The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7296 - 07/06/02 08:25 AM EDC Radio
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
I'm looking for a basic personal radio to use as an every day carry item. I would ideally like to find something with a digital tuner that is capable of getting AM, FM, TV, and NOAA weather bands.<br><br>There are several portable cassette players on the market that receive these bands, but I don't want the excess bulk or expense of the tape player.<br><br>The closest thing I have been able to find is the Sony SRF-M35 Radio Walkman, or the several models in the Sports Radio Walkman line. Unfortunately, none of these models has TV and weather band reception.<br><br>Can anyone suggest an alternative? Size, weight, and capabilities are the important factors. Cost is less of an issue.

#7297 - 07/06/02 10:28 PM Re: EDC Radio
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
Amper:<br>I think what you are looking for can be found in the Icom communications receiver(s). These fine units can be located on their website at www.icomamerica.com and then click on the link for receivers. The Icom IC-R3 is quite unique for its size as you can actually receive a television video signal with it. However these units are ranging in price from about $245 to $600 U.S. at various dealers and hamfests. You can also find these units sometimes on eBay. Hope this helps.

#7298 - 07/06/02 10:29 PM Re: EDC Radio
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I don't know about TV bands, but I have a couple of the Grundig 100PE mini shortwaves (w/ AM & FM) for my vehicle and 72 hour kits. About 1x2.75x4.25, weighs somewheres around a quarter pound with it's battereis. I got mine for 25 bucks a piece. Not sure if they dip into the weather bands, I should look, but I'm pretty sure they don't do the TV bands. <br><br>Weather and TV bands shouldn't be too hard to do within that kind of size and prince envelope. Have you talked to Radio Shack? They might have questionable answers, but thier catalogs are accurate. smile

#7299 - 07/06/02 11:00 PM Re: EDC Radio
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Amper,<br><br>Sounds to me like what you want is a scanner. Try here http://http:www.dxing.com/selscan.htm and then here http://www.scannerworld.com/template.asp?.<br><br>This is my first time using markup, I hope the links show. <br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#7300 - 07/07/02 02:47 AM Re: EDC Radio
Anonymous
Unregistered

This seems like the perfect radio for what you describe, available from the C.C. Crane Co. It's the one I have stored in my 72+ hour survival kit. My only "complaint" is that it doesn't have solar or dynamo power. Oh well, cant have everything I guess. It has AM/FM/TV and NOAA weather reports. Has a digital tuner, clock. alarm, etc. etc. etc. It's $79.95. Here's the link: <br><br>http://www.ccrane.com/sangean_dt300vw_in_radio_AM_FM_TV_WX_index.asp<br><br><br>John McIntire

#7301 - 07/14/02 03:09 AM Re: EDC Radio
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would not recommend the R3 for an EDC as power consumption is way too high. The Icom R2 is an incredible reciever, but is really best for FM, meaning FM broadcast radio, TV, and monitioring PSB, Marine and Air communications. WX is quite marginal, and AM is impossible with the stock antenna, not much better with an aftermarket unit. If you must have a scanner get the R2, it runs forever on 2 AAs. <br><br>Indeed, you might want to just get a Ham licence and buy a QC7A, which is basically an R2 with 2 band Ham TX capability.<br><br>I would think the most important bands for an EDC radio would be AM, FM, and TV, and I suspect AM broadcast would be especially important, as those signals go the farthest and will have the most recent information (sources reliable or otherwise). Indeed, I suspect you could get away with AM only. Nevertheless I think the Grundig and Sangean are excellent choices. <br><br>One important consideration is batteries. I chose the Grundig for my backpack kit because it takes AAs just like my flashlight does. The Sangean makes a excellent choice for a briefcase EDC kit when mated with a Mini-Mag or Pelican AAA light and or an Arc single AAA light. It makes replacing batteries easier and you can switch them out if necessary. Lithium AA and AAA units are expensive but last longer and have less weight. One reason a scanner should not be high on your list is that most of the good ones use proprietary batteries, the R2 is an exception. <br><br>I don't suppose anyone knows of a radio which uses CR123s?

#7302 - 07/15/02 02:40 PM Re: EDC Radio
Anonymous
Unregistered

Get a Ham liscence! Being able to know that they are searching for you by listening is useless unless you can get on the air and tell them where to find you. Of course if you are involved in E&E you won't want to turn on any transmitter for fear of detection. E&E is not part of our topic here though. Further if there is a real emergency you will get the most up-to-date information from monitoring the Ham frequencies since they are the considered and lisenced to replace conventional communications for the emergency responders. A scanner is only half of the answer. The ability to call for help is the other half. Check out these links for instances where it would be informative to listen on the Ham frequencies. <br><br>Amateur Radio Station, W4EHW, at the National Hurricane Center <br><br>Hurricane Watch Net<br><br>SKYWARN:<br><br>Salvation Army Team Emergency Radio Net (SATERN): <br><br>The Waterway Net:<br><br>recent activations<br><br>Press Releases<br><br>From this information you will quickly learn to turn to the ham bands just as the reporters that you hear on FM and AM bands do when you want to know what is going on. Why not get the information first hand rather than predigested and sensationalized and most likely incorrect from the FM / AM news broadcasters whose interest is more aligned with ratings than truth?

Edited by miniMe (07/15/02 02:45 PM)

#7303 - 07/15/02 07:10 PM At Radio Shack: similar to Sangean dt300vw
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check out this similar radio:<br><br> Optimus <br><br>I have one and it seems like a decent little radio. Anybody know how it compares to the Sangean? The features seem almost identical except for a few minor details. Conveniently available at your local Radio Shack store.<br><br>I have also seen some FRS radios with either AM/FM reception or Weather band (would be nice to have both). That would give you some transmission capability, too, and in an affordable, compact and rugged package. Would that be a good choice?

#7304 - 07/20/02 02:35 AM Re: EDC Radio
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you look at my username you will see that I am a licensed Amateur Radio operator. I also hold a marine license for using HF in small airplanes. <br> Check into Ham radio and then ask yourself the same question. You can get into it without learning morse code now.

#7305 - 07/22/02 06:46 AM Re: EDC Radio
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
Just thought you guys might like to know...<br><br>I just saw tonight at Target that Sony has released a new Sports edition radio Walkman that has the AM/FM/TV/Weather bands with a digital tuner, model number SRF-M08V. It has both an armband and a belt clip with headband type headphones, which I would replace with bud-type headphones for a smaller package.<br><br>The only problem I have with this item is that it runs off of 2 AAA batteries, which to my knowledge are not available in a lithium type, as are the AA batteries. Fortunately, I carry AAA's anyway as I also carry a Petzl Zipka LED headlamp as an emergency light.<br><br>The radio is selling for $50 retail at Target.<br><br>Thanks for all the suggestions!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Phaedrus
09:49 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.