Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#71754 - 08/26/06 04:07 AM Re: "Why We Don't Prepare" and what is being done
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
The reason so many people don't prepare can be summed up by something my first girlfriend in college said. Don't mean to offend anyone by talking about something personal, but here goes...

Our relationship quickly developed into a sexual one. First time for either of us. Early on, I suggested that she consider some form of birth control, as I was doing my part. She said, "I think that would make it too real..."

Most people IMHO don't want to think about preparing because "that would make it too real." As Doug mentions in "Prepared to Survive", a lot of people think it will always happen to the other guy. Chances are, at least once in our lives, we will be "the other guy".

My girlfriend chose not to use birth control while I continued to. When she got pregnant, she found out how "real" things could get.

Always assume you'll be the other guy...plan for that, and you'll be a lot better off.

#71755 - 08/27/06 02:55 AM Re: "Why We Don't Prepare" and what is being done
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I'll not soon forget what one young woman in NYC said right after that massive power outage: "Well, if we prepare for it to happen again, it's like we're admitting that it will happen again", or something very similar to that.

Stupid is as stupid does... or doesn't...

Sue

#71756 - 08/28/06 05:44 PM Re: "Why We Don't Prepare" and what is being done
JimJr Offline

Loc: Central Mississippi
It won't happen to me

It's the Government's job to help me.

It's the "trained professional"'s job to help me.

The first is simple human nature, deny non-urgent risks. If it won't affect me today and it won't affect me tomorrrow, why worry about it, I have enough to worry about as it is.

The second and third are products of our more urban-centered attitudes. They are also a product of education. We have been "educated" that it is the government's job, via it's "trained professionals" to come to our rescue intimes of need..

We need to face facts, that's not the way the (U.S.) governemtal system is supposed to work. FEMA does not and can not ride into town on white horses to rescue us from our problems. They are supposed to respond to a State's call for assistance.... Well, I'm probably preaching to ther choir....

I need to get a soapbox.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 278 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.