Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#82337 - 02/14/07 05:34 PM Re: She's Back!
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...science" is nothing but an educated attempt to put the natural world into terms that make sense to us. It's actually nothing more than a best guess..."

That would be a SWAG (Scientific Wild A**ed Guess.

Us mortals just make a WAG.

And, for the most part, I totally agree with you. If we don't have eyeball witnesses to what happened a jilliion years ago, we are just making SWAG's...

#82338 - 02/15/07 04:32 AM Re: She's Back!
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Nighthiker,
...because I believe this to be true, I agree and even considered posting basically the same thing as you said...only I don;t hink I could have worded it so well. Science is seeking answers to all unknowns and, in the interim, they're often venturing guesses and proclaiming them to be fact. Meanwhile, they keep working and the guesses keep coming and the facts keep "evolving".

Oldbaldguy,
We really don;t need witnesses to what happened LESS THAN a million years ago, science has at least learned enough to KNOW we had an ice age, and that it wasn;t the first. Exactly how it occurred and how it may occurr again is still baffling to them though, so you're right, it's a SWAG most of the time. BUT, algore knows the facts (just ask him or watch his proffered Oscar winner). He has just been unable, so far, to convince the real scientists that he has all the answers and they don;t. And sadly, in my opinion only, many millions of people believe him and others about this "man made" phenomenon.

#82339 - 02/15/07 02:50 PM Re: She's Back!
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Wow... I thought the military was still up there. I did a little searching and discovered a neat website about Adak with lots and lots of pictures from over the years:

http://www.orneveien.org/adak/

#82340 - 02/15/07 09:01 PM Re: She's Back!
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Poor Al. This isn't going to be as easy as inventing the internet.

#82341 - 02/19/07 07:03 PM Re: She's Back!
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
I've just heard of a report of Rusha being added to that list, -here in mid-february 07. [color:"black"] [/color] [email]ScottRezaLogan[/email]

#82342 - 02/19/07 07:14 PM Re: She's Back!
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

I think there's a good chance that Global Warming is more "Natural Made" than Man Made. Though the Industrial Revolution on up to today is an Undeniable Fact. I do listen to a lot of Rush / Shawn / Savage / Quinn & Rose / and Beck "Pooh-Poohing" it off, -but they and quite more than a few Scientists they cite, -may well have something there. I'm like a Jury having to sit this one out. In any event, -we can all make a Go at claiming Branson's recent 1 Million Prize for a Carbon Catching Solution! (All Round, -Branson's quite a guy!). [color:"black"] [/color] [email]ScottRezaLogan[/email]

Edited by ScottRezaLogan (02/19/07 08:39 PM)

#82343 - 02/19/07 07:35 PM Re: She's Back!
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Wags and Swags yes, -but this still doesn't excuse us from trying to get a Grip on, and come to a Solution (or at least a "No More Worsening"), -of a given Real or Possibly Real Enuff of a Problem / Challenge. And I'm one with some considerable Doubts as to the level of Man Made & Total Global Warming, -and of its level of Seriousness. Still, -we can't just Opt Out of a Looming Enuff Issue, -just because it is this much or that much of a Wag or Swag. I'm sure that many other examples currently and thruout History exist, -where Man did *not* just Bow Out, -but rather Grabbed the Bull by the Horns and Addressed such! Many of these too quite Unknown and Waggish or Swaggish, -at their Time. And Man thereby Saved his Tail and Day! (I do not have such Specifics at the tip of my mind, -but again I'm sure that many exist). [color:"black"] [/color] [email]ScottRezaLogan[/email]

#82344 - 02/19/07 08:56 PM Re: She's Back!
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
One thing to keep in mind about the "man-made" global warming…

No one is saying that mankind is the cause of global warming itself. Earth was going through climate change cycles long before mankind inhabited the land. What people/scientists are citing as "man-made" is the fact that this cycle of climate change seems to be progressing much, much faster than any others researched.

#86124 - 02/20/07 04:53 PM Re: She's Back! [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
JC, you may be right if you said "few are saying mankind is the cause..." (few being the operative word). But, "many" are implying that we can arrest the rate of warming. In my opinion, this is impossible and, as Nighthiker said, egotistical and, I would add, ludicrous.

The reason the cycle is progressing faster and faster isn't alarming to me, it's just sensical....normal...expected.

That's not to say that I don;t support good practices by "us" in using fossil fuels and other resources, but I support that so we have a healtheir environment.... NOT because I think it might have any effect on the earth's cyclical meteorological events.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (chaosmagnet, Eugene), 482 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.