Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7580 - 07/19/02 07:04 AM Re: Which knife in you gear?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Aaaaaaaaahhh, one of my favourite topics...knives!!!<br><br>CRKT brand is just fine....I have two for EDC a Ryan 7 folder with a plain edge and a Polkowski Kasper companion also with a plain edge. Yes the AUS6 steel could be better but then that would make them much more expensive......the ones you have chosen are great ones too. The CRKT are the best bang for your buck in knives in my opinion. They make some very good larger fixed blades too. I also have a Victorinox SwissChamp for EDC to complement the other two, and a small Wasp Lock back pocket knife in my key holder.<br><br> I have a 6 inch Tramontina Two fixed blade hunting/fishing knife permanently in the car. This is a cheapy, but handy and I don't mind if it gets damaged or lost etc. I have others in my PSK's eg. I have a Kershaw Coral Creek with a 6cm blade in the kit. I also have a 13,5cm drop point fixed blade hunting knife in my main kit with Leatherman Supertool, Ranger's Lock Back with 9cm drop point blade and a Kantas Hawker fixed blade neck knife for lighter work like cut steak with etc. and just as a handy back up blade for light work. My main camp knife is an Aitor Bucanero with a 10 inch drop point saw back fixed blade. This is a top quality survival/camp knife, and is capable of chopping down small trees as I have already had to do and stands up well to the task. It also has a recurved blade. PHEW!!!!!

#7581 - 07/19/02 03:50 PM Re: Which knife in you gear?
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Forester,<br><br>I got mine years ago at a gunshow. Cost maybe $20. If they still make them (they probably don't; they never keep making good stuff), you should be able to find it on the Ontario knives website. I really like it. For some reason I've never had much luck with longer machetes. I use it for machete stuff, digging catholes (the beavertail helps), light wood splitting, fire tending, and intimidating state forestry employees (nyuk, nyuk....sorry, couldn't resist).<br><br>I might try your grip idea, sounds pretty good. Does it get slippery when it gets wet?<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#7582 - 07/19/02 07:00 PM Re: Which knife in you gear?
Anonymous
Unregistered

A Buck Crosslock Hunter is my every-day carry, it's a great utility knife. In my kit(s) I have a Randall Model One, a Ka-Bar Next Generation Tanto, a Cold Steel SRK, a Becker CU-7, a Gerber Gator, a CRKT Ryan Model 7 folder, a Cold Steel Outdoorsman, an Ontario 18" Machete, and a Gerber Legend 800. As you can see, I have trouble making up my mind on what type of knife I prefer (mupltiple personalities maybe). ;-) Anyway, I would like to know more about the quality and feasibility of these Titanium knives, if anyone has the time. Thanks,<br><br><br>John McIntire

#7583 - 07/19/02 07:09 PM Re: Which knife in you gear?
PryBry Offline

Loc: mn, usa
I'm also a strong believer in "you survive on what you have on you"... I carry a Leatherman Wave, Kershaw Boa & LED converted Mini Mag Lite in a combo sheath on my belt at all times. Also carry a backup CrossLock Double Blade when needed... camping, canoe, etc... In my camp/ BOB gear I carry a SP8 from ontario for chopping, digging, hammering..etc. This combination will function anywhere I roam.<br>One Note... don't forget to include something to sharpen with.

#7584 - 07/20/02 12:01 AM Re: Which knife in you gear?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Everyday, I have a multitool on my belt (usually a Leatherman Wave). I also carry a folder with me...everywhere. This knife varries (sometimes each day) and is usually a tactical style single blade knife (A Spyderco Delica is my current flavor of the week). <br><br>For fixed blades:<br>In my main pack, I have a Gerber Mk II and a machete. My AR15 case carries a Cold Steel Recon Tanto, a pistol belt carries a K-Bar and another pack carries another Gerber Mk II. I have a small fanny pack with survival gear that I take on day hikes and deer / turkey scouting trips. The belt carries a Case XX fixed blade. I have a large Rubbermaid box that is basically made to live out of if something drastic happens to my home (fire, collapse, earthquake, etc...this box is kept away from my house). In this box rests a Cold Steel Bushman, a full size K-Bar, a small Buck "Bird knife" (can't remember the actual model) and a Machete.<br><br>Folding knives:<br>My two packs (one in the house and one in my vehicle) each contain a Swiss Army Knife (don't remember the model). These are medium size with the basic stuff. My car pack has a Gerber multitool and my house pack has a Leatherman orginal. My car pack also carries a Buck folder (model 110). The fannypack I use for hiking has a three bladed stockman. The big Rubbermaid tub has a Buck Crosslock, a two blade folding Case XX (big) and a couple of small folders.

#7585 - 07/20/02 01:36 AM Re: Which knife in you gear?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine are quite simple and old fashioned. I keep a Wenger Swiss Army knife with locking blade on my person 24/7. When I am purposefully in a wilderness area I carry an Ontario Knife Company Pilot Survival knife with a 5" blade. My tin has 5 Exacto blades. When I am flying I carry a Sog Paratool in my flight bag in addition to my tin and Wenger. <br> I have been thinking about carrying a "Heart Attack" plastic defense knife attached to my tin. It could be carried under the nylon string and leather shoelaces that I have lashed around it. It seems like it would make a great improvised spearhead. I havent decided on it yet though. It is really inexpensive, but I dont know if I want the added bulk.

#7586 - 07/20/02 04:54 AM Re: Which knife in you gear?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tramontina is a very good knife for anyone on a budget. They are cheap, are relatively good and ( I will probably kicked off the forum for this statement) you can sharpen them with a fine mill bastard file. If you wear the blade thin use it for a fillet knife. Cost about 15 - 22 dollars for a 5-6 inch blade, full tang on most models I have seen. Handles come in rubber or wood so cold is not a problem. My one suggestion is to round off the tip of the blade if you are going to skin animals. They tend to be to pointy. <br><br>Mariner.

#7587 - 07/26/02 08:09 PM Re: Which knife in you gear?
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
>>Your SAK sounds like a Huntsman which comes with exactly those blades.<<<br><br>Nope. Close, but not a current Huntsman - no hook on mine. Like I wrote, it is apparently a discontinued variation. I suspect that the current Huntsman is thicker than mine, but I may be mistaken - I'll mic mine and compare to the published dimensions. I don't want one that is any thicker - it's fat enough as-is for comfortable pocket carry for me - I don't like a lot of bulk/weight in my pockets EDC. Quit carrying all my keys years ago - just whatever vehicle I'm driving and that's all. Fat knives are for external carry or pack carry for me...<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>Tom

#7588 - 07/27/02 01:44 PM Re: Which knife in you gear?
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>Quit carrying all my keys years ago - just whatever vehicle I'm driving and that's all.<<<br><br>How do you go about getting back in your house?

#7589 - 07/27/02 05:15 PM Re: Which knife in you gear?
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Easy - open the door. Rarely lock it - no need where we live. And there are two large furry critters inside, as well as other passive security measures - in addition to great neighbors.<br><br>If we're out of town, the doors are locked - keys are in my vehicle.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.