Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#71895 - 08/24/06 01:50 AM liner lock cuts
311 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NY USA
I join the ranks of those who have cut themselves while using a knife (for about the fifth time). I was using a Buck crosslock deputy knife to punch a hole in a plastic jug. The knife suddenly folded & cut my rt index finger. I attempted to find out why this happened. I may have inadvertently pressed on the crosslock & released it, but I can't tell for sure. Does anyone else have any experience with crosslocks?

#71896 - 08/24/06 02:19 AM Re: liner lock cuts
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Crosslocks, not first hand, but are they true liner locks?

My first knife was a liner lock and I've used them ever since for my main folders. I've never had one show any signs of wanting to unlock on me.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#71897 - 08/24/06 01:42 PM Re: liner lock cuts
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

All locks have failure modes, some moreso than others. Liner locks are known to fail for numerous reasons. The most common by far is failure to engage fully initially. This can occur for a number of reasons and unless you eyeball it before each use, you will not notice it. They can also be inadvertantly released, the lock can literally bend, slip due to contamination, wear, etc. I've had numerous Buck CrossLocks that worked just fine, but they are certainly subject to the usual common failure modes. If I were to bet, I'd say it didn't engage fully originally.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#71898 - 08/24/06 04:41 PM Re: liner lock cuts
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I am a fan of the Buck Crosslock. I have not had a problem with them but they do have issues. The liner can easily be inadvertently pressed unlocking the blade. The design allows the blades and scales to flex allowing the lock to happen at different places on the blade.

On the plus side the blade shape is great! You can get a great edge on them. The saw works really well and is good for scraping a ferro rod.

I gave mine to my son. I EDC a Charge Ti with a pocket clip.

#71899 - 08/24/06 11:17 PM Re: liner lock cuts
Hanscom Offline
Journeyman

I worked in a cutlery store handling many different brands of knives and all kinds of locks. After a while I realized why I was getting annoyed with liner locks: it seems to be the easiest locking mechanism to do badly. In some knives it also seems susceptible to pocket lint at the locking faces. There are some excellent ones; Al Mar SERE, Lone Wolf, and Chris Reeve knives come to mind. Yes, they are all expensive.

Most people I worked with ended up with a Benchmade in their pocket. I got the Ritter mini-RSK.

#71900 - 08/25/06 08:26 AM Re: liner lock cuts
311 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NY USA
TNX for the info. I'm still a bit confused. Perhaps this is a good reason to buy a new knife for more "research". The knife in the picture looks like it has holes in the handle. Is this a new method of cutting off the end of your finger? You put it in the hole, then close the knife. Or is it maybe for cigars?

#71901 - 08/30/06 02:46 PM Re: liner lock cuts
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I haven't paid much attention to folding knives until recently.
Just bought a couple of CRKT M-16 folders. They have a clever little LAWKS system on them. This is a small wedge that slides in behind the liner to prevent inadvertent unlocking of the liner. This warms my engineer's heart. Maybe other brands have equally good approaches to the unlock potential problem too.

unimogbert

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 260 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Yesterday at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.