Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#82171 - 01/09/07 07:04 PM Re: What is your opinion of Ken Barnes?
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I don't think he would have been in any better position with more people aboard. They couldn't have solved the problems he had any more than he could alone.

Sue

#82172 - 01/09/07 07:48 PM Re: What is your opinion of Ken Barnes?
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
That depends on what sort of sails you have and if you have a keelstone. You don't sail directly into the wind but you can angle into it. A properly designed sailing ship can get up to quite an acute angle. It's all a matter of transfering the kinetic energy transfered from the wind into the hull via the keelstone. I don't fully understand the physics of it. If we have any mariners on the forum perhaps they might be able to enlighten us?

#82173 - 01/09/07 11:12 PM Re: What is your opinion of Ken Barnes?
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I guess I am one of those who believe in holding people more accountable for their actions. Since it is my tax dollars (along with the vast majority, I'm not the only one to suffer the loss) that are going to fund these rescue missions, I'd just as soon that the person(s) daring to undertake unnecessary risks that cause agencies to deploy to rescue their butts ought not do it unless they have some means of remunerating the costs of said rescue ops. I just don't like the idea of paying good money to fund someone else's endeavors, when I am thus economically incapable of pursuing my own reckless (or maybe not so much, depending on your perspective) activities. It's one thing if they have some legitimate purpose behind their actions, some greater good that they are trying to serve; there's some justification in that I reckon, but to climb the mountain in the middle of winter just because it's there??? I say go for it only if you can afford to pay for the consequences of your actions. Take out insurance against such foolhardy activities and find out just what kind of economic effect it has before blindly going for it and counting on someone else to bail them out if TSHTF.

Kinda goes with my general philosophy about helping others who are not willing to help themselves I guess. It doesn't happen very often.

I guess I am too much the curmudgeon these days to tolerate someone else thinking they are just entitled to sticking their hand in my pocket anytime they feel the need. I got two daughters and a wife that do that often enough, thank you very much.

#82174 - 01/10/07 02:44 AM Re: What is your opinion of Ken Barnes?
Simon Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Quote:
I don't think he would have been in any better position with more people aboard. They couldn't have solved the problems he had any more than he could alone.

If he would have been knocked unconscious, he could have handled it better on his own then.

#82175 - 01/10/07 02:51 PM Re: What is your opinion of Ken Barnes?
beadles Offline

Loc: Richardson, TX
Here's an ARRL post regarding his ham communications. It appears his sat phone was sporadic, but this Californian ham was able to provide Barnes family with information via contact with the Chilean trawler that picked him up.

http://www.arrl.org/w1aw/2007-arlb002.html

#82176 - 01/10/07 03:02 PM Re: What is your opinion of Ken Barnes?
Simon Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Thanks for the link Beadles, I notice the U.S. Coast Guard had to guarantee to cover some expenses:

"The Chilean Navy coordinated the operation and recruited the Polar Pesca 1 to undertake the actual rescue, although Morales says the US Coast Guard agreed to cover the expense."

Now all I wonder is if the Chileans and the U.S. Coast Guard will end up billing anything to Ken Barnes? Kind of doubt it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 303 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.