Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#720 - 05/17/01 04:53 AM candle enhancement
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I just refreshed my emergency candle supply.According to my many catalog suppliers,I need a 'rolling blackout'kit for this summer in Southern California.SIGH,now I have to remove the Y2K,Mir Station,earthquake,Fire and O.J. Simpson disaster lables from my emergency pack.Anyway,my 92y/o neighbor taught me a trick.Place your candles in water and add approx.2 teaspoons of salt and soak for two hours.This will extend the burn time.Storing in the freezer until use also gives some additional life.<br><br>

#721 - 05/17/01 05:29 PM Re: candle enhancement
Anonymous
Unregistered

2 teaspoons of salt per (how much water) for 2 hours<br>And I guess you allow the salt to dissolve before <br>putting in the candle to soak?<br><br>(You could always put Robert Blake's name on your kit if<br>you take O.J.'s off) -hehe<br><br>"Stay Frosty"

#722 - 05/17/01 09:23 PM Re: candle enhancement
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Dissolve salt first,enough water to cover candles<br><br>

#723 - 09/20/01 10:27 PM Re: candle enhancement
jet Offline
Enthusiast

Has anyone on the forum done any comparison testing on this technique?<br><br>Stay safe,<br>J.T.

#724 - 09/20/01 11:56 PM Re: candle enhancement
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yes, I did. The gains are modest. If you have quality candles in supply or one of the long burning nu-wick type it really isn't neccessary. I did it with inexpensive emergency candles and got about a 20% increase burn time. Then I believed the package labeling about a high melting point and stowed one in the first version of my pocket tin. Pocket tin, Mk 2 quickly followed, sans candle<br><br>

#725 - 09/25/01 06:43 AM Re: candle enhancement
ratstr Offline
@

Loc: Dardanelles
Same method has been used here. We had great blackouts 20 yrs ago:)) When you need a candle look for one which is dull in color. It will melt more slowly.<br><br>Survive and Protect

#726 - 09/26/01 08:33 AM Re: candle enhancement
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,<br><br>I've seen a nice trick to give more burntime to emergency candles of the "pink lady" type and similar sized emergency candles on a Woodmaster series video tape from Ron&Karen Hood.<br>He uses a brass end of a spend 12 gauge shotgun cartridge that he puts in the fire to burn out all the plastic and then after cooling down he remmoves the spend primer and the brass bottompiece of the 12 gauge shotgun shell fits exactly over the pink lady emergency candle with the wick sticking through the primer hole.<br>If you then light the wick it burns but the "brass cap" sees to it that the candle burns much longer.<br><br>Give it a try.<br><br>Best Scouting wishes from Holland,<br><br>Bagheera<br><br><br>

#727 - 09/26/01 01:51 PM Re: candle enhancement
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Nice tip. I imagine that the same technique could be adapted to other items, including a hood fashioned from aluminim foil, which is a common item in PSKs.<br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#728 - 09/26/01 01:57 PM Re: candle enhancement
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I don't know if folks on this forum will know the answer to this, but I was reflecting upon Bagheera's suggestion. It seems to me that the reason this technique extends candle life is that the small opening in the center of the shell brass reduces the amount of exposed wax, hence slowing the burn rate.<br><br>If this is correct, would the slow burn rate also reduce the heat produced by the flame? And, if so, does it make a difference if the candle is being used to keep warm, like if you are burning it while crouched under a poncho as a makeshift shelter. <br><br>I guess one would have to make a judgement on how to ration one's resources. You want to make items last as long as possible. But if it doesn't generate enough heat to keep you warm you could lose your sense of judgement or, worse yet, the battle against cold.<br><br><br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#729 - 09/26/01 02:15 PM Re: candle enhancement
chuuucky Offline
Stranger

Loc: southern CA
Bagheera: hello to you, thanks for the pass-along info about the brass shotshell base trick for burn time expansion of typical candles. Would you please email me chuuucky@hotmail.com with advice about how to place a small order with you for some fire sticks, etc.? Many thanks.<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 515 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.