Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#72094 - 08/27/06 04:14 PM Carefully Calculating Your Needs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been absent from posting on the forum for some time; I’ve endeavored a bit of worthy lurking here and in other forums, and enjoying the beautiful outdoors these past months. Now I have some questions:

Many who are attempting to become prepared for various emergency life-disrupting scenarios will have different needs. I'm not referring to the basics, like FAKs and PSKs, but in strategies and pre-planning. City dwellers will have different needs from those in urban and those in rural areas. My concerns are not at-home preparedness, but more related to being displaced.

For those of us who have followed this line of thought (and pre-planning) many have identified different locations as "safe-spots". These may be a friend or family member's home, a cabin or second home or maybe a cache where one may stay a few days or weeks in the woods.

So my questions are: for those of you who know you can get out of a populated area without being locked in by gridlock (city dwellers will have a tough time) how many miles do anticipate traveling, what are your methods of transport? What have you considered as “safe location” options?

#72095 - 08/30/06 06:27 PM Re: Carefully Calculating Your Needs
Duke Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Harlan KY
If we need to leave our home there is some rough farm land we have access to about 8 miles away and we would meet there. I would intend to drive, as it is a rural to rural situation. Of course whether I would do that would depend upon the nature of the threat. The reason I want to go there is because it has water in the form of a spring that would need minimal attention and I know every nook and cranny of it should anyone be threatening. If the challenge was more environmental, though, that wouldn't work and I would have to scrap that idea and do something else.

#72096 - 08/30/06 08:49 PM Re: Carefully Calculating Your Needs
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
Another thing to consider is whether we are talking about "survival" in the strictest sense or maintaining our current lifestyle with reguards to food and water intake. Most likely it's somewhere in between for most of us. I was under the impression that larger folks, or more specifically folks with more body fat can actually survive longer with less food than leaner folks.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.