The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#79388 - 12/08/06 05:17 AM Re: Longest Lasting Boots
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I think that they have gone to a composit safety toe, don't know the reason for the change...

#79389 - 12/08/06 01:24 PM Re: Are hunting boots suitable for survival boots?
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Quote:
Poster: Excomantia
Subject: Re: Are hunting boots suitable for survival boots?

This is a tad off of the boots topic but has anyone else heard of removeing your boots and just walking around in your 100% wool socks if your feet get wet in the snow?
Supposedly the snow will form shoes of ice around the sock and your body warmth will keep your foot insulated and keep you from geting frostbite.
I don't remember where I saw this though.

I've never heard of that, and I dont see how that could possibly work. Water, or, in this case, ice, saps heat away from your body. If your feet were warm enough to keep from getting frostbite, they would melt the ice. Also, if that were true, why would people buy insulated boots for winter? Dont believe everything you read....feet & hands have poor circulation. Which is why they are usually lost to frostbite first. Similat to the myth of "sleeping naked keeps you warmer". Again, insulation=heat retention. So, the more insulation, the warmer you are. Sleeping with a parka on will keep you warmer than sleeping with a t-shirt.
On to the boots; I personally have used my issue jungle boots for about 5 years now, one spent on patrols in Cuba for a year, which is volcanic rock (eats the sole, and the "soul"). They are still holding up fine, and I use them for hiking all the time. Winter, I have a pair of hi-tec boots (forgot which model), which are OK during the winter. I also have a set of Matterhorns, which I have yet to break in properly. They are warm, just extremely stiff.

#79390 - 12/08/06 02:44 PM Re: Are hunting boots suitable for survival boots?
Excomantia Offline
journeyman

Loc: Moved to my new home and now h...
This is not where I read it but here are two links that touch on it. One is a wool company sock (www.customwoolenmills.com) the other is an article from the survival school websigh...ww.karamat.com). It seems contrary to me too, thats why I asked if anyone had ever heard of it or tried it.

Words Mean Something.

#79391 - 12/08/06 03:11 PM Re: Are hunting boots suitable for survival boots?
norad45 Offline
Veteran

I use Rocky 500 gram thinsulates as an all around hunting boot, so they are my survival boots as well. I know a lot of guys hate Rocky boots. All I can say is, until I got them my feet were always cold. Since I got them, my feet have never been cold. They are 8 years old and going strong, aside from normal wear on the tread.

#79392 - 12/08/06 04:27 PM Re: Longest Lasting Boots
obmeyer Offline

Loc: Fairfax County VA
A number of reasons for composite toes over steal toes. One is the cold sink of steal, second is non magnetic for EOD types, third is that if the item falling on your toes exceed the level of the standard with steal toes they could be cut off while with composite toes they will just be crushed.

#79393 - 12/08/06 05:07 PM Re: Are hunting boots suitable for survival boots?
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Those were pretty interesting reads. As far as wearing 3 pair of socks; with the wicking ability of the wool, I guess this may be plausible. I recall winter survival stating that, should you fall through the ice, when you get out, roll around in the snow to absorb all the excess water (this is, of course, provided it is cold enough). With today's materials, most good outdoor insulation will retain upwards of 80% heat, which would allow you to at least (hopefully) get a fire started. I still cannot see a "boot of ice" forming, as the natural flexion of the foot, as well as evaporative heat, would, in theory, prevent this from happening. But, I've never tried it (I may now though), so, I am only speakinhg hypothetically here.

#79394 - 12/08/06 05:30 PM Re: Are hunting boots suitable for survival boots?
Excomantia Offline
journeyman

Loc: Moved to my new home and now h...
If you try it, let us know how it goes. I would have tried it out already but living in Florida I don't see much snow. The last time it snowed here was 1994 (before I moved here) and, from what I hear, the snow was gone by the afternoon.

If it does work, it would be good to know that all you realy need is, at most, 3 pair of 100% wool socks stuck in your car for winter survival footware.

As for the ice booties, I belive this, I have seen the belly of a poodle (family pet growing up in California) become caked with icy snowballs when we took him to the mountains as a puppy. I think something similar would happen to the socks, where you didn't move a whole lot would freeze/collect snow solid, where you did move you would just have a crack.

Words Mean Something.

#79395 - 12/08/06 07:09 PM Re: Are hunting boots suitable for survival boots?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

this is bad idea to walk in snow while wearing wool sock. The feet still get wet. You will get hypothermia & frostbite as well.

#79396 - 12/08/06 07:32 PM Re: Are hunting boots suitable for survival boots?
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I have, er had, a pair of Rockports since the late 80's. When I couldn't find them, I found out my wife retired them for me. I am not sure why as they were still going strong. Just old and a little dirty. The soles were fine as were the uppers. I loved those boot. Used them hiking, camping and even mountain biking most weekends. The pedals fit right into the tread locking it in place but allowing the foot to be easily lifted off the pedal.

So a few weeks ago, I went in search of the same shoe to replace it. The newer Rockports just don't feel right to me, so I will have to try a different brand.

#79397 - 12/08/06 09:37 PM Re: Are hunting boots suitable for survival boots?
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
No offense intended, but I'm wondering what "survival boots" are.

My guess is that these might be boots one carries in a kit, just in case you find yourself lost or in trouble?

Maybe the question is really "Which boots do best in a severe environment?" If so, the answer would depend on the environment - cold, hot, desert, wetlands, etc...

My favorite cold-weather boots are my old (1980's) LL Bean Maine hunting boot with Vibram soles and wool felt liners. They're stlll in great shape, but my feet have gotten a oone size longer/wider since then (old age), but they aren't made anymore. Still looking for an acceptable replacement.

For moderate weather I just obtained a pair of LL Bean Cresta Hikers, but haven't spent much time in them yet.

I do think just about any quality hunting boot would do you just fine, assuming it was built to protect you against whatever elements your're walking in to.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.