Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#7306 - 08/03/02 12:29 PM Re: EDC Radio
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>http://www.ccrane.com/sangean_dt300vw_in_radio_AM_FM_TV_WX_index.asp<<<br><br><br>Both this and the model it links to are of interest for fairly large kits (I suspect nothing's going to beat the compactness of the Sinclair radios for tiny kits).<br><br>However, my working circumstances have changed again, and I find that I'll be working at the far end of a long cross-city subway ride from my home and vehicle. An AM/FM/TV radio makes a lot of sense, and battery backup is a must, but it would be very nice if it worked off AC as well- or at least could use a brick-on-a-leash adapter, so that it could live on my desk most of the time.

#7307 - 08/03/02 01:42 PM Re: EDC Radio
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
For the cost, these look very interesting. Do you have your hands on one yet? If so, how do you like it?<br><br>>>but it would be very nice if it worked off AC as well- or at least could use a brick-on-a-leash adapter, so that it could live on my desk most of the time<<<br><br>Easy to provide that if you wish. Assuming it's 3 volt (two AAA), make up a couple dummy cells, one (or both) with an appropriate connection for a standard 3v supply jack. You could even provide some smoothing with caps in the dummy cells or do a better job by running the wall wart output into a homemade smoothing box of caps and then into the dunmmy cells. Either way, I imagine the battery compartment cover would be left off - I'd tether the cover to the case (not a bad idea anyway).<br><br>Another alternative that MIGHT be feasible is to carefully mount a jack in the vicinity of the batttery compartment, routing battery and line power such that plugging in a jack cuts the batteries out of the circuit - but there might not be room for that approach - these are pretty small radios.<br><br>I doubt that smoothing the wall wart output is really important from a power supply standpoint, but I suppose it could cause some unwanted rfi at some frequencies if left at 60Hz - I'm just a tinkerer - anyone have a better idea?<br><br>Of course, the simplest approach would be a NiMh charger at work and two sets of batteries - one ready or charging and one in the radio. I saw they offer a NiCad setup, but I've found NiMh to work better for this sort of low-to-moderate current use.<br><br>Since these obviously have a jack for earbuds, you could also make up a patch cord to run the output through your computer's sound card or (depending on the speaker specifics) directly into powered computer speakers - just another thought.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom

#7308 - 08/04/02 01:08 PM Re: EDC Radio
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, sorry... don't have one yet, can't review it. It's in the "to buy" list, but business has been VERY poor for some time, and I killed all discretionary spending months ago, so... even though things seem to be easing up now, that list is still pretty long.<br><br>I suppose I could jury-rig something for desktop power, but there are three big disadvantages I can think of just off the top of my head... <br><br><br>1. It doesn't sound conducive to a quick grab-and-go.. making the determination for which is sort of the point of having the radio<br>2. I work on client sites, in their offices. I know from sad experience that at least sometimes, when there is a fire in such a place, management starts looking for scapegoats. The last time this happened I wasn't a target, but it went so far as management asking who had left thier computers powered up overnight, and who might have been the last one out and did not turn off the coffeemakers- never mind that they had never asked anyone to do so. Eventually the fire department cleared everyone, not before some very hard feelings. I wouldn't want to be the one with jury-rigged wiring running across my desk if it happened again.<br>3. I'm not really looking for a project here, just a radio<br><br>Having one small radio with a power jack for a wall supply would be fine- failing that, two separate radios, one for bug-out and one for desk might work. Battery power for one is a must- if the power goes out, I'm going to want to know what the situation is more urgently than if it doesn't.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 239 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Yesterday at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.