Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#81816 - 01/04/07 04:47 AM Re: Maxpedition Proteus based kit
beadles Offline

Loc: Richardson, TX
Safety pins and sewing kit, good idea. The bivy, I'll just have to try one and see. I don't think the reflective band is big enough, certainly not air visible. The safety vest is a sop to that. I'd rather have something like a bright orange sil tarp, something that'd be bigger but pack smaller, but never seen one.

I think the transpiration bags are essential, to be honest. I'm here in Texas, where there aren't that many creeks, and if I got stuck in the summer I'd be quickly in trouble. I've done the Hotter than Hell 100mi bike ride in 109 degree heat and finished in good order, and am confident that I'd want a lot of water. I really need to experiment with the transpiration bags to see how much water I'd get with them.

#81817 - 01/04/07 04:55 AM Re: Maxpedition Proteus based kit
beadles Offline

I don't think I'd do canteens, but I do have a couple of 48 oz nalgene bottles and a Snow Peak cup in the truck 72 hr kit. What I'd need is some way to carry them on my body. Of course, I also have the Jetboil in there. What I don't have is something packable to carry it all in.

In any case, neither the canteens or nalgenes are packable on the proteus proper - they're just too big. Could put one on a countycomm bag.

#81818 - 01/04/07 08:18 AM Re: Maxpedition Proteus based kit
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I've got a CC bag- a 32oz nalgene fits, but it takes up most of the bag. You'd loose gear trying that.

Are you planning on carrying this by the handle, around the waist or over the shoulder? Another possibility is using the molle straps on the back to anchor a pouch for one of the small bladders, say a 50 ounce bladder in an Emdom SUV pouch or something similiar, which will ride fairly flat, particularly if turned sideways and annex clipped into place.

Or you could just add one of the cheapie water bottle carriers from coglan's- they adapt to fit anything, and they cost more to ship than to buy.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#81819 - 01/05/07 01:50 PM Re: Maxpedition Proteus based kit
beadles Offline

Generally, I never found fanny packs to be very comfortable. I'd expect to either loop it over my shoulder or have it attached to another pack.

Here's an interesting solution to the Nalgine problem:
http://www.supplycaptain.com/store/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=309
If you don't mind digital camo...

And:
http://triadtactical.com/tab1/store/category/9qqr/Pockets.html%253Fcategory_id%253D9qqr

And more here:
http://www.texastacticalgear.com/index.p...5d619c007b301b6

#81820 - 01/06/07 11:27 PM Re: Maxpedition Proteus based kit
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> I picked up recently one of the knock offs from CheaperThanDirt.com.

You're talking about the Molle Urban Deployment Bag, right? (330, 302, etc, depending on color.) I'm not seeing a way to use that out of the box as a fanny pack; looks like shoulder strap only. I'm interesting in the fanny pack rather than over the shoulder - am I missing something on the Molle (I hope - it's waaaay cheaper).

#81821 - 01/07/07 01:12 AM Re: Maxpedition Proteus based kit
311 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NY USA
Max Proteus has waist straps, the CC knockoff does not.

#81822 - 01/07/07 03:21 AM Re: Maxpedition Proteus based kit
lawlessman Offline

Loc: TEXAS
Great idea.............I too keep the essentials handy on a daily basis. Mine varies somewhat from yours in that I always keep a weapon & ammo packed, med. supplies, and such. Being from Texas also, I need to have more prep. for water than possibly some others might. I don't like the buttpack carry very well, I prefer the shoulder bag from the same folks that made your bag.............and I like to carry on my left side rather than my right ( I am right handed). I use a cane for extended walking, and it has numerous other benefits as you might imagine. Remember............."the more you know....the less you need.
Good luck....................Mike

#81823 - 01/07/07 03:32 AM Re: Maxpedition Proteus based kit
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Waist straps aren't needed if you supply your own belt. The CountyComm EOD bag has MOLLE straps, and they work just fine on belts of all sized. It isn't knock off of the Proteus, by the way, it isn't even close, nor was it intended to be, in the same sense that the Civic is is not a knock off of the Focus (or the other way around).

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#81824 - 01/07/07 06:42 AM Re: Maxpedition Proteus based kit
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> Waist straps aren't needed if you supply your own belt.

True. My interest is in a fanny pack, not one that I loop onto my trouser belt, so that I can move it around my body and can take it off quickly when I sit. I can do that with other gear that gives me a strap and quick release buckles. The issue is whether the deployment bag then works well as a fanny pack or whether it loses its shape and functionality when cinched around my waist instead of being hung from a shoulder.

It looks like the proteus bag has a wider webbing where it attaches to the bag, unlike the Molle and the CountyComm EOD. I suspect the Molle and EOD would cinch and bind at the belt.

#81825 - 01/08/07 03:42 PM Re: Maxpedition Proteus based kit
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
Quote:
That paracord hanging on the outside is gonna snag on everything.

What about putting the paracord in a stuff sack...like a Granite Gear....wouldn't be as susceptable to snaggage. Haven't tried it with my Proteus, but it is something to consider.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 317 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.