Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#77305 - 11/18/06 08:25 PM make your own knife???
Anonymous
Unregistered

So recently i just found out that you can have you very own knife designed. But i dont know anything about it? do you need to have exact specifications? a doodle of it? how much cash?is it however much money you put in the better it is?where do you get it made at?

Does anyone know about this process or anything about it?cause i dont have a clue and it sounds very interesting

#77306 - 11/18/06 08:49 PM Re: make your own knife???
Angel Offline

My uncle and cousin both make knives and they do custom make knives I think. They are pretty pricey but they are well worth it to get what you want. I think you can get more info on this link. Here

#77307 - 11/19/06 02:39 AM Re: make your own knife???
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
I am haveing a survival knif made by Anza Knife. they use tool steel files for the knife. and just a general drawing of what you want and Charley can build it. They are located in Caif. east of San Diego. Do a search for Anza Knife.

#77308 - 11/21/06 03:15 AM Re: make your own knife???
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Having you own knife made? Yeah, not all that uncommon, but it WILL cost. Figure fixed blades starting at around $150, and folders about double that

Go over to bladeforums.com, and look around

Now - once you start looking into "custom knives", you'll find there are really 3 categories
1)"Spec Knives" - these are really one off, or VERY low production knives made by custom makers - their "standard models"
2)Customized to suit - one of the builders takes one of his standard designs, and put what feature you want on it - be it handle materials, blade steels etc - or one of his "standard" designs with only slight changes
3)Full up customs - YOU design the knife, and send drawings to the maker - he talks with you about your idea, and you work out how to make it, and any necessary changes

I own one of each of the above categories - categories 1 and 2 are probably your best bet - find a maker who makes almost what you want, call him, and say "hey, I like your knives - would you be interested in making your model "XXX" with the following changes?" He'll tell you yes or no, and what it'll cost you, and how long you'll wait

BTW as for "wait" - some of the top makers out there have long ago stopped taking orders - some have/had backlogs close to a decade. Waiting 3-6 months is considered 'short"
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#77309 - 11/21/06 09:28 AM Re: make your own knife???
jmarkantes Offline

Loc: Portland, OR, USA
This may not be as custom as you're hoping, but you could get a knife kit, make any changes to the handle/etc., then have a local machinist reshape the blade a bit. Texas Knifemakers Supply sells kits. And I know a guy locally who has designed some knives in the past and does knife sharpening as a side business who can re-shape a blade (to within reason). I'd gather you can find a similar service in a lot of towns. (Of course, could take some time trusting them to take a big cold grinder to your blade.)

Anyways, may not be just what you're looking for but it wouldn't be as expensive and probably a lot faster turn than a full custom jobby.
J

#77310 - 12/08/06 02:27 AM Re: make your own knife???
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have made my own knife & sword. The leaf springs on a truck provides great material. draw out what you want, on the metal, cut it & shape it. Start a nice hot charcoal fire in your BBQ pit and put the knife/sword on top, close the lid & come back in 24 hours. clean it, shine it, make a cross guard & handle for it, assemble it (I use epoxy glue), cure it, and make the scabbard for it, and you are ready to go!!!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 124 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.