Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#8046 - 08/08/02 03:08 AM Re: New at this, dumb questions I am sure! [re: AyersTG]
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Andy,<br><br>30??? Ouch! Let's see, eldest son was born the year I turned 30... but I'm still feeding him, so I'm not THAT old yet, altho this is a numologist's "landmark" year for me ... great times lie ahead for you, I'm sure...<br><br>How's the Suburban working out for you? Still have a big grin on your face when you wheel out onto the road? I gotta know - have you gone out and stuck it yet? My first 4wd got me in more predicaments... my second one was a beast and kept me out of predicaments... and I strayed from 4wd for a loooong time.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom

#8047 - 08/08/02 03:32 AM Re: New at this, dumb questions I am sure! [re: AyersTG]
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Tom,<br><br>Love the Suburban. Plenty of room to stash goodies and kids, lots of power, still the big grin. EATS the gas though. Sticker shock on the first fill-up (40 gallon tank---invading Iraq starting to sound like a reasonable idea after all).<br><br>No, I haven't got it stuck yet. First weekend spent putting new oil pan on. I knew I'd have to when I made the purchase....had problems though, frozen compression nut on an oil cooler line resulted in a broken line (the line got jammed on something-- I disconnected it both ends-- and twisted, and broke)...that I didn't find out about until after 5 quarts of oil were distributed on Ky roads. Had to wait until Monday to replace line (custom made $50.00--ouch!). Improvised oil cooler bypass (that leaked a little slower than the broken line) until then, didn't drive it much between times, needless to say.<br><br>Might take it out this weekend; doubt I'll see much offroad travel. This is my third 4wd. I learned about hi-lift jacks and chains and tow straps and the high cost of replacing tires, exhausts, and suspensions on the first. More than once did I come home with my muffler in the back of the truck. I was single, and younger, and much stupider back then.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#8048 - 08/08/02 04:03 AM Re: New at this, dumb questions I am sure! [re: AyersTG]
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Andy,<br><br>Cool. I'm having a blast with the boys - they drive mostly beaters, so I've taken them thru automotive 101 and then some - good thing my best friend is a mechanic, eh? I HATE working on front-wheel drives, so it's been an education for me as well. Oldest boy has my first new truck (well, second, but the Ramcharger was my wifes, honest!) and we overhauled the engine in it. Since then, their friends seem to think that the boys are wizards and about every other day I have to dodge someone's car up on the jack stands in my driveway <sigh> You can have your twisted oil cooler line - my daughter tore up the engine in my beater truck - she's deaf and she over-revved the engine something awful in granny gear. This weekend we're going to pull the engine and drop in a 460 I have laying around - I'd rather put a 400 back in it, but the 460 is underfoot and I have the motor mounts for it. I need a bigger driveway and a bigger garage... good thing I have NICE neighbors...<br><br>Tom

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 529 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.