Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#7907 - 08/02/02 02:58 AM DIFFERENT question on PSK tin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,<br>I've carried an Altoids size PSK for quite a while. I've never wrapped it with tape because I'm always opening it for something, but I still often wish it was waterproof.<br>While I was at the beach last week I thought of those little vinyl ziplock pouches for wallets. I ordered some, but I think they're still too big for convenient carry.<br>Now I'm thinking there must be an altoyds-size ROUND tin with a screw on lid that could be watertight, but still accessible.<br>Any thoughts?<br>thanks<br>JB

#7908 - 08/02/02 04:51 AM Re: DIFFERENT question on PSK tin
Anonymous
Unregistered

your altoids tin is round? or have you seen the new altoids tin yet? im thinking a rubber O ring or a "ranger rick" Rubber band (which is just a 1" piece of bike inner tube) wrapped around the outside of it, you can easily remove it and replace it. try it, wrap the tin with the fat rubber band and submerse it (with the contents removed of course...) for like a night or something. the rubber O-ring might be a little bit more complicated.

#7909 - 08/02/02 01:51 PM Re: DIFFERENT question on PSK tin
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, I have a regular rectangular tin. I just thought a round tin with a screw on lid would be somewhat watertight as is, instead of wrapping the rectangular tin with tape.<br><br>I'll try a piece of innertube around the rectangular tin, but the tin gets deformed quickly so I don't think it'l work

#7910 - 08/02/02 03:03 PM Re: DIFFERENT question on PSK tin
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There are the round shoepolish and saddlesoap tins, and some of our Canadian members use a round tin. Perhaps a tin dedicated to everyday use and a second held in reserve and sealed is a option.

#7911 - 08/02/02 04:30 PM Re: DIFFERENT question on PSK tin
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I have a "ChainSaw in a Can" that is in an Altoids sized screw-top tin. I do not think it would be watertight unless you added an internal gasket, but it is about the right size with a screwtop.<br><br>See Doug's info Pocket ChainSaw

#7912 - 08/02/02 06:45 PM Re: DIFFERENT question on PSK tin
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use a candy tin. Most nicer grocery stores will have an imported candy section. Pick your favorite flavor, enjoy, and use for your PSK. Not waterproof, but a Rangerband like has been suggested would be effective. I have Last Resort PSK that stays in the deepest regions of my backpack. It's a candy tin sealed with a rangerband then secured with duct tape. I let it soak in the sink for about 20 min and all was dry inside.<br><br>Good Luck !!

#7913 - 08/04/02 05:55 AM Re: DIFFERENT question on PSK tin
Anonymous
Unregistered

A few years ago I picked up a pile of Canadian Military Surplus Aviator Survival Vests. I have no Idea what year but I suspect they were used during the sixties. In one pocket of the vest is a metal container. They are about the size of a shoe polish tin, painted orange, and contains fishing gear, lines, threads, buttons, needles, razor blades, matches and a few other things. Quite good actually. Can fit in the back pocket of your jeans and look like a tin of chewing tobac. Checked out the reflective distance of the inside of the tin and got 10 klicks.<br><br>Mariner.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (marantz, SRMC), 258 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Ren
Yesterday at 02:41 PM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.