Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#79930 - 12/15/06 03:41 PM Waiting for the Weather to Clear
Simon Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Just watched the latest news. Well, they have an UAV to spot their body heat. But the weather impedes. I heard there is a military C-130 involved now as well as two military helicopters. Looks like they have everything they need to pluck them if the weather will just clear, I just hope and pray it hurries up and does!

#79931 - 12/15/06 05:24 PM Re: Missing Climbers on Oregon's Mount Hood
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I don't think there is such a thing as a "death wish"
sounds kind of flip for a serious issue.

It is pretty common for folks to try to avoid being found by searchers if they believe they will suffer fines. And almost all victims worry about the potential expense and embarrassment. That doesn't help the searchers or the lost.

One of the search tactics is attraction-use some sort of signal-so the lost person can find their own way out. A fire on a ridge, loud noises, flares, lights etc. This is especially helpful so the lost have a hand in their own rescue and mitigate some of the embarassment etc.

When I look at where my tax dollars are spent, helping folks
in dire situations, even if it is somewhat self induced, is
pretty okay with me. And 99.9% of search and rescue missions
are for hikers and similar "just out for the day folks" and
requirements like licenses and PLB's would have to apply for
everyone stepping out the door.

One study showed we could reduce traffic deaths (by 25%) if everyone wore
a helmet when driving. Where does it end?

Edited by clearwater (12/15/06 06:49 PM)

#79932 - 12/15/06 06:25 PM Re: Missing Climbers on Oregon's Mount Hood
duckear Offline
Addict

I dont know how much $ it generates or if it still is in existance, but Colorado used to tack a 0.25 fee on hunting and fishing licenses for SAR. Even the tree huggers would buy a license for the SAR fee alone. I think it kept you immune from any charges etc if you needed to be rescued. But that was 10 years ago and the memory of it is a bit cloudy. Any CO residents care to add?

#79934 - 12/15/06 10:01 PM Re: Missing Climbers on Oregon's Mount Hood
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Mount Hood Searchers Find Notes

"Rescue workers searching for three lost climbers on Oregon's highest peak found notes suggesting the missing men may be well prepared for their situation…"

#79935 - 12/16/06 02:42 AM Re: Missing Climbers on Oregon's Mount Hood
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Victims of the government not passing laws enforcing stricter guidelines due to past lessons that cannot seem to be learned."

Our government has passed many, many laws to try to protect idiots from themselves. It didn't work with the first one, the last one, or any in between. Even Albert Einstein recognized this fact, saying, "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

How about we stop trying to rescue people who deliberately put themselves in danger by cultivating dangerous hobbies? Let them do what they want to do, go where they want to go, but they'd better be able to get back themselves. Call it the self-pruning branch of responsibility. It seems to work quite well for sky-divers, doesn't it?

Every SAR unit I've ever heard of pays its own way: training, dogs, equipment, gas and air fare. They risk their lives to save people who will often do the same thing all over again.

And what's this about 'the government paying' for stuff? Just where do you think the government GETS the money for all its largesse? Well, just in case this is a surprise to some people, it's US. We, the people. We, the taxpayers. We, the people who pay almost half our income for taxes, visible and invisible. Our government doesn't have a secret farm in Kansas where they grow money trees and geese that lay golden eggs, you know.

Sue

#79936 - 12/16/06 05:59 AM Re: Missing Climbers on Oregon's Mount Hood
Simon Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Quote:
I don't think there is such a thing as a "death wish"
sounds kind of flip for a serious issue.

You don't think there is such a thing as a death wish at all in this world? Wow. Not flip for a serious issue at all in my view. I honestly can't admit they might as well have not had one. You were close to the situation apparently. Sorry if I offended you.

#79937 - 12/17/06 10:21 PM Re: Missing Climbers on Oregon's Mount Hood
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Major developments expected Sunday in search for climbers, officials say (What a lousy headline!)

"Aircraft deployed in the search for three missing climbers on Mount Hood spotted 'items of interest' in the general area where one of the climbers made a distress call from a snow cave a week ago, officials said Sunday."

#79938 - 12/17/06 11:17 PM Re: Missing Climbers on Oregon's Mount Hood
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
SAR found the snow cave, no climbers, just a sleeping bag and climbing gear. Now where do they look?

#79939 - 12/17/06 11:39 PM Re: Missing Climbers on Oregon's Mount Hood
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Quote:
SAR found the snow cave, no climbers, just a sleeping bag and climbing gear.

That doesn't sound good. I think a sleeping bag is one of the last things I'd want to leave if I was stuck on the side of a mountain.

-john

#79940 - 12/17/06 11:43 PM Re: Missing Climbers on Oregon's Mount Hood
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Different snow cave, Fox News reporting one body found.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 647 Guests and 163 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.