Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#81236 - 12/24/06 06:01 AM I shouldn't be alive episode
Burncycle Offline
Addict

On now, the episode "Lost in the Snow", discovery channel (December 24, 12am central)

Reminded me a little bit about the James Kim situation - car stranded in a location where no one will be coming by, they stay with it until they run out of food then start walking (the entire family, in this case).

Right after this episode, "I shouldn't be Alive: Science of Survival" comes on, where Les Stroud from survivorman replays the above scenario but interjects useful ideas and tips they could have done that might have helped them

#81237 - 12/24/06 01:09 PM Re: I shouldn't be alive episode
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I watched that last night as well. Had my nephew watch it too. Pretty interesting stuff.

#81238 - 12/24/06 03:01 PM Re: I shouldn't be alive episode
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I saw it too.

Can you just feel what was going through their minds when they first reailized they were really stuck and nobody knew where they were? That's a mild kind of gut-wrenching panic.

I found the lighting the fuel & tire w/ the battery jumper cables interesting, though I would have yanked the cables back out of the fire so they didn't get destroyed. Would you start burning tires right away? or would you wait a bit until you though someone might be looking for you?

I liked the "morning after" scene where Les is laying under a sleeping bag in his shelter and says "if you think I'm comfortable - think again". He did look pretty comfy.

I also really appreciated the scene where the young couple came over the crest of the hill thinking that they'd see a busy highway, and found ... another mountain. I started wondering if a cell phone would have worked from a high point like that.

They said the young couple did have a lighter, but never stopped to build a fire and rest, and that almost killed them. The father was VERY lucky to stumble upon a car driving down a road - which is how they all survived.

I was also thinking about Les ripping up the truck before he left. Great hints. Do you think he did $575 worth of damage to it? (That's the cost of the ACR PLB w/ GPS today.)

#81239 - 12/24/06 05:06 PM Re: I shouldn't be alive episode
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
I watched this also and while it was difficult to imagine how unbearable it was for the family involved I am glad that they did survive.
Some of the tips that Les showed were new to me and I only hope that if I am ever in that situation I'll remember them.
No matter what I am alwasy more prepared that that young family was so my chance of survival would be better.

#81240 - 12/25/06 04:14 AM Re: I shouldn't be alive episode
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I think I would burn a tire after probably day 2, depending on the situation. I have to say though that, in that predicament they were in, the man's best bet would have been to walk back the way they came. Of course, we can all monday-morning -quarterback it. But, better to go to what you know, than venture out into what you THINK you know. 50 miles is a long walk, granted. But, given the fact that they had no navigation aid, other than a map in the truck, we would be truly dead-reckoning his way to a road that may, or may not, be serviceable. At least, walking his route back, he had tracks to follow, for a few days.
Lesson learned though. ALWAYS have a sleeping bag in winter, and some food on hand, at the LEAST, during winter. I could move into my jeep at any time (as I am sure most on this forum could), but, I still fear most people dont think it will happen to them. I cant wait for our first snowstorm in new england; its amazing how many people dont put good winter tires on until AFTER they need them.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 272 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.