Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#81968 - 01/03/07 01:45 PM Ruggedized Cell Phones -- any thoughts??
jds Offline
Stranger

I came accross an article in the "Money and Careers" section of Long Island's "Newsday" daily on December 31. The article was titled
"A Wireless Phone that can go through a wringer". Here is the link -- if the link does not work then go to the "newsday.com" site and search for the Author's name "Himowitz". The author describes how he threw the phone against a wall, ran it through the washer -- and even dialed the phone and heard it ring as it went through the "wash cycle" etc.

Verizon G'zOne Review

Considering how an ordinary cell phone might be rendered inoperable at the very moment when it is most needed for survival (ie. car accident, dropped on the pavement, lands in a puddle) I would think that upgrading to a "ruggedized" phone may well be wise.
Has anyone on the forums had experiences with such "ruggedized cell phones"??

#81970 - 01/03/07 06:48 PM Re: Ruggedized Cell Phones -- any thoughts??
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Nextel and its proprietary Motorola phones pretty much has a lock on the "rugged phone" market, although the iDen network isn't generally much good for rural/wilderness use. Any rugged phone competitor needs to compete with Nextel, and in particular, with Direct Connect. I don't think that anyone can. I think every carrier except T-Mobile has tried to come up with their own push-to-talk solution but they all failed. Direct Connect works and works well so I don't think any rugged phone competitor will last long because buyers like construction or fleet operators won't want to lose Direct Connect, and the consumer market for rugged phones seems very slim.

Actually, someone remind me, what's going to happen to Direct Connect? Was Sprint slated to phase that out? Didn't Sprint sell that spectrum back to the FCC?

If you want one of these Casio phones, better get one now since I predict that it will disappear relatively soon. Too bad that it doesn't work with analog networks either.

#81971 - 01/03/07 08:51 PM Re: Ruggedized Cell Phones -- any thoughts??
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
My Nokia 1100 Tracfone has been through the wash. Twice.
Still works. Just needs some drying time.

#81972 - 01/04/07 03:10 AM Re: Ruggedized Cell Phones -- any thoughts??
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
Amen! Toughest phone I've ever had--including some green ones the Army gave me :0

#81973 - 01/04/07 03:58 AM Re: Ruggedized Cell Phones -- any thoughts??
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
Sprint is indeed going to eventually phase out Nextel. It will still hang on for a couple of years just because a lot of businesses use it.

My own experience with Nextel is that those are the LAST phones that you would want to have in the wilderness. Some models might survive harsh conditions, and they will work great once you get into the city, but reception is a problem. Nextel even has absolutely no coverage on I-70 between Denver and Kansas.

#81974 - 01/04/07 12:46 PM Re: Ruggedized Cell Phones -- any thoughts??
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I totally agree with Arney and Harkev. We have the Motorola model 305 (w/rubber armor) with the Nextel service. The problem is when we are in cross country mode. Away from the cities, reception ranges from "poor" to "hit and miss", at best.
I have found that Alltel and Cingular networks provide the best overall coverage with only a few "voids", here and there, as we go cross country via the Gulf Intracoastal Canal (GICW) and the Western Rivers.

#81975 - 01/04/07 06:11 PM Re: Ruggedized Cell Phones -- any thoughts??
jds Offline
Stranger

I agree with your observation about the quad-band RAZR being able to communicate in more areas. The author of the G'zOne review in fact pointed out that one weakness of the phone was it's inability to "fall back" into analog mode if a digital cell tower could not be contacted.

Thus, in addition to basic ruggedness, we should narrow our search to phones capable of operating on several "cellular bands" (I don't know the correct terminology).

Now the question is -- are you willing to put your RAZR through the dreaded washing-machine test and tried to call it while in the wash cycle -- as the author of the G'zOne review did?? :-)

#81977 - 01/12/07 08:01 PM Re: Ruggedized Cell Phones -- any thoughts??
Dragonscript Offline

I have an I630 from Nextel, the kind that are made to milspec, and it has survived an enraged engineer throwing it against a cinderblock building from a couple dozen yards away.

Theoretically it could survive I mean, not that I would do something like that.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 309 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.