Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#75049 - 10/19/06 11:48 PM Re: New angle to disaster prep
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
I've worked on feeding operations for both the Red Cross and Salvation Army. Keep in mind that things differ from state to state, chapter to chapter and even disaster to disaster, but here's how things have worked here.

Red Cross doesn't really have strong mobile cooking resources. They do have ERVs, their ambulance-sized mobile feeding units, but those don't have any cooking capability on-board. Each chapter maintains one for local use and to deploy to other areas. Locally we did mobile feeding maybe 1 or 2 times a month at larger fire scenes, mostly for fire-rescue and law enforcement, but some times for those affected by the disaster. We either purchase food from suppliers (local restaurants) or get food from a church or a charity like Metropolitan Ministries. Despite working multiple declared disasters, I've actually never seen any of the Red Cross mobile kitchen units, but I believe they have them.

The Salvation Army does much more mobile cooking. Each of their mobile feeding units is propane-equipped and can prepare hot food. (Like the Red Cross, I believe each local Salvation Army "core" maintains a mobile feeding unit). They also have mobile kitchens that are very impressive. I worked a search and rescue staging area the first 36 hours after one of the 2004 hurricanes and the Salvation Army brought in their kitchen (18 wheeler trailer) and essentially turned the keys over to the SAR task force. We ate well that night. The kitchen is pretty complete and includes a walk-in fridge and freezer and space for palettes of supplies.

I think if you really want to make an impact, I'd start by talking to your local Red Cross and Salvation Army chapters. Both really are great organizations with a lot of good people, despite the occasional bad apples and mis-steps they've made. One of the two is probably doing food service (canteens) for firefighters at large fire scenes, which is the most regular need.

If it isn't them, there's probably a local firefighter union that either has or wants to start some sort of mobile feeding operation for first responders. They can be a little closed off to a non-firefighter but they might welcome the help.

Most religious denominations have some sort of feeding capability but to be honest, it's usually pretty slow in arriving and doesn't have anywhere near the impact of Salvation Army or Red Cross.

One of the almost desperate needs most of those organizations have is for self-starter kinds of people that can talk to companies and get them to agree to make donations, especially long before any disaster strikes. With the Red Cross we constantly had to find new suppliers for all sorts of things (hotels, restaurants, clothing, wholesale food, etc) and get purchase/donation agreements in place. I'm still amazed at some of the wheeling and dealing I saw volunteers pull off. I had a volunteer that I could call at 10pm "I need dinner and snacks for 75 first responders" and within an hour we'd be somewhere loading in a solid meal (not just Big Macs), all for free.

#75050 - 10/20/06 04:50 AM Re: New angle to disaster prep
beadles Offline

Loc: Richardson, TX
To confirm ratbert's post, here is an article by a Ham at the Long Beach, MS Salvation Army canteen we were at in September of last year:

Article

The cooking was mostly performed by various Southern Baptist groups, and delivered by Salvation Army vehicles from across the country.

#75051 - 10/20/06 01:22 PM Re: New angle to disaster prep
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
That's normal - the reason I brought up NVOADs and MOUs is believe it or not, even though there is overlap (aka both the SA and ARC will do some feeding etc) is that on a NATIONAL level the groups have decided what each one will specialize in. Not that they all can't do some of what each can do, it just makes sense to specialize

Take a look at
http://www.nvoad.org/
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#75052 - 10/21/06 11:05 PM Re: New angle to disaster prep
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I think you have a great idea, and I would like to give a recommendation to expand it. You have covered the part about your equipment and supplies. What I don't think you've tapped is the available resources of trained kitchen staff and servers in your area during a disaster. How many of these restaurants are going to be unable to serve customers during a disaster? What percentage of those individuals can you recruit before hand to help out? Instead of these individuals not having a role in a disaster, give them the opportunity to know that they will be counted on after a disaster, if they want to participate. There is going to be no entertainment of any kind after a disaster. The only way to distract yourself is to stay busy. Doing a job similar to what they do everyday will help.

Every individual and corporation should have a role in a disaster. Some corporations will not be able to fully function after a disaster, their business may be extremely limited. I can't think of any examples, but if a restaurant can't serve food because there is no electricity, or the roof is gone, all of the employees of the restaurant could work or volunteer somewhere else.

#75053 - 10/22/06 11:17 AM Re: New angle to disaster prep
reconcowboy Offline

Loc: Ohio
I have several servers/cooks/dish help lined up. I also have several musicians in the area that are willing to help with concerts/benefits. I have a small network of people that have skills like carpentry, masonry, and electrical to help rebuild or set up if I need it. I thought about making a portable bed and breakfast set up to give the rescue workers the best housing available during a disaster. They deserve it as they are willing to give their life to save other people. I also thought about just a hot water shower set-up. I was stationed in Turkey with Marines and it was cold as hell and the best thing there was the once a week hot shower, We used to go into town and rent a hotel room just so we could get a hot shower. If I were to go back there I would want a coffee house and a shower stall with me at all times. I was talking to my wife and I saw a portable library full of books. That was another idea I had ran through my head because I could get tons of books free or cheap but I think the coffee house would be appreciated more. I would think of it as a M*A*S*H* for java heads. M*U*C*H* Mobile Urban Coffee House.

#75054 - 10/23/06 02:05 AM Re: New angle to disaster prep
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
We made it through Charley......we met my inlaws at a halfway point and they took my wife and the kids so they at least had electricity and water. I am 'essential personel' so I had to stay. One of the best moments was when a Wendy's was able to open up. We were just happy to have ACCESS to a hot meal that wasn't out of a can. What made it even more emotional was that the manager would NOT let us pay! I can't tell you how happy it would make the local responders. The smallest bit of 'normalcy' can have the most profound effect on moral. My hat is off to you. Good luck with it.

BTW I am pretty sure that there isn't a scene commander anywhere who would be crazy enough to tell you you couldn't set up shop. If not inside the 'area' then just outside.

#75055 - 10/23/06 10:08 AM Re: New angle to disaster prep
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
One of the advantages of having worked as a camp cook for an outfitter (many moons ago), is that cooking in less than ideal conditions means being thrifty and practical. A couple good dutch ovens and a tool box full of utensils and a grub box and a 10 gallon jug of water will get about a dozen people fed and cared for for about a week. Add to that a fuel supply (propane and charcoal if I'm lucky, firewood if need be), and a good cook can get by fairly well.

Figure that if a few hundred thousand pioneers could make it work crossing the country, then why mess with success? You aren't gonna be able to feed everyone, but if you want to do your share, then you could do worse than a couple good cast iron pots and a cooking grate. Besides, everything tastes better cooked in a dutch oven over a fire, dontcha know?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (brandtb), 225 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Today at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.