Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#72140 - 08/28/06 04:03 AM High quality saw and hatchet
Dave_Rothschild Offline

I'm looking to buy a high quality saw and hatchet for vehicle carry although it might be possible that I'd have to travel on foot with them.
Sturdiness is more important here than lightweight or cost.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

#72141 - 08/28/06 05:02 AM Re: High quality saw and hatchet
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My first suggestion is buying Mors Kochanski's' Bushcraft' and learning how to handle an axe safely. Then visit www.ragweedforge.com and look over the Wetterlings. You can certainly upsell yourself to a larger axe that is far safer than a hatchet and has minimal wieght and size penalties. Ragnar has an excellent reputation among knife and outdoor forums. I have done repeat business with him over the years. For a saw, you probably will want a decent bowsaw. Most of the better ones come almost standard with excellent swedish blades. If you need something still larger, www.crosscutsaw.com is another fine and well established company. A one man saw with a basic tuning and sharpening kit can be lashed to a larger BOB or pack. The reprint of the saw manual is another library given. If you go this route, don't worry to much about tooth patterns. Theoretically they are roughly divided into hardwood/fozen and softwood designs. I've used both on everything in a pinch.

#72142 - 08/28/06 12:38 PM Re: High quality saw and hatchet
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I have both a Gerber hatchet and saw. I favor Gerber products, including their knives and multitools.

#72143 - 08/28/06 02:18 PM Re: High quality saw and hatchet
norad45 Offline
Veteran

I will echo the Wetterlings from Ragnar. I have the Small Hunter and can vouch for the quality and his service. It's a good value for the money.

#72144 - 08/28/06 06:47 PM Re: High quality saw and hatchet
Dave_Rothschild Offline

I've ordered a Gerber catalog and will study the Wetterlings link.
Does anybody have an opinion on the Sawvivor? I'd like a bow saw and this one seems like a real winner.

#72145 - 08/28/06 07:25 PM Re: High quality saw and hatchet
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
Quote:
I've ordered a Gerber catalog and will study the Wetterlings link.
Does anybody have an opinion on the Sawvivor? I'd like a bow saw and this one seems like a real winner.

I have one of the Sawvivors and it is a good saw...
They make two lengths, so be sure that the one you are getting is the one you want.
They also have a carry case for it, that I highly suggest you get unless space is CRITICLE

Edited by jamesraykenney (08/28/06 07:26 PM)

#72146 - 08/29/06 03:58 AM Re: High quality saw and hatchet
desertrat1 Offline

Loc: Kingman AZ
Gerber. They make a nice saw and hatchet set.

#72147 - 09/01/06 05:58 AM Re: High quality saw and hatchet
desertrat1 Offline

Loc: Kingman AZ
I keep both a hatchet and a single bit axe in my truck. They Definately have different uses. I think for most people, in most survival situations, a hatchet is the best bet, providing its a quality tool. Weight may be similar, but the handle length makes a big difference when it comes to kitting your gear.

#72148 - 09/01/06 01:15 PM Re: High quality saw and hatchet
Alejandro Offline
Stranger

Loc: Caracas - Venezuela
Last time that I checked the Gerber hatchets were manufactured by Fishkars of Finland. You can buy the same product in Home Deport or Lowes with about 40% discount; only difference is a little orange color.
Hope this helps.
Saludos

#72149 - 09/01/06 01:53 PM Re: High quality saw and hatchet
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Just as an FYI, I am relatively new leader in a Scout troop. The Scoutmaster of our troop told me that last year a Scout at summer camp brought along a folding hand saw - the kind where the blade folds into the handle much like a pocketknife. He says that while one of the Scouts was using the saw the blade snapped during the push stoke. That wouldn't have been so bad, but the portion of the blade still in the wood jabbed into the side of the Scouts hands creating a nasty gash that required stitches.

Now, I suppose that could happen with any kind of saw, but a folding saw puts the hand so close to the blade area that it makes me lean toward a bow-type saw even more.

I currently have a Sven folding saw and have used it for years with good results. The only problem with it is that the angle of the handle always felt odd and the triangular shape limits the thickness of wood that it can cut.

Lately I've been looking at the 18" or 24" Trailblazer aluminum buck saw - and leaning toward the 24" version. It looks like a nice saw that stows very compactly, is durable, and can cut large wood. Here are links to two reviews:

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=43

http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/knives/trailblazer.html

For a hatchet, I've seen the Granfors Bruks axes and they are nice - they ship so sharp that some of the ones I saw at the store had actually sliced through the leather sheaths as people had taken the sheaths on and off - that is sharp!! It makes me wonder if anyone makes a kydex sheath for them.

During my Scout leader training they recommended I buy a Estwing 16" plastic gripped Camper's Axe. The idea is that the metal handle takes a lot of abuse from young Scouts - much more than a wooden handle. I ended up buying a leather-handled Estwing Sportsman's Axe because I couldn't find the other one locally. I've been warned to keep the handle dry so it doesn't absorb water once the varnish coating wears off. Of course I'd keep it dry anyway since it is carbon steel.

The Estwing axe is not nearly as sharp as the Granfors Bruks axes and doesn't take an edge as well, but my goal has never been to put a shaving sharp edge on an axe anyway. If I was buying an axe limited to my own personal use I'd probably buy one of the larger Granfors Bruks axes and would hope I can find a kydex sheath for it.

Ken K.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.