Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#70905 - 08/11/06 07:57 PM Re: Kevlar vs. Nomex gloves?
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
"Don't confuse heat with flame. Nomex doesn't repel heat, it protects against flame. You need to wear something under the nomex to protect against heat. "

That doesn't mean nomex isn't heat resistant, only that the material is designed to be "Inherently flame-resistant, NOMEX® won't melt, drip, burn or support combustion in the air." It is heat resistant in that it's stable at high temps. http://www.dupont.com/nomex/

OTOH, if you are wearing a flight suit and aviator gloves, intense heat can burn you through the nomex even though the nomex doesn't burn. I always wore cotton (levi jeans and a cotton turtle neck) under my flightsuit. The old cotton thermal u/w formed a good thermal barrier under nomex.

#70906 - 08/12/06 02:19 AM Re: Kevlar vs. Nomex gloves?
Lance_952 Offline

I would go with Kevlar, or something like it. for years now I have had a couple pair of SECO Gear extrication gloves, one set on bunker gear and the other in the trunk of the car. We ordered them from Galls or Chief Supply. Just watch the sizeing on them, I have smaller hands and I have to have the extra large size

#70907 - 08/12/06 03:06 AM Re: Kevlar vs. Nomex gloves?
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
First, let's just say I know a few things about armour. Military armour has plates in it in most cases. Most police uniform and plainclothes/consumer armour has a pocket for plates, but it is usually soft armour. And if you think that every piece of soft armour has plates in it, you obviously have not handled very much of the stuff. Emphasis on the words SOFT, ie squishy, ie flexible, ie no plate. Plates turn you into the Tinman, and are a completely different thing than talking about kevlar, spectra, or any other aramid unless you laminate it, which you wouldn't do with gloves.

Kevlar was designed to be strong, you're right. But it also happens to have very nice insulative values (even when used in a single layer; just keep in mind how thick that layer is, even if it is between wool and silk as an insulation), and is highly resistant to ignition. It is exactly what it was designed to be- synthetic silk, it's just that it has a lousy texture so it hasn't made the grand leap to being a fashion fabric.

When you read (if you do) scifi from the 50s and 60s, and they are talking about "spider armour" or something simliar, they were predicting Kevlar.

As was pointed out, Nomex's sole value is that has an extremely high tempurature resistance, but doesn't work worth squat to keep you warm. That tempurature resistance has to do with the fact that it's ignition point is very, very high (if your nomex is burning, you're burning). It has a greatly inferior insulation value and resistance to both cutting and abrasion compaired to kevlar. It has zilch in the way of reflective value without doing something like metalizing it. (Were you thinking of asbestos?)

They use nomex or nomex/kevlar blend on the outside of bunker coats becuase it doesn't want to burn, and then there is insulation between you and the nomex so you don't burn. Flight suits are made out of uninsulated nomex mainly to protect from flash burns; they don't plan on you being in the fire with one.

Don't like my answer? Try the dupont website.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#70908 - 08/12/06 03:09 AM Re: Kevlar vs. Nomex gloves?
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Old fashioned leather work gloves might not be as high speed studly, but they are a lot cheaper and for what you are describing will work just as well.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#70909 - 08/12/06 03:13 AM Re: Kevlar vs. Nomex gloves?
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

That's why you see Kevlar/Nomex blends without a thousand patent lawyers sharpening thier teeth. And why you never see Spectra/Nomex blends (that, and the melt point on Spectra is a lot lower than Kevlar's, it would kinda defeat the purpose) - Spectra is a Honeywell concoction.

#70910 - 08/12/06 04:06 PM Re: Kevlar vs. Nomex gloves?
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Re: Nomex flightsuits and flash burns
The value of Nomex is that it is resistant to melting and burning. A thin flight suit doesn't have insulating properties any better than any fabric of similar thickness.

People have been severely burned when a flash fire fused the low melting point synthetic clothing they were wearing under their "fireproof" Nomex. "It's what's inside that counts (also)."

Edited by thseng (08/12/06 04:07 PM)

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#70911 - 08/12/06 04:45 PM Re: Kevlar vs. Nomex gloves?
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

FWIW, I previously posted some links to some fire resistaint clothing.

-john

#70912 - 08/14/06 04:28 AM Re: Kevlar vs. Nomex gloves?
inkslngr Offline
Journeyman

Loc: AZ
My, aren't we touchy.

#70913 - 08/15/06 01:29 AM Re: Kevlar vs. Nomex gloves?
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Here's what I chose, I think you can see why.

tactical gloves link

This from the company that I bought my SL-1 sungear from last year in Baghdad.

See what ya think.

#70914 - 08/15/06 04:11 AM Re: Kevlar vs. Nomex gloves?
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Oh, no arguement there.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 545 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.