Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#78541 - 12/06/06 11:07 PM Re: MANY or FEW prepared ??
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Keeping people in the dark will not help. What will help is blending into the background. How a person blends in will relate directly to their surroundings. If you are in an environment where everyone wears a suit and tie then a suit and tie are a must for your survival preparation.

Jeanette Isabelle

#78542 - 12/06/06 11:57 PM Re: MANY or FEW prepared ??
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
I put together survival kits, spend time reading books and blogs and forums (fori?) about survival. It gives me comfort to do so. It gives me the illusion of control. Control is in fact an illusion. Disasters are chaotic, and chaos theory indicates that survival of any individual in chaos is determined in large part by chance. The strongest, best equipped and trained survivalist will not survive being hit by a tornado-tossed truck. Archeology, anthropology and Heinlein indicate that the minimum unit of survival is the village. The village can be autonomous, the individual, in the long run, cannot. Well thought out survival strategies involve a group: a neighborhood, a congregation, a scout troop-whatever. It is much easier to plan on individual survival, but that simply means that you will have to build your village on the run.

#78543 - 12/07/06 01:24 AM Re: MANY or FEW prepared ??
DBAGuy Offline
dedicated member

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
I couldnt disagree more with Nursemike

Control is not an illusion. It is a necessity. Planning for survival is part of being human. Abandoning myself to fate just isnt in my nature, I suppose. The utility of preparing has been proven to me again and again.The fact I am still alive is no illusion.

The minimum unit of survival in a catastrophic event is the individual. WHat happens when the people you were going to survive with are killed or severely injured during the hypothetical catastrophe? What if YOU are injured and cannot get to the rendezvous point? Yes, it is nice to have company but not at the expense of ignoring the basic premise: you and yours must survive.

#78544 - 12/07/06 04:13 AM Re: MANY or FEW prepared ??
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
I couldn't agree more with DBA...were we in a discussion on The Survival Forum. In the short term, survival is all about individual performance, and all of your points are accurate and well-stated.

This venue is all about long term survival, and long term survival is all about groups.

#78545 - 12/07/06 03:30 PM Re: MANY or FEW prepared ??
Orbital_Burn Offline

Loc: Idaho
it depends on the reason you are having to 'bug-out.' And on the reason you feel you may need to bug out. In my own bag, I carry "hippie" looking clothing, and my bag is a Northface Scarab, as I want to look like a hippie hiker to any helicopters that may spot me. I plan on cacheing mil-spec gear though, but I want to look like a hippie for a few days after I vanish.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Bingley, M_a_x), 226 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.