Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#81915 - 01/04/07 03:04 PM Re: Extra Gas in SUV
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Quote:
As for how long it takes to go bad, I try and not let it sit for longer than a month even with Sta-Bil.

That's a little over conservative. I've stored gas in tightly sealed cans with Sta-Bil for over a year with no problems. Maybe cycle it out every six months if you are worried about it. YMMV.

Craig.

#81916 - 01/04/07 04:33 PM Re: Extra Gas in SUV
TimLarson Offline
Stranger

"How does one go about storing extra gasoline in the back of an SUV?"

Never. Fumes aside, It's far too dangerous, for the reasons mentioned in the event of a collision from explosion or a filled can hurtling through the cabin. Even if you weren't somehow injured, it's hard to imagine a plaintiff's lawyer not having a field day if someone else in the vehicle was. Roof-mounting a DOT-approved can, preferably a NATO steel model with cam-operated locking top, is probably safest. It is non-vented and expands with temperature (and is built to withstand this, the Afrika Korps and later the Allies used them in 130-degree Saharan summers with no problems). The best mount is on a rear frame- or a roof-mounted steel rack (tends to crack and break fewer parts with the constant pounding off-pavement), with the can secured into a heavy-gauge G.I. (not aftermarket) steel can holder - I've noticed leaks with all other types of containers when used on an SUV off-road. The roof mount is probably safer than the rear frame-mount, but there is still a risk when installing and removing filled cans. I also cushioned the bottom of the can in its fitted GI holder to prevent metal-to-metal wear (incidentally, plastic tanks stored without special pouch-type holders or plenty of protective padding on roof racks will wear through even faster off-pavement). You'll need a lot more than a bungee cord in the event of hard bumps or a collision.

However, even using exterior-mounted gasoline containers is a fairly dangerous activity when dismounting, decanting, and refilling them - just watch your friends back away from you when you begin. A rear-end collision, a spark from dropping a can while taking it from the roof - lots of bad possibilities there. Never fill the can until just before heading off-pavement, and do not drive for any distance on roads shared by other vehicles.

Better solution is a larger, heavy-duty fixed tank in the stock location. The best solution? Probably a fuel-efficient diesel-engined vehicle with large factory tanks, which is what I eventually decided upon.

#81917 - 01/04/07 07:42 PM Re: Extra Gas in SUV
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Pull the spare tire from under and mount it on a roof or rear rack and mount a second tank even.
I lot of pickup trucks are available with dual tanks when you get into the 3/4 ton and above, you can buy a nice Diesel 3/4 ton quad cab truck with two 25 gallon tanks for the same price as an SUV, get better mileage and have more range.

#81918 - 01/04/07 09:42 PM Re: Extra Gas in SUV
JimJr Offline

Loc: Central Mississippi
Quote:
A rear-end collision, a spark from dropping a can while taking it from the roof - lots of bad possibilities there. Never fill the can until just before heading off-pavement, and do not drive for any distance on roads shared by other vehicles.

A bit alarmist, if you will permit me. A full fuel tank is much safer than one that is, say, 2/3's or less full. Liquid gasoline doesn't burn, at least not at "normal" temperatures. It is gasoline vapor which is so (very) flammable. Very few car crashes, even those where the fuel tank is ruptured, result in a post crash fire. Use an approved container, store it outside the passenger compartment and be careful, not fearful.

#81919 - 01/04/07 11:51 PM Re: Extra Gas in SUV
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
Why not an aftermarket spare fuel tank? With a switch to convert between your regular tank and the backup?

One thing I've noticed about late-model vehicles...there's plenty of "exterior" cubby space (not in the passenger compartment, but under the shell) where a smallish (5 gallons or less) tank would fit.

#81920 - 01/05/07 03:07 AM Re: Extra Gas in SUV
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
I wouldn't put too much stock in rumors. I've heard some whoppers during storms that were way off base. But I do know someone that was held up at gunpoint on the outskirts of a search and rescue task force staging area. They wanted the tank trailer he was moving with his SUV. He assumes they thought it was full of gasoline rather than the water it held. People are crazy.

I heard at least one report of a person that evacuated from Houston in a gas-electric hybrid. While others ran out of gas or waiting in long long lines for gas, they made it to their destination on a single tank with some gas left over. A Ford Escape hybrid would definately be a good choice for sitting in traffic for 12 hours. I'd peel off the "Hybrid" logo before I left though, to keep a lower profile.

#81921 - 01/05/07 07:38 PM Re: Extra Gas in SUV
TimLarson Offline
Stranger

"A bit alarmist, if you will permit me. A full fuel tank is much safer than one that is, say, 2/3's or less full. Liquid gasoline doesn't burn, at least not at "normal" temperatures. It is gasoline vapor which is so (very) flammable. Very few car crashes, even those where the fuel tank is ruptured, result in a post crash fire. Use an approved container, store it outside the passenger compartment and be careful, not fearful."

That's your opinion, but I certainly don't take any comfort from it. The possibility of fire is present any time external fuel cans are opened, refilled, or used to refill the main tank. People can and have incinerated themselves from generated sparks when refilling the main tank from a spare can, as well as causing fires at filling stations. Not to mention what happens when a external fuel can comes free in a collision, ruptures, and spills its contents over the accident scene. Factory tanks are (usually) designed to be resistant to rupturing and leaks after a collision, but DOT-approved external fuel cans are not (I have found many so-called 'approved' containers start leaking after their first off-road trip). What risk you choose to assume is your own business, what you impose on your fellow motorists is not. Since there isn't really any reason, 90% of the time, to carry filled gas cans for long distances on paved highways, best to leave them empty until you're ready to head off-pavement.

#81922 - 01/05/07 09:03 PM Re: Roof rack gas storage
monkey Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
OK Mavrick, do I see Goose sitting there next to you? You on the highway to the danger zone?? By the look on your face I'd guess you tried to run down your photographer on the next pass!!!

I agree with Markantes about these tanks. The low profile makes them extremely convienent and they are very simple to secure. Obviously not the cheapest, but the only thing I can find anywhere near this shape/size.

m

#81923 - 01/06/07 12:54 AM Re: Roof rack gas storage
jmarkantes Offline

Loc: Portland, OR, USA
Yeah, actually now that you mention it the photographer has never been quite the same since then... Of course, he's been pretty nuts as long as I've known him.

But MAN, that was a fun trip.
J

#81924 - 01/06/07 01:17 AM Re: Roof rack gas storage
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
The red version that the guy is holding up in the Cabelas photo looks like one of those kneeling pads that you use for gardening. Or maybe a backboard that the EMS types use.

I do agree that it's low profile and certainly doesn't shout "Gas here!" to strangers.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 543 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.