Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#76060 - 11/03/06 05:50 AM Tyvek Coveralls
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
Has anyone experimented with the use of Tyvek Coveralls for survival incidents? Being involved in a number of different emergency service diciplines, I carry Tyveks in all my response and readiness equipment bags. These suits when purchased with the attached hood and booties are a one piece rain ensemble, tend to hold body heat, and are good for preventing contaminants from reaching the wearer, obviously the intended purpose. Additionally, these suits can be rolled or folded to a very small size and or vacuum packed. One noted drawback is they are not extremely strong, but can be reinforced easily with duct tape. Any thoughts or suggestions.

#76061 - 11/03/06 10:07 AM Re: Tyvek Coveralls
reconcowboy Offline

Loc: Ohio
I have about two dozen of these suits so I too would be interested in peoples thoughts on these.

#76062 - 11/03/06 12:00 PM Re: Tyvek Coveralls
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
Use 'em all the time to cover street clothes when going into an operating room. For their intended purpose (disposable coveralls) they are fine. For any long term practicality (more than 24 hours), you are better off buying some real coveralls--they just aren't that durable.

Having said the above, I do keep a few around in the truck for keeping clean while changing oil, etc, and for winter use as camoflauge/extra warmth layer (they are white, and do stop the wind).

#76063 - 11/03/06 04:34 PM Re: Tyvek Coveralls
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I keep a set in each vehicle, just for tire changing in the rain, or, heaven forbid, I get stuck in the dreaded white stuff and have to chain up. I then take them off inside out and toss 'em.

I guess they could come in handy should one have to get out of the vehicle into the elements for an extended period of time...

#76064 - 11/03/06 08:02 PM Re: Tyvek Coveralls
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I would see them mostly as a wind and rain barrier that packs really small. After all, that's what it was invented for.

Sue

#76065 - 11/03/06 09:49 PM Re: Tyvek Coveralls
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Could Tyvek be used as a sort-of poor man's emergency Goretex(tm)?

Plastic bags are dirt cheap, compact, waterproof and trap some warm air around your body. However, it really bothers me that they also will soak you in your own sweat, likely leaving you worse off than before. Same for my beloved GI poncho or any of the space blanket variants.

I wonder how well a Tyvek bivy sack would work compared to a plastic one. Sometimes all you need is something to keep the water off and trap some dead air around your body.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#76066 - 11/03/06 09:54 PM Re: Tyvek Coveralls
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...I wonder how well a Tyvek bivy sack would work compared to a plastic one?...'

Compared to plastic, my guess would be not much difference. You will sweat like crazy in either one. However, some folks feel that the vapor barrier concept will allow you to sleep warm in really cold weather. Never tried it myself...

#76067 - 11/03/06 11:11 PM Re: Tyvek Coveralls
MrBadger Offline
journeyman

The ultralight backpacking community has been using Tyvek for the different uses discussed here for several years. It is commonly used as a groundcover underneith tents. There are even people making Tyvek bivys, jackets, etc.

It is breathable, but it doesn't breath fast enough to prevent sweating, but then again, neither does Gortex.

It works well for disposable weather/dirt/grim protection. In my experience it's also a bit tougher than it looks. Ever try to open one of those tyvek post office bags without a knife? It's not easy.

I use Tyvek coveralls when I'm using a paint sprayer and they hold up to several days of use. I end up throwing them away because they get gross and I don't want to deal with them anymore. I have had a few split at the seams when bending/kneeling though. When I was commuting I kept them in my car incase I needed to change a tire, etc.

#76068 - 11/06/06 04:39 PM Re: Tyvek Coveralls
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I pack a set of regular coveralls in my pack -- sturdy and I won't take them out to use for something else. Nice set of pockets, too

TRO

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 625 Guests and 132 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.