Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#78531 - 12/01/06 06:32 PM Re: MANY or FEW prepared ??
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
It seems that you are overthinking this a bit.

A nondescript backpack or vehicle is a good idea because it makes you look like everone else. It really doesn't help a criminal to know that a wise prepper will use a plain backpack, because he still can't tell the BOB from all the others packed with DVD collections and ipods.

I would hope that normal response (if any) to education about preparedness would be to consider preparing, not "Thanks! Now I know who to rob in an emergency."

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#78532 - 12/01/06 09:38 PM Re: MANY or FEW prepared ??
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
The best way to ensure that your stuff doesn't get stolen is to have a take-charge attitude and a loaded firearm. There are much more important things to consider about your bug-out bag than color.

#78533 - 12/02/06 08:03 PM Re: MANY or FEW prepared ??
Seeker890 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
It can be impossible to educate the masses about stuff they don't want to contemplate. Trying ot herd cats? The government has been posting info on 72 hour kits for years, and other than an initial burst after a major catastrophe, they are usually ignored.

The only way an individual can make a difference is by becoming an "evangelical" to the cause. Personally, I find these people to be anoying, whether it is for vegans, religion, anti-guns, whatever. Anyone who trys to pull me out of my comfortable rut is anoying.

The best way to make a difference is one person at a time. Pick your opportunity, lead into it, if rejected - walk away from that conversation. If you get to the point where you are providing them info on your personal stashes or escape routes, I would assume that you know them well and trust them. If you don't know them well or trust them then you should keep that info to yourself and discuss prepardness in generalities. You can always say "I read that FEMA recommends................ and I need to do that myself sometime.............." That way they won't know to head your way looking for supplies at the last minute for a five finger discount.

Its always better if they decide for themselves to start to get ready than to be led or pushed.

#78534 - 12/03/06 12:21 AM Re: MANY or FEW prepared ??
Packman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Southwest Coast, Florida
Survival Of The Fittest. Sorry to everyone else, but I've put myself as my number one priority. If, and only if, it will not compromise me, then I'll gladly help someone who needs it. But I've put myself first.
-Kyle

#78535 - 12/03/06 06:20 PM Re: MANY or FEW prepared ??
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Amen.

#78536 - 12/04/06 11:50 PM Re: MANY or FEW prepared ??
DBAGuy Offline
dedicated member

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
I agree with Packman. You cant help everyone, and some of those you help may decide they are more worthy than you of YOUR STUFF.

Me and mine first. I'll help if I can, but will NOT feel sorry if I cant.

#78537 - 12/06/06 09:59 PM Re: MANY or FEW prepared ??
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Not everyone who is prepared belongs to the same school of thought. Some may run to the hills, some if knowledgable in urban survival and if the city is still there will choose to remain in the city.

An essential skill in urban survival is to look as uninviting to any potential thief as possible. Granted, it is possible someone may steel my 2WD sedan out of convenience. A car thief may want a fuel efficient vehicle. There is nothing about it in of its self which says I am a survivalist.

Jeanette Isabelle

#78538 - 12/06/06 10:05 PM Re: MANY or FEW prepared ??
Carpal Tunnel

Social invisibility is the best defense.

Jeanette Isabelle

#78539 - 12/06/06 10:26 PM Re: MANY or FEW prepared ??
Carpal Tunnel

I believe in teaching my congregation survival because when everything goes to . . . in a hand basket, in the house of G-d is where I want to be.

Jeanette Isabelle

#78540 - 12/06/06 10:27 PM Re: MANY or FEW prepared ??
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Excuse me ! These are the same people who would not prepare even though they have a guarrantee that disaster will strike next month on the 14th! Their emergency plans include moving in with you & using your resources until "th' gummint" arrives to take care of them. The are like the Soviets: That which is theirs, remains theirs, & that which you possess is negotiable !!!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 529 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.