The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#75229 - 10/22/06 02:15 PM Keeping Warm without Electricity or Fireplace
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
As some know I have moved to Connecticut, and after watching "Perfect Disaster:Solar Storm", I figure I should ask now. Since I've gotten here, I've been thinking of things I'm going to need to get or do to expand my prepardness gear. I thought I would be good with Natural Gas for the steam radiant heating in my apartment. Then a coworker told me his stuff was all controlled by electrical controls. I checked my, and so am I. So, if I have no electricity, I won't have heat of any form.

Any suggestions on other alternatives for keeping warm without electricity, natural gas, or fire place? The only option I see is making an igloo in the living room, but I think that might damage the wood floors.

My coworker did notice that his basement temperature is rather stable since it is dug in, as is mine.

#75230 - 10/22/06 04:10 PM Re: Keeping Warm without Electricity or Fireplace
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
You could get a Mr. Heater portable propane heater. We have the Big Buddy model ourselves (http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=41&id=116). We use it a lot while boondocking in our motorhome when we don't want to use the generator or drain our battteries. They run about $120 or so. Get a bunch of the disposable one pound propane cylinders at Costco or Wallyworld, and some D batteries to power the fan. As long as you don't put it on HIGH it will run a long time on two cylinders, and will keep at least one normal sized room pretty warm...

#75231 - 10/22/06 04:25 PM Re: Keeping Warm without Electricity or Fireplace
silent_weapon Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
When thinking about preparedness for emergencies where services such as water, gas, electricity, etc. may be shut off or otherwise unavailable, you must think back to about 100+ years ago. How did they control their indoor temps? My suggestion is to install a wood burning stove where your fireplace is located (they make good inserts). They also have free-standing models available. This uses readily available flamable fuel and can be used to cook with.

My grandparents and brother-in-law have a wood burning stove insert and a freestanding one (respectively) and they can heat their whole house (keep doors open to all the rooms).

The other (cheaper) option would be to invest in a kerosene or propane space heater. I'm not familiar with the larger ones but Walmart and their ilk sell a cataiytic propane space heater (uses the small disposable cartridges) for about $30 dollars. It won't heat your house, but it might help take the chill off a smaller room in your basement. Of course with all improvised methods of heat, remember to have a carbonmonoxide detector (battery powered) and fire extinguishers handy. You also would have to worry about storing containers of fuel in your house with this method.

Look here for examples (I neither endorse nor sell these products so use at your own risk)
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=3000

Or something larger like this:
[Link didn't work] go to www.homedepot.com then in the search bar, type in portable propane heater.

Edited by silent_weapon (10/22/06 08:36 PM)

#75232 - 10/22/06 06:26 PM Re: Keeping Warm without Electricity or Fireplace
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Thanks. I didn't know about the portable propane heaters. I do live in an apartment and don't have a fireplace. I am going to get a mummy sleeping bag. Figure I can just camp inside!

BTW, I do, and think everyone should have at fire extinguisher and carbon monoxide detector. ESPECIALLY if you are burning anything indoors.

#75233 - 10/22/06 08:14 PM Re: Keeping Warm without Electricity or Fireplace
Seeker890 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
You are fairly limited when living in an apartment. A kerosine heater may work OK and be fairly economical. We have had one for years (bought at a yard sale). Does anyone know how long kerosine can be stored? I have some that is 20+ years old. I should dig it out and fire it up to see if it still works. I am ashamed to say that I am not as prepared as I should be with that item.

I have heard of some propane heaters that can be used indoors, but do not have any experience with them.

I have used a fireplace insert as my main source of suplimentary heat. It is a triple walled Buck stove with a thermostat for the fan control. A marine battery and power inverter keep the fan running when the power is off. When the battery runs out (hasn't yet), I can open the doors and put the screen in. With the doors closed and the fan running I can heat the house. With the doors open, I can heat the 12 feet in front of it. I try to keep the battery charged!!

#75234 - 10/25/06 04:56 PM Re: Keeping Warm without Electricity or Fireplace
dogplasma Offline

Loc: Michigan
For what it's worth, I am preparing to move into a rental house from an apartment building. The power is out, but the gas is still on. I cannot light the stove or turn on the furnace, but my hot water heater's pilot is still lit. We were inside the other day assembling some chairs and moving some boxes in - it was pretty cold inside, so I filled the sinks and bathtub with the hottest water we could make and it did make a noticeable difference.

#75235 - 10/25/06 05:03 PM Re: Keeping Warm without Electricity or Fireplace
MissouriExile Offline
dedicated member

Loc: SW Missouri / SE Wisconsin
I can second an endorsement of the Mr. Heater. It has an internal carbon monoxide detecter that automatically shuts it off if room oxygen gets too low.
We are under construction in our house and use it all the time.
It runs even if the batteries run out. Not bad for a good sized room.

#75236 - 10/25/06 09:49 PM Re: Keeping Warm without Electricity or Fireplace
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
Seriously, -and I *Am* speaking from Direct Personal Experience here, -

All you need Rock Bottom, -if you have Nothing Else, is-

Several Blankets, Sweatshirts, etc. A Sleeping Bag can be thrown into the Mix too.

The Right Amount, Type, and Arrangement of these does the Job like a Charm!

On the Coldest Winter Days and Nights of Last Season (many days 18 to 22 degrees Fahrenheit, -several at a few degrees above Zero), -I was *Perfectly Toasty Warm!!!!!* With NO other Heater, Fire or Fireplace, or Heat Source or Device of any kind! (Truth is that about half such nights, -I built an "Augmenting Fire" anyway. But on all the other half, -*I did Not!*).

If it Works so Well in a Tent or Tarp Shelter, -as it *has* for me, -Then it should Work just as Well, -in any given room of a house!

Other Options as mentioned in this Thread are of course Excellent and Advisable! But this is All one Really Rock Bottom Needs!

(Again, -in case anyone's Forgotten the Point I opened with, -I here speak only from Direct Personal Experience!). [color:"black"] [/color] [email]ki4buc[/email]

Edited by ScottRezaLogan (10/25/06 10:19 PM)

#75237 - 10/25/06 11:38 PM Re: Keeping Warm without Electricity or Fireplace
snoman Offline

Kerosene will go bad in less than a year without some type of fuel stabilizer in it. I'm told algae will grow in it. (Kero is close to diesel fuel).
Also, check you tenants contract, a lot of apartment buildings don't allow any type of extra heater.

#75238 - 10/26/06 12:35 AM Re: Keeping Warm without Electricity or Fireplace
snoman Offline

Could you build a small 'room' in the basement with well-insulated floor, walls and ceiling? Stocked with cots, blankets, sleeping bags, etc? (and some food, water, lights, radio, batteries, past-times (books, playing cards, etc?). Your families body heat might keep it fairly warm. It could even be some type of 'safe' room, in case of a bad storm.
I have 2 kerosene heaters I bought at the end of the season from Home Depot. They cost me $77 each. They won't heat the whole house, but I figure they'll at least keep the pipes from bursting. I store my kero in my garage, with a stabilizer called Pri-D. So far, it's worked great.

Edited by snoman (10/26/06 12:39 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 257 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Yesterday at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.