps providing operating pressure. These are generally very small parts of a town at an elevation higher than the storage tanks. So unless you live on the highest hill/mountain around town and can look down on everyone else and the city lights, you probably aren't in such an area.

Where you might run into a problem (in either case) is if the electricity to the pump stations go out and/or there is no backup generator, or the generator has run out of fuel. In that case the water department might (hopefully) have a backup connection to another water provider or system for use during emergencies.

#82898 - 01/17/07 09:32 AM Re: Lessons from the Seattle Power Outage
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Aloha RAS,

I am not sure. It was a picture I pulled up off the web. I can check mine tomorrow if you like. It is identical. I have seen the same product under various brands and they are sold for over $35 - 40 on some sites. But they are available at various stores, including Walmart for just under $20. It runs on a butane canister $2-3 which lasts for hours. I have two in the house and extra fuel canisters. They are awesome in a power outage and are great for family camping. But not for extended lugging around on foot.

#82899 - 01/17/07 09:36 AM Re: Refridgerator strategy
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
In Hawaii, we use a gravity system where reservoirs are uphill and gravity maintains great water pressure when the power is out. The power is to pump water into the reservoirs.

#82900 - 01/17/07 04:52 PM Re: Lessons from the Seattle Power Outage
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

You sort of mentioned it, but one other thing that really came home during the storm (and other events lately) is how seriously we have micro climates and micro occurrences/events around here.

For example, your point about the east side being a wreck, but things were pretty normal in downtown Seattle.

As time went on this became more and more acute. As things returned to normal, there were still pockets where they didn't have power or other services.

With the snow and ice we have been having lately, some streets and areas are completely dry and others are sheets of ice, stranding the local inhabitants.

-john

#82901 - 01/17/07 06:08 PM Re: Lessons from the Seattle Power Outage
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
You're right about the micro cimates. I believe we are going to see more occurances and more extreme examples.

#82902 - 01/17/07 08:23 PM Re: Lessons from the Seattle Power Outage
capsu78 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chicagoland IL
Lesson #10 Cold food sucks
Our house has no gas. As I mentioned I had no generator. I had no butane camping burners or other such stoves. I don’t even own a BBQ grill (not that I could have found charcoal to put in it after the first 12 hours). I could have tried to cook awkwardly over the fire in the fireplace, but mostly ate cold food. Yeah, you can survive on cold canned stew quite well – just don’t plan to enjoy it.

I think that one of the least expensive ways to have prevented this would be to keep an eye open at Garage sales or larger second hand shops or Ebay for a covered chafing dish. Lots of folks pitch then out when they "declutter". I bought one for 2 bucks, fire it up with sterno (about $2 for 3 cans) and I actually have used it to entertain. Cooking right at the table is a big hit... you should taste my seafood nuburg!
Anyway, it is a kitchen appliance that has fallen out of favor, provides a great cooking surface with either direct Sterno flame or as a double boiler and it is energy effcient.
I know I could have done something with that canned stew. Swing by your local China town, pick up a 2 level 6 inch bamboo steamer (I paid - wait for it- $2 for mine) and now you can fry, steam or double boil for a very low investment.

And while you are looking for a chafing dish, look for a cast iron Dutch oven w/ lid... Most women "declutter" these when they upgrade to Allclad. I picked up one ($4) and almost everthing I have cooked in it has come out great. I wouldn't hesitate to use it over burning wood embers in my fireplace. I even use it on my BBQ as well.
That way your fiance doesn't have to watch as you put her new Allclad pot in the fireplace!

Edited by capsu78 (01/17/07 08:27 PM)

#82903 - 01/17/07 09:26 PM Propane powered generator?
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I've got a couple of batteries that I keep charged (one gel cell, one marine) for emergency power, but they aren't going to last long enough for a week's power outage (I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, and in a major earthquake, I'd expect power to be out longer than a week). The issue of gasoline going bad and diesel generators "wet stacking" has kept me from considering buying one.

Nobody here has mentioned propane powered generators; why is that? The fuel won't go bad, can be used for cooking and heating, and so on. Are propane powered generators just not ubiquitous enough for consideration or are there problems?

#82904 - 01/18/07 02:24 AM Re: Propane powered generator?
Blacktop Offline

Loc: Cypress, TX
I think propane generators are the way to go. A farmer friend of mine has converted all of his irrigation pumps to propane power. He says that due to the clean burning nature of the fuel, the engines last a lot longer and require less maintenance, plus can easily be converted back to gasoline if the propane runs out. We are looking at either propane or natural gas fueled stationary units (a whole house generator).

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 563 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.