Topic Options
#75096 - 10/19/06 03:57 AM When Korea falls
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I came across an interesting article that I thought was worth sharing:
When North Korea Falls

It's not exactly survival related other then maybe a precursor to financial woes or straining our military to the point other rouge states may decide to try something. However, it does help explain current US actions towards North Korea.

A quote from the article:
Quote:
Middle- and upper-middle-level U.S. officers based in South Korea and Japan are planning for a meltdown of North Korea that, within days or even hours of its occurrence, could present the world—meaning, really, the American military—with the greatest stabilization operation since the end of World War II. “It could be the mother of all humanitarian relief operations,” Army Special Forces Colonel David Maxwell told me. On one day, a semi-starving population of 23 million people would be Kim Jong Il’s responsibility; on the next, it would be the U.S. military’s, which would have to work out an arrangement with the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (among others) about how to manage the crisis.

Any thoughts?
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#75097 - 10/19/06 06:33 AM Re: When Korea falls
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Excellent analysis of the Korean situation! I really enjoyed reading it.

Having lived in the Soviet Union just before it fall apart, I have some first hand experience of PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. regimes.
When my family left in 1988, there already was quite a bit of dissent: we openly talked about shortages and deficiencies amongst our friends, there were concerts of "forbidden" rock-bands, overall there was a general "westerly wind" in the country.
Quote:
There have been only individual defections of North Korean soldiers to the South. Even small, unit-level defections—which would indicate that soldiers are talking to one another and are no longer afraid of exposure by comrades—have not yet occurred.

This indicates to me that Korea will not collapse by itself any time soon. Kim Jong Il resembles Stalin and his Gulag, much more then he resembles Gorbachev and his Perestroika.

Edited by redflare (10/19/06 06:34 AM)

#75098 - 10/19/06 09:43 PM Re: When Korea falls
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I think that Kim Jong is bidding fair to be designated as an Enemy of Humanity. I am of the view that he will, if dying of something or looks like loosing power, used very bomb he has on South Korea or Japan.

Might be an idea to explain to his Generals that anyone who survives America's counterstrike will be hanged as a War Criminal. Unless they do something about him first.

#75099 - 10/25/06 09:05 PM Re: When Korea falls
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
The NK's even had, (and Hopefully no longer have!), an Arrangement with the Soviet Union / Rusha, -to Run their own Siberian Gulag Camps, -in Soviet Siberia. NK Inmates. Manned by North Korean Soldiers, Brutal (of course!) Camp Personnel, etc. I've heard of this as having begun, -back in the mid to late 60s. [color:"black"] [/color] [email]redflare[/email]

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (gcarlson), 254 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by chaosmagnet
Today at 01:07 AM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.