The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#72681 - 09/07/06 10:04 PM Re: Mini Maglite LED at Wal Mart
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Hey Joaquin,

If you look at the link I posted above, they have some pictures of the new Mag LED compared with the Nite-ize conversion.

I don't know if it's "better", but it is brighter. The nite-ize does not have the focusing capability like the new Minimag LED, it's a set focus. Even with the MML (MinimagLED) set at flood, it still has a pretty bright hotspot. The focusing is much quicker than the older version, it goes from Off -> flood mode > Spot mode within a quarter turn of the head. Turning it any further just decreases light output significantly. I don't have many unmodified mini-mags left to compare it to, but my guess is that it will throw just as far, if not farther, than the incandescent one. It's really hard to say for sure, because when using it outdoors, an LED and incandescent act differently, seems like my incandescents will illuminate something better, even when the LED actually puts out more light on the object. Might have to do with the color spectrum

#72682 - 09/08/06 12:19 AM Re: Mini Maglite LED at Wal Mart
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I've got both the L1T & L2T. The L2 is a little shorter & fatter than a AA Maglite.

#72683 - 09/08/06 12:39 AM Re: Mini Maglite LED at Wal Mart
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Real or imagined, it will get your attention when you're six floors up in a poorly lit plant & the flashlight quits with new batteries in it. BTDT several times.

Edited by UTAlumnus (09/08/06 12:41 AM)

#72684 - 09/08/06 04:33 AM Re: Mini Maglite LED at Wal Mart
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep, lately my job has me 15 stories underground with a 15 minute hike out in total darkness should the power go out (which it does often) and backup generator fails to kick in, so I've considered this.

If my Minimag fails with fresh batteries, it's pretty much: replace the bulb. I can do this in under a minute using light from my buddies flashlight (if he's bothered to check his batteries in the past year) or the coin-cell job on my keychain.

If a led light fails with new batteries, you'd better have a good backup as you'll be relying on it.

#72685 - 09/08/06 05:01 AM Re: Mini Maglite LED at Wal Mart
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Have I had trouble with incandecent bulbs in mag-lites?
Yes I have.
The AA & AAA Maglites blow on a regular basis and the C & D cell bulbs break when you drop the torch.
I found myself wishing for LED bulbs when the first torches came out. And I ain't that picky about the colour of the beam or throw distance. For most emergency's reliability and burn time are much more important.

#72686 - 09/08/06 07:14 AM Re: Mini Maglite LED at Wal Mart
Xterior Offline

In those circumstances I can understand why you have got a backup light. In fact, I would get some more backups.

#72687 - 09/08/06 01:22 PM Re: Mini Maglite LED at Wal Mart
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thats sonething I have seen manitioned by many people but I've carried and dropped mag's for years and have had only one bulb fail due to rust on the pin after leaving the light in my pocket and it going through the laundry. I have yet to have one blow and had a Solitaire in my pocket long enough that there was no paint left on it, it was worn all the way down to the bare aluminum.

#72688 - 09/08/06 01:55 PM Re: Mini Maglite LED at Wal Mart
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I suspect that, like many small electrical items, usage may have a serious bearing on lifespan. That is to say that a torch used only in emergency's may blow because the element may have decayed due to lack of use. It will be interesting to see how LED bulbs take longterm storage.

#72689 - 09/09/06 12:05 AM Re: Maglite LED's future
Simon Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I stopped at K-mart to pick something up, as it was closer on my route home today. Out of curiousity I looked in their flashlight section and found this: a "Made in China" Sears Craftsman LED with the same dimensions as the incandescent Mini Maglite with a red rubber tailcap button switch, wire type half-ring arm on the end for lanyard, rubber grip surface areas, comes in different metallic colors. Adjustable beam focus? $12.99

Anyone own one? Is it worth it?

#72690 - 09/09/06 01:12 AM Re: Mini Maglite LED at Wal Mart
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

In the coal mines in VA, PA, WV, & KY I assumed you would need to be using an MSHA approved light. The mines around here tend to have gases that go boom in the right concentrations.

Above ground, it's my luck with a Maglight that if the bulb goes the spare will be about five minutes behind it. I'm usually trying to juggle a clipboard, digital camera, tape measure, & the light.

For me the color rendition of a good white led or lithium incandescent makes plant inspections easier. But the run time for the incandescent vs. light output don't work.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 310 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.