Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#81662 - 12/31/06 06:00 PM Pre-paid phone card
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
Even though my wife and I both always carry our cell phones I'm thinking about getting a couple of pre-paid phone cards as EDC.
Thinking that we could carry them in our wallets (no weight) and have them for emergency use. Also thought about putting one in the glove box of each of the cars.
I've never bought/used them before. Does anyone here have any experience with them? If so what would you recommend?

#81663 - 12/31/06 06:16 PM Re: Pre-paid phone card
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I got AT&T cards from Wal-Mart. There are several diffierent denominations available. These cards may be a little more expensive than others, but they DO NOT EXPIRE. Thare are lots of cards by various companies out there, but you need to read the fine print. Most of the cheap ones expire in 60 days.

Craig.

#81664 - 12/31/06 06:54 PM Re: Pre-paid phone card
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Stick with the big companies like
Sprint and AT&T.
The other brands are rip offs, have hidden fees and expire.

#81665 - 12/31/06 07:22 PM Re: Pre-paid phone card
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Why prepaid? Why not just a regular calling card? I assume they still have these. I used to use one - AT&T - years ago. Probably still have it somewhere, but we just use cellphones now (free long distance). We have found places where cellphones don't work though, but that is rare now-a-days. You don't need to carry the actual card if you don't want. Just write down the numbers on notecards and slip copies into various wallets, purses, kits, etc. You don't pay anything up front (at least you didn't have to). Never use the card - never pay a thing - nothing to expire on you. Rates were the same as regular long distance from your home (I think), not the inflated rates/hidden fees of some to the prepaid cards. Things may have changed over the years, I'm telling you stuff about regular calling cards as they existed BEFORE cellphones where the norm.

#81666 - 12/31/06 07:47 PM Re: Pre-paid phone card
bmisf Offline

Depends how you're going to use them, too.

The WalMart/AT&T ones have HUGE fees for using pay phones, and other surcharges.

The Costco MCI cards are a great buy and also have one of the lowest charge for using a pay phone.

I found a site that lists all of the brands of cards and their surcharges - sorry I don't have the URL, but do a google search and you should be able to find it.

#81667 - 12/31/06 07:54 PM Re: Pre-paid phone card
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Here's an informative site from the Federal Trade Commission on pre-paid calling cards, and the difference between them and regular long distance calling cards:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/products/buytime.htm

Sue

#81668 - 12/31/06 08:17 PM Re: Pre-paid phone card
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
I used to have one many moons ago too. My problem now is that I use my cable provider for telephone service and they don't offer calling cards.

#81669 - 12/31/06 08:34 PM Re: Pre-paid phone card
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
My problem now is that I use my cable provider for telephone service and they don't offer calling cards.
This may not prevent you from setting up an AT&T (or other vendor) normal long distance account. Your cellphone vendor may even have something available that could be used with landlines. It would be worth checking out. Of course, if there's a monthly service charge just to keep an (unused) account open, then that would eat up any cost savings pretty rapidly. A higher cost per minute plan might be better than a lower minute cost + service fee plan, if such an option exists. A few phone calls to check out various vendor's offerings couldn't hurt. Sign up for their long distance plan. You don't have to tell them you never really plan to use it (or are incapable of using it given your cable phone service).

Or, if this calling card is just for emergencies, buy yourself a low dollar one from a major vendor and just eat the higher costs and be done with it. Just remember that if you're in some disaster or other situation where you need landline long distance, you'll probably need more of it than you originally estimated.

#81670 - 12/31/06 10:48 PM Re: Pre-paid phone card
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
This subject was discussed several times in the past. A review of the archives by setting the search date to all and including all forums/threads should provide several minutes of reading on the subject.
FWIW
We've been using the Costco cards since they introduced them and a copy of their calling / refill # is included with the calling card # in each of our family PSK's as well as on a small label maker tape wrapped in a spiral around the batteries in our ARC AAA and AA flashlights that are EDC. We've used the callling card several times when cell service and other providers were not available. The Costco card does need to be used every so often (yearly?). At the time we purchased it, it was the lowest priced per minute card available and it can be refilled.
SIDENOTE: I've included a Costco "CASH" card in each of our USK's ($30-$50) which has come in handy from time to time. These can also be used at the Costco stores (having gas stations) to purchase gas in addition to the normal purchasing in the store itself. Like the phone cards, these are also refillable. In some areas there may not be a Costco nearby for you, but there are many other brands of cash cards now...everybody is on the bandwagon it seems. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Comanche7

#81671 - 12/31/06 11:27 PM Re: Pre-paid phone card
Seeker890 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
I carry a 500 min. AT&T prepaid phone card from Sam's Club. The "per minute" charges are very low with the high minute cards. I use my cell phone for all our long distance. However, there are times that I don't have service, such as at some of the more remote camps the Scouts go to. AT&T charges extra minutes to use the card at a pay phone. Considering that it is just an emergency back up, I don't worry too much about it. The minutes never expire and there is no minimum usage requirements. I have had my card for close to 8 years with no problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 617 Guests and 114 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.