Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#7541 - 07/18/02 02:03 AM Re: Survival Clothing
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree Peter, merino wool is great stuff.

#7542 - 07/18/02 03:36 AM Re: Survival Clothing
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Eeeee! We argue, er, discuss this frequently... I use what I know works and it's pretty unfashionable - assuming a downstate NY winter as one of your worst cases, I'd go with loose and layers. I mean, REALLY loose - US Army properly fitted arctic clothing type loose (which happens to work just as well in hot weather - tight clothes are miserable). Outer layer should be pretty windproof and fairly water repellant. It also should be tough as all get out. My #1 choice for this (excluding raingear) is NyCo sateen windproof cloth (either 50-50 or 40-60) with Quarpel treatment, but there are other choices. Tight weave wool-nylon stuff is good and it is quieter in the thick stuff than sateen if you're interested in other natural alternatives. There are good synthetics, but I don't suggest them as outer wear around fires - just my opinion.<br><br>As a very good general rule, eliminate all 100% cotton stuff. However... I feel - and it is my experience - that cotton underwear is OK most of the time. It does mean that you should keep a spare undershirt and drawers in your kit, though. Undergarments serve an often overlooked purpose in extended wear situations - they reduce the soiling and contamination of inner layers from body oils and grime. Silk is better than cotton, especially if you're thinking of EDC wear. Most of the synthetics can get pretty stinky... although there is no question in my mind about the performance advantage.<br><br>Rain gear is miserable stuff no matter what. I'm pretty sure there are no miracles out there... I have a gore-tex 3/4 parka I like, but it is not the trick for extended / heavy rain. I have some real rain gear for that - of course, it's a swamp inside. Rain gear is just too big a topic all by itself... sometimes I just allow the wet and dry off when I get a chance - but not in cool weather.<br><br>I think everyone else covered other things I would say. I agree with P_L about the separate wind layer and pile jacket, having used my wife as a tester on all manner of both. I use a pile liner more and more often now - but it's just one of my available layers and I'm careful about if and when I use it as an outer layer.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom

#7543 - 07/18/02 04:46 AM Re: Survival Clothing
Anonymous
Unregistered

I could not have said it better myself. That's after 25 years living with the Inuit.<br><br>You sir, is good.<br><br>Mariner.

#7544 - 07/18/02 05:17 AM Re: Survival Clothing
PeterR Offline

Loc: Wollongong [ 34.25S 150.52E ] ...
I should add to my post about Merino wool. One of the great advantages of the undergarments made of this superfine wool is that they do not itch, and they can be worn for many days without getting too stinky. A definite plus, for anyone who has shared tents, kayaks, cabins etc with polypro that has been sweated into for a few days!<br>Here is another link for those of you who want to research the superfine wool articles:<br><br>http://www.everwarm.co.nz/Merino_html/Merino_html_products.htm<br><br>Again, I add a rider; I have no commercial or other ties with the manufacturer.

#7545 - 07/20/02 01:56 AM Re: Survival Clothing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Carhart coverall's!!!!!!!!!! <br>After working outdoors for 18 years, I'm a true believer. Walls just doesnt stand up as well. <br>I like the ones with the pants that zip and snap all the way up. I dont have to take my boots off to put them on or take them off. <br>I have never seen anything at a sporting good store that is even in the ballpark for toughness. <br><br>In the boot department.....Red Wing. You get what you pay for. <br><br>These two items have kept me warm in the winter from New Hampshire to Michigan to Arkansas to Florida.

#7546 - 07/20/02 06:47 PM Re: Survival Clothing
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the deep south, it isn't the cold, it's the bugs, as I'm sure many of you know. I got a light weight, camo mosquitonet shirt for hunters, at a guerilla store near Orlando, FL. Also got several yards of nylon net from the local fabric store. These are right up there next to T-paper on my list of importance. It's not just comfort, it's that you get no rest if you have to worry with bugs all day and night, and rest is very important in a survival situation.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 332 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.