Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#8138 - 08/11/02 11:59 PM water rations
Anonymous
Unregistered

Experts, including Doug, warn against rationing water in a survival siituation, even if it is extremely scarce. I think that Doug's phrase is "Ration Sweat, Not Water." However, in most every successful survival story I can remember reading (most recently Steven Callahan's) water was carefully rationed seemingly to good effect. If there was an explanation for this in the literature I have missed it. Any help for me? <br><br>Dan

#8139 - 08/12/02 12:38 AM Re: water rations
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think there is a misconception between using water to advantage and rationing. Recieving a tiny sip of water and immediately blooming like a flower is good cinema, But hardly realistic.Then again,how many people are found dead of dehydration with water in their canteens, obviously rationed? The level of physical activity and shelter can also effect loss. I was taught the best canteen was my own stomach. A dehydrated person rapidly loses coordination and mental clarity. I'd rather "fill up" and then secure water supplies ( if possible) while my faculties enabled me to do so. The online news services just yesterday posted an authoritie's refutation of the 8 glasses a day regimen with some interesting information. I'm still drinking my 8, it's 100+ here ;O)

#8140 - 08/12/02 04:54 AM Re: water rations
Anonymous
Unregistered

As activity level and heat rise, rationing is less and less effective; many marathon runners have found this out hte hard way. A lot of hiking in S. Arizona in warm weather convinced me that rationing didn't work - at least when you had to move during the heat of the day, as we did on more than one search effort.<br><br>I just finished a bike tour where I was pedaling in 100 degree heat for 65 - 100 + miles a day. I found it imperative to start early when temperatures were lower, sit out the midday heat and then ride into the dusk. I vividly experienced the correlation between riding efficiency, adequate hydration, and relatively cool temperatures.

#8141 - 08/17/02 09:27 AM Re: water rations
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Daniel,<br>"rationing" the water usually means deliberately dehydrating yourself. That means your capabilities will deteriorate prematurely.<br>"seemingly" is the keyword. Literature doesnīt explain it as there no rational reason.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 405 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.