The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#81533 - 12/29/06 03:49 AM Rain gear idea
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I realised I have a possible weight/bulk saving option that stares me in the face three-out-of-four seasons when it comes to rain gear. Ponchos are good, but you want rain pants under them when it really sucks out and/or you tromping through vegetation. Well, how about waterproof gaiters, like you might use while snowshoeing? They pack up smaller and lighter, and the skirt of the poncho will keep everything above the knees dry enough.

Mine just came out of the winter gear bag last weekend, and I'm thinking they might work as a lighter and smaller packed alternative. And it is one fewer thing that might need to be swapped from BOB as the seasons change.

Or am I missing something very important that will make this bright idea not work?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#81535 - 12/29/06 08:37 AM Re: Rain gear idea
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Aloha Ironraven,

Rain pants give you a pair of pants to wear while your regular pants are drying out, if need be. I don't know about you, but I would look pretty funny wearing gaiters with no pants.

Sorry for the visual. Happy New Year!

Actually, I don't carry rain pants or gaiters, just a pair of swim shorts in my pack plus the spare dry socks and underwear in a ziplock. And sometimes, I will lug a pair of sandals too if I expect to do a lot of stream crossings or think it will be really wet.

In Hawaii, there are a lot of pools to cool off in and you are really never too far from the ocean. Plus when it is really wet and mucky out, I really don't mind getting my legs wet too much, unless it is really cold. And it doesn't usually get really cold unless it is in the evening or early morning. I would usually be bundled up comfortably in a camp of some sort at those times.

#81536 - 12/29/06 01:00 PM Re: Rain gear idea
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
If you are looking for somethintg light and packable, check out the GoLite Reed pants. They compress down to a fist. I only use gaiters during the winter, and, even then, only if the snow is REALLY deep. I find hiking in gaiters during the other seasons to be more cumbersome than beneficial. I hike mostly on trails though. So, dirt, dust, rain, etc, are rarely a problem.

#81538 - 12/29/06 08:43 PM Re: Rain gear idea
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I have a pair of frogg toggs as well. They dont survive the brush too well. As long as you arent bushwhacking, they are great. Thorns, burrs, and any plant that grabs onto clothing will tear these up though, fast. The upside is, you can patch em with duct tape, and be on your way. You cant beat the weight though.

#81539 - 12/30/06 12:56 AM Re: Rain gear idea
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I have high tech breathable rainpants and jacket. No poncho (I hate ponchos - not breathable at all and tend to snag on things)

Have I ever actually USED the rainpants? No. I guess I've been lucky in that the rain I've run into has been wet rain, not cold rain. Even the sleet storm at 11,000ft last summer didn't prompt me to put on pants. Bare legs sticking out of my hiking shorts have been just fine so far. But I always carry those wind/rain pants and jacket for any long-ish or high altitude hikes. The choice to gear-up or not depends greatly on the circumstances, how far from the car you are, the likely duration of the bad weather, your altitude, etc.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 545 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.