Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#64 - 01/31/01 11:13 PM weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

Which weapons do u guys prefere for wilderness hunting? not just firearms but spears and bows...<br><br>

#65 - 02/01/01 08:30 PM Re: weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

i would like to have a Drilling or some variation there of. A drilling has 2 barrels one is a large rifle caliber and the other is a shotgun barrel. The other gun would be Smith & Wessons 4" mountain gun with a 4" barrel.<br><br>

#66 - 02/02/01 07:08 AM Re: weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

drillings are expensive.Closest is savage 24 in various configurations,They have lousy trigger pull and are horrid to improve.Get a large caliber rifle,literally more bang for your buck.A shotgun will take animals easily snared and weighs as much as rifle.rifle will take large game.I carry a mauser98 in .30-06. I can carry loads for anything that walks and ammo is common(but carry plenty anyway).<br><br>

#67 - 02/02/01 07:26 AM Re: weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

What are you going to shoot?In a survival situation you need 100% dependability. I carry a 98Mauser in 30-06with a field chamber(read sloppy) not match bore.tight tolerances require more cleaning and are finicky with ammo.with standard rounds you get 5rounds as opposed to three.synthetic stocks are more durable,but are you using optics or iron?most stocks are set for optics.For iron get a simple peep"ghost site".put electrical tape over muzzle.keeps crud out and will not effect shooting.Dont worry about bears! I served in Kodiak and the no see ums were far more a torment.Most folks carried 200-220grain 06'sIf you are the rare victim of bear attack(why do taxidermists display snarling beasts that were "harvested" over bait stations ?),aim for shoulder area to break the charge first,then repeat shots into vitals.Bears are excellent meat and robes.I prefer them alive!<br><br>

#68 - 02/02/01 07:43 PM Re: weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

i've had 3 savage 24camper models and had problems with all of them. <br><br>

#69 - 02/03/01 12:39 AM Re: weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

depends on your worry?<br><br>dangerous four legged animals? two legged? for emergency food gathering? long-term (ie: nuke war) survival?<br><br>4 leg: marlin guide gun lever rifle (with ashley peep sight) in 45-70 or 450 and a ruger stainless 44 bisley single action revolver (with federal's 300 grain load)<br>2 leg: marlin 44 lever rifle (with ashley peep sight) and a s&w 44 stainless mountain revolver (with lighter 180-240 grain loads)<br>war: M4 carbine with ACOG scope in 223 and a hi-cap sig 9mm<br>wilderness food survival: marlin 22LR lever rifle (with ashley peep sight) and s&w 22LR kit gun model 317 (plus a bunch of CB caps and Stingers to feed them).<br><br>anyone wish to disagree?<br><br>

#70 - 02/03/01 01:05 AM Re: weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

I prefer to carry snares and fishing gear for my "wilderness hunting weapons". Along with a couple (or four) knives. <br><br>I'll tried slingshots and old fashion "slings", throwing knives and even spears, but found firearms far more effective. Neither do recurve/compound bows or crossbows compare to guns in terms of ease, power, range and speed. OTOH, a high powered pellet rifle has some use on small game (rabbit size or smaller).<br><br>Do you mean you want to know what hunting guns we use?<br>(Mine 's a falling block Browning single shot rifle topped with a Leupold 6x42 scope.)<br><br>

#71 - 02/04/01 04:24 PM Re: weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

Isnt gun talk wonderfull?We seek the minutae of trivia,sweat over ballistics and a million options.Bottom line,look at the junk used in every major assassination,or the caliber used by inuit bear hunters.we want a gun that goes bang! when we pull the trigger,a cartridge that will get the job done and a user that knows his weapon.I dont think that whitetail knows(or cares much) if it was a .270,9.3X62,,45-120 oryuppie latte sucking asphalt pounder in a SUV going to fast!<br><br>

#72 - 02/04/01 05:28 PM Re: weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

reguarding drillings:<br><br>drillings MUST have more than two barrels. if it only has a shotgun barrel and a rifle barrel it's called a Combination or Cape gun.<br><br>here how this site ( http://www.gunshop.com ) explains the difference:<br><br>"Combination Guns - Combination Guns feature two barrels typically in an over & Under configuration. (Side by Side Combination guns are called “Cape Guns”) The barrels are always one rifle and one shotgun. These over and under guns are very versatile and typically used for European type mixed bag hunting."<br><br>"Drillings - The Drilling is a European hunting gun with Three barrels. Typical Drillings have 2 Shotgun Barrels over a Rifle Barrel. However, Drillings have been made in many configurations (rifle & shotgun) and caliber’s. (Elaborate Drillings have up to 5 barrels! The barrels can be any configuration of rifle and shotgun caliber’s.) Drilling guns are typically used for mixed bag hunting"<br><br><br>

#73 - 02/20/01 03:48 AM Re: weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

In a survival situation a reliable semiauto .22LR (i.e. Ruger 10/22) and a low power scope with back up iron sites has a lot of flexibility. Small game can be taken easily such as rabbits and head shots on grounded birds is a definite option. If the opportunity arouse a close head shot on a deer is not unheard of, but you would have only a single opportunity. I know there are many combo single shot "survival weapons", but we all miss and if your tired, wet, and cold the probability rises of a miss. So a follow up shot may make the difference. There are many opinions to this I only express mine based upon the experience I have had.<br><br>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 486 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.