The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#69589 - 07/22/06 04:44 AM This could be useful
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Moon and sun rise and set tables by date range. I can see this being something that gets laminated and slipped into a kit once a quarter/year. While moving at night isn't always very smart, knowing when the moon will be up and it's phase is something that could be handy in some cases.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#69590 - 07/22/06 01:39 PM Re: This could be useful
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Thanks for that. I am on the look-out for useful data since I came across http://www.pocketmod.com/ mentioned in the EDC Forums. PocketMod is basically a way of folding a standard sheet of paper (A4 sized in my case) in 8, and cutting a slit in it, so that it folds into a small booklet format. The website has some software which pre-prints the paper with lines for writing, graph paper, calendars and such.

I've not found the PocketMod idea of useful data to be especially good for me, so I've adapted the idea to some DTP software I have and made it more personal. The basic idea is good, though. I don't bother laminating. My final booklets measure about 3x4" and take almost no space when slipped into a back pocket. It provides something for my Inka Pen to write on.

Here's what I currently have printed on mine: local phone numbers, 6-month calendar, ruler in inches and cm, protractor, some conversion factors (inches to miles etc), some maths formula (sine and cosine rules etc), 4 sides of lined paper and 1 of graph paper. That takes up the 8 sides which the booklet format makes readily accessible. I have used the reverse side of the original sheet for more obscure reference material: sine and cosine tables, a morse code table, and now sun and moon rise and set times. 5 hidden sides are currently blank.

At the moment the reference content is geared towards navigation and is largely inspired by the thread here a while back about fixing your position using trigonometry. It's not something I expect to use for real, but I quite fancy not being wholly dependant on electronic calculators. It might be better to replace it with more practical info such as that printed on the sheet that comes with Ritter's Pocket Survival Kit. I expect I will be tweaking and printing off fresh copies for a long while.

#69591 - 07/24/06 08:18 PM Re: This could be useful
garrett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
I have visited the site and it is a great idea! Right now, all I have is a whole pocket mod full of Sudoku puzzles, but that is mostly because I was just trying it out. I would like to be able to make custom pages to suit my own needs, as the ones listed are not exactly what I am looking for.

Garrett

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 173 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 06:13 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.