Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7813 - 07/28/02 09:55 PM EDC Compass?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We've discussed practically every piece of equipment for every day carry, but I rarely hear of anyone carrying a compass as part of every day wear, or how they do it. I carry a serious compass and a back up for wilderness trips, but I sure don't carry them every day.<br><br>I have one of those Brunton survival card kits that includes a tiny plastic compass disk intended to float (by surface tension, it's not buoyant) on water. I have to admit I'm pretty skeptical- clearly, this isn't going to work at all if you're in a hurry, in the wind, hard rain, or in the dark, or if you just don't have water handy, and it is so small that, detached from the card it came on, it would be hard NOT to lose it even in a shirt pocket... but it's the only compass I've seen that can be carried in a wallet. Almost exactly the same objections apply to the magnetized needle idea- it would certainly fit in a wallet, but either floating it or hanging it by a thread will often range from very inconvenient to impossible depending on conditions.<br><br>(As an aside- I wonder if you could cut something from the magnetic strip area of an old credit card, magnetize it (or, more accurately, re-magnetize it uniformly), and get similar functionality? Just a thought). <br><br>I personally often find a small compass handy even in the city.. maybe even more often in the city, because line-of-sight is so often limited. I'd like to have a convenient way to have one on my person routinely.<br><br>I've seen butane lighters with compasses built in- most would seem, from the price at least, to be of suspect quality for either role... but I may try it. I've also seen key-fob compasses, but all that I've run across are either inconveniently large (brass ships-wheel ornaments with a compass hubs in nautical stores, thermometer-compass fobs in outdoor stores) or very cheap and fragile looking... and I worry about the wisdom of attaching a compass to a bunch of metal keys and such. Besides, anything carried with the keys wears badly.<br><br>Anyone got a better solution, something that's not bulky, out of the way, but easy to use when you need it?

#7814 - 07/28/02 10:30 PM Re: EDC Compass?
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

well you can try those small compasses with fit on watch straps or just use the watch it self with the sun ( if you cant see the sun look at the shadows ) or try a keychains with compass and fit it on the side of your belt away from keys and stuff.. i usually throw my martching compass in the side pocket of by BDU trouwsers, plenty of space in those pockets...

#7815 - 07/28/02 10:47 PM Re: EDC Compass?
dewey Offline

Loc: Central Massachusetts
I carry one of the combo whistle/compass things in my off side (non-key) pocket along with a lighter and space-pen. Niether is the best, both are not too bad and far better than nothing. <br><br>It's reasonably flat, so doesn't make an obvious bulge and it's reasonably comfortable as well.<br><br>An idea for you: Buy one of the mini key-chain compasses and pull the compass out (I did that for my mini-PSK). I haven't tried mounting it for everyday use, though.

#7816 - 07/28/02 10:52 PM Re: EDC Compass?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the sun is shining. An analog watch. That is my primary compass when I am in the woods. I do not like "button" compass'. They rarely seem to work properly. I keep some needles, some thread, a very small cork, and a very small magnet in my tin for making a compass. I see no reason that I couldnt put such items alone in a very small container in my pocket. Maybe a pencil lead box? It wouldnt be the most convenient, but I dont know how to get any smaller.

#7817 - 07/28/02 11:51 PM Re: EDC Compass?
bones Offline
journeyman

Loc: Western / Central Australia
If you're talking backup and don't want a button compass, why not buy one of the basic Silva/Brunton orienteering compasses and cut away most of the baseplate? I suspect someone makes them this compact anyway (Silva Model ?9?). Ends up about the size of a matchbook and only slightly thicker.

#7818 - 07/29/02 12:31 AM Re: EDC Compass?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the suggestions so far... I guess one of my main criteria is not to have yet another item to have to track.. that's why I like carrying stuff in my wallet or keys. Low "fuss factor".<br><br>Everyday dress for me is business casual, so no BDU pockets or such, and I really don't need anything else hanging from my belt. A compass on the watchband would be a little out of place... besides, I have three "dress" watches that I wear regularly.<br><br>I have a couple of button compasses pulled from fobs/zipper pulls, and it seems like they would work just fine, mounted.. somewhere.<br><br>Back in the late '60s, early '70s sometime, when it was fasionable to wear wide belts, I met a guy who had a compass glued to the back side of a round, sort of domed bronze belt buckle. That sort of thing is no longer fashionable, and I change belts almost daily... and unbuckling your pants on a city sidewalk to get oriented might not be a great idea.<br><br>A button compass inside some sort of protective case might work on the key chain, but the case would have to be very small not to neutralize the advantage of the small compass. Still working on it.

#7819 - 07/29/02 12:53 AM Re: EDC Compass?
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Lost,<br><br>Suunto makes a wrist sighting compass (the M-9, IIRC) which works pretty good. I have not mastered it, it takes me awhile to use it for fine navigation, but it works...with more practice who knows? I have mine attached to my watchband.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#7820 - 07/29/02 12:56 AM Re: EDC Compass?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I just picked up THE 2 OZ. BACKPACKER by Robert S. Wood by ten speed press www.tenspeed.com this is a wonderfull book with some interesting insights. The author points out that 1 degree of error in a mile amounts to 92' My Brunton surveying compass is 1 degree accurate. Most dedicated hiking or orienteering compasses are accurate to 2 degrees and the smaller units 5. My Brunton button unit is @ 10. I've used the button compass in the city with good results. There are many tools in navigation; charts,compasses, known landmarks and that intangible inner sense.The button has been most usefull in calibrating my "inner compass" with the other tools.

#7821 - 07/29/02 01:59 AM Re: EDC Compass?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My EDC is a fairly complete kit in a camera case with shoulder strap that's 7"X4"X4" with two pockets stuffed full. It doesn't attract attention (lots of tourists here). The kit and everything in it is my backup to a backup to my primary kit. My little about town kit has one of the whistle, magnifying glass, compass, thermometer combo's and it's good enough to point me in a general direction, alert someone I'm in trouble and start a fire on a sunny day. I also have a mil. spec lensatic compass in my fishing vest kit and am waiting for my birthday to receive a newer compass, but don't know which one she bought yet, lol.

#7822 - 07/29/02 05:52 AM Re: EDC Compass?
Anonymous
Unregistered

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>If the sun is shining. An analog watch.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>Or even when the sun isn't shining. A trick we had to learn in Labrador, 40 years ago, where sun compasses were used, because of the severe magnetic deviations around the iron formations: make a fist with your thumb folded over the top and thumb nail facing upward. Take your knife blade and hold it upright, with the point sitting on your thumb nail. Slowly turn the blade until the shadow made on your thumb nail by the blade is the *thinest*. The blade, with aligned shadow, is *pointing* toward the sun. This will work on even very overcast days. Then make the conversion for the analog watch.

#7823 - 07/29/02 06:19 AM Re: EDC Compass?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My EDC compass is a watch. More often than not I wear a GMT watch, if I need direction I just reset the GMT hand to local time and then point the 12 hour hand at the sun; at that point the GMT hand will point north. If it's DST, then the next hour is north. <br><br>At night? Look for the Big Dipper, orient yourself so that the handle is pointing up, and keep it on your left side, and you're going roughly north. If you can't see the star because of weather, I'd be more worried about shelter than direction. If you can't see the stars because of city lights, ask directions.<br><br>That said, in colder weather I often wear a parka over my suit, and a Brunton Weather Eye is on the zipper.

#7824 - 07/29/02 06:37 AM Re: EDC Compass?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, as usual I have a silva water-filled button compass as part of my EDC. I am waiting to get my hands on one of those Benefons ESC! cellphones. They have a complete 12 channel GPS built in!!! Can't beat that for anywhere..either wilderness or city. I have a Casio with a digital compass as well.

#7825 - 07/29/02 01:51 PM Re: EDC Compass?
Anonymous
Unregistered

A real compass is one thing that no one ever has to be without. Forget magnetized needles, a button compass is so small and convenient to carry you can drop one into any pocket no matter what you are wearing and never even know it's there. Don't bother mounting it on anything, just throw it in with your change or whatever and forget about it. It might get a little scratched with pocket wear, but it will remain functional for many years. <br><br>I sealed mine into a tiny plastic bag along with my Micro Light to protect both from wear and water and to reduce the number of items I have to fish out of my pockets at the end of the day, but that is not necessary. <br><br>Aside from being a good survival item, it's also useful on a day-to-day basis.

#7826 - 08/27/02 03:54 PM Compass in watch band
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's a way to carry a button compass that won't take up extra space in your pockets. <br><br>For a picture of the watch band and ordering, click here. <br><br>I've always thought these were a bit geeky, and most I've seen are of poor quality, but this one looks pretty good, so I think I will order one for my beater watch and see how it is.

#7827 - 08/27/02 07:08 PM Re: Compass in watch band
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let us know how it is. I like the look of it.<br><br><br>Chris

#7828 - 08/27/02 08:31 PM Re: Compass in watch band
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks.. for "sports" wear where image is not a factor, like a boat trip I went on Sunday, I wear a Suunto Yachtsman that has a compass and barometer built in. It's big, but it's very lightweight, and the rounded contours make it interfere with clothing and cuffs less than some much smaller watches.<br><br>I don' t think the concept of a watchband compass of any kind is likely to go over well at the office... besides, I rotate three "dress" watches. I currently have a compass attached to a zipper on a shoulder pouch, but I only carry it for the commute, not for nearby meetings or lunches, etc.<br><br>I still think I may try to find a decent lighter with a compass, as that wouldn't add to the number of things I'm keeping track of. Seems like there should be something else I routinely carry that I could mount a button compass on or in, but if there is, I'm missing it.<br>

#7829 - 08/28/02 01:07 AM Re: Compass in watch band
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not a lighter and compass, but Cabellas sells a waterproof brass match container with a compass in the lid, as well as a black aluminum with same. Price is about 20.00 for either model.

#7830 - 08/28/02 02:52 AM Re: Compass in watch band
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
I like the look of the timex strap with the compass.<br>I have a timex watch reef gear i-control but it is not a very hardy watch. The control ring fell off the watch face! I certainly hope the compass is more reliable!<br><br>I have a silva SERE compass in my kit which can be attached to a watch strap. You can see a picture of it here <br><br>My daily urban carry kit has the other silva SERE 40 like the one shown here sere40 <br><br>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.