Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#7721 - 07/24/02 01:56 AM Re: Kid's PSK for Camp-out
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Thor and all,<br><br>I can remember carrying a pocket knife to school. Without fear of discovery when younger, more discretely in high school. I carried it as a tool, not a weapon; many of my classmates felt the opposite. It's a crazy world.<br><br>The legality of the question per se bothers me not at all; I frequently break laws I feel to be stupid (rational anarchism for all you Heinlein fans). The real question for me would be one of benefits vs. consequences. Do the possible benefits (your daughter has a lifesaving tool if/when she needs it) outweigh the possible consequences (I assume your daughter would be kicked out of camp, maybe worse). For me there would be no question; my son would take the knife with strong warnings to be discrete. If caught, we would play dumb, "Oh gee Mr. Petty-Bureaucrat, I wasn't aware of that rule. I gave him the knife. I just thought that a pocket knife might come in handy on a camping trip. They sure do when we're out with the Boy Scouts, and when I'm in the field with the Guard. We're so sorry we broke your asinine Nazi regulation. Gosh!" Or some such thing......It's generally easier to ask forgiveness than permission, or at least that's my Dad taught me about dealing with wives. <br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

Edited by Ade (07/24/02 01:59 AM)

#7722 - 07/24/02 02:06 AM Re: Kid's PSK for Camp-out
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
Hi kf4ebp,<br><br>While I agree with the thought that the camper may well be able to keep a true secret . . . I keep thinking back to some of the many experiences acquired over several summers that I spent as a camper and several more when I was a counselor . . . there are times when things must be left unattended and run the risk of accidental exposure by others, (swimming, bathing etc.).<br><br> While such discovery by others maybe (or have been innocent and unintentional), sadly, the net result will likely be the same as if it the information was freely volunteered. No need to ruin a great week of camp with a secret that escaped and wiped out a lot of hopefully fun memories. <br><br>Regards,<br>Comanche7

#7723 - 07/24/02 03:51 AM Re: Kid's PSK for Camp-out
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
<<might be a good idea to have kids make some sort of flagstaff to carry>><br><br>Actually, I think that's not a bad idea...<br><br>How about extending it? A stave, er, walking stick, is very very useful. I won't bother to recite the never-ending list of practical uses. Even a broomstick, with a little dressing up, makes a handy tool. I almost always walk with a long stave made from a white oak sapling - peeled, sanded, and multiple coats of polyurathane. Kids usually really like them as well, especially if they have some sweat equity in it.<br><br>My opinion is they are more useful if they are a bit over head-high in length.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom

#7724 - 07/24/02 04:02 AM Re: Kid's PSK for Camp-out
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Thor,<br><br>I expect your daughter will probably enjoy herself even without the knife - I disagree with those policies, but she probably mostly wants to just have fun on her camping trip with her chums.

#7725 - 07/24/02 07:07 AM Re: Kid's PSK for Camp-out
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Thor,<br><br>This thread contains some excellent recommendations.<br><br>The prevailing policies and laws re possession of knives at school & related activities can be harsh, intolerant & unrealistic. Alas, the punishments are also mandatory & draconian.<br><br>In our own case, 2 months ago my 12 year old son attended a 3 day camp by his 6th grade class. The principal & 2 6th grade teachers also attended. It was a professionally run theme camp with regular staff. No parents were allowed. That was the third year of using that camp. Various circumstances (some physical & objective) indicated that it was relatively safe. He is a very experienced camper & is competent with a knife, including his own regularly carried knives (SAK & L.Wave).<br><br>We reasoned that it was improbable that he would have any emergency requiring a knife. The period was short. The possible problems were unusually limited. The possibility of discovery by others was significant. Carrying a knife was illegal & harshly punished. For us, the only 2 realistic<br>options turned out to be letting him go without such normal camp gear as a knife, and not letting him go at all. The latter option was particularly attractive after we learned late that my wife was not not going to be allowed to go as a PTA chaperone.<br><br>We allowed him to attend. No significant problems occurred. Minor problems & highjinks were inevitable. Someone did pilfer his bag & stole money. A knife would have probably been found.<br><br>Investigate the people involved, the camping area, the probable risks, & make the most reasoned & best decision you can. Pray. <br><br>Good luck,<br><br>John<br><br>P.S. As an irony, my son will be going on another camping trip to the same general area for his summer long term camp in the Boy Scouts for a week in another month. But this time he will take more normal camping gear, trustworthy BSA compatriots, & proven BSA leaders (INCLUDING HIS FATHER). You guess which approach I like better. Incidentally, my 9 year old son is at CSA camp (only daytime except Friday night) all this week. I'm also one of the leaders there. And he also has his SAK (& Whittlin' Chip).

#7726 - 07/24/02 07:11 AM Re: Kid's PSK for Camp-out
Anonymous
Unregistered

Spot on Ade!!!!! I agree 110%. In fact my daughter begged me for a knife when she saw my collection. She just loves her knife as a tool. She is responsible and I have said she had better not get caught. You are so right, I will rather ask forgiveness than permission..it is easier.

#7727 - 07/24/02 07:19 AM Re: Kid's PSK for Camp-out
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Chris.....I also do not like to break the rules unnecessarily. Unfortunately, I do know the teachers accompanying the children and they know less about survival than my pet cat. This is what really concerns me. They have no clue about appropriate gear etc. I guess we will both take our chances (my daughter and I). ooooops doesn't fit into my vocabulary where my children are concerned. You are probably right though..thanks again.

#7728 - 07/24/02 08:05 AM Re: Kid's PSK for Camp-out
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have re-read my own post and all of yours (thank you) and I have decided that the knife will stay at home. I will make sure that she has the knowledge to improvise for a knife if it ever came to that. And you are probably all right...this camp is probably quite tame and no need for alarm....The walking staff is a great idea, but..as a parent we cannot help but be concerned I guess. Thank you all once again for your invaluable input.

#7729 - 07/24/02 12:59 PM Re: Kid's PSK for Camp-out
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I know it will sound silly and may take some space but put a piece of candy into their PSK. From experience I know how even the most uninviting, scary and harsh place could change into little more friendly when you have a sweet treat. You expect your kid to be tough and smart (and they are) but after all he/she is just a kid. Nothing wrong with little luxury. <br><br>Matt<br><br>I remember when I was doing an overnight hike to become more confident with navigation in the dark. I run into family who went out in the afternoon and walked for about 5 hours on the pretty much leveled trail (they assumed it's a loop but they missed the turn). They had plenty of water and exposure wasn't a problem. But they had two little girls with them who began to get scared and tired when woods started to get alive in the evening. I knew that they would have to cover some parts of the trail in the night so I backtracked with them to their car (they had no flash light). I always carry a can of hard candy with me. I gave them to the girls and a whole world around them was not so scary anymore. They started to ask qestions, run after my dog and were kind of disapointed when we got to their car.

#7730 - 07/24/02 01:08 PM Re: Kid's PSK for Camp-out
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Quote from MiniMe's thinkgeek page link:<br><br>"...And don't forget, women are always impressed by a man carrying a handy tool."<br><br>Heh since when survival became fashionable and my leatherman a chick magnet? Toooooo easy! :)<br><br>Matt

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.