Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#80518 - 12/16/06 07:57 PM THE PLB Post
Packman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Southwest Coast, Florida
All this recent talk about PLB's has cemented firmly into my mind that its certainly a worthwhile purchase. As such, I'd like to get some input from you fine folks. There's been a lot of talk about PLBs in the forum, but It'd be nice for everyone, I think, to see concrete facts all in one place, instead of spread throughout different threads.
I've read Doug' PLB FAQ already, but I'd like to get some input from people who have them, want them, carry them, know where to find the deals, whatever.

I'd like one that's fairly compact, because if it's not on you, you're not going to have it when you need it. It'll be used for private flying, hiking, and such.

On a separate note, does anyone know of a suitable container for use in storing a PLB while SCUBA Diving? I try not to go below about 75-80 feet, since I have sinus problems and the pressure that far down bothers me. So, I guess I'm asking for a case that's watertight to that depth/floats.

Where are the deals, what're your preffered models and brands, etc?

Thanks Everyone,
Kyle

#80519 - 12/16/06 09:44 PM Re: THE PLB Post
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
My wife recently gave the thumbs up for purchasing a PLB with an internal GPS.

Our feeling on the internal GPS thing is that the PLB will most likely be used when something bad has happened. If things aren't going well, the last thing I want to have to worry about is connecting a GPS to the PLB and pressing the right button to initiate the download. Having the internal GPS just makes the whole thing simpler.

In looking around I focused on the TerraFix or its "relatives". It appears to be the most modern setup ... for now. The ACR TerraFix, AquaFix, and AeroFix are all identical except for the color of the cases. Focusing on units with internal GPS now, I found the price on the TerraFix to be $650 everywhere I looked, but I found the AquaFix for %575 - $75 cheaper than the TerraFix. BUT ACR offers a $75 rebate for the TerraFix (but not for the AquaFix) so they both cost the same. The AquaFix came with a ditch bag that I had no interest in at this time. So, I ended up buying the TerraFix.

Like I said, the price was identical everywhere I looked, so I ended up bying it from Aeromedix since they've done very well by me in the past with purchases of Doug's knives and lights. It is supposed to arrive next Tuesday.

The primary reason we are buying it is to bring along with us on family vacation in remote areas - specifically Glacier National Park next year. It will probably also accompany me on some Boy Scout trips, though for the most part a cell phone will do us just fine on most trips.

I don't plan to put it in a separate case, other than a ziplok bag maybe, though I reserve the right to change my mind. Though I don't think it is built to be carried undewater while diving, It is quite waterproof - it even uses an optical connector - as opposed to a metal contact connector - for the external GPS in order to minimize the chance for leakage.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 635 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.