#69513 - 07/24/06 10:34 AM Re: Why were paramedics were paid poorly in Katrin
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Nice. Have another beer.

#69514 - 07/24/06 12:21 PM Re: Why were paramedics were paid poorly in Katrin
311 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NY USA
I suggest Carlsberg made in the Great White North..

#69515 - 07/25/06 10:54 AM Re: Why were paramedics were paid poorly in Katrin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Catlsberg? mmmmmmm sounds like something worth waiting for. lol

Sorry Norad, If I might guess, you were just being pc or do not believe we have problems with illegal immigrants. And i didn't mean to devalue this thread, I think it was a very good question. So I shall move my assine American values to another forum and continue to enjoy everybodies questions and informative answers in regards to equipped to survive here.

peace.

#69516 - 07/25/06 06:56 PM Re: Why were paramedics were paid poorly in Katrin
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Okay... for those that don’t know I am a professional Paramedic and Firefighter and I have worked in Private EMS since the beginning of my career also, that being said...

II have seen the pay scale across the country for EMT (Basic) and since I started as an EMT things have improved greatly. While I made minimum wage as an EMT when I starts, EMT's today (at the same company) start at $10/hr a huge step up. Not bad when you think about how little schooling they had to complete to become an EMT! Paramedics in the private sector start at almost $14/hr (again, in AZ). When I read the EMS wages reports every year, it seems that most locals have increasing pay also

I know there are other Professional EMS providers out there who are sick and tired of our coworkers [censored] because they only got a $0.50/hr raise this year, expecting more, but when a 0300 move-up or interfacility comes over the radio the call the dispatcher and complain and [censored] about it for the next three days. If we expect to get more pay, then expect to DO YOUR JOB and not complain about it.

Now, to the question… NO area is notorious for poor pay and corrupt EMS companies (the companies, not the providers!) the rural area also has a number of volunteer agencies which bring the averages down. Those providers did an outstanding job (from what I heard) in very poor conditions. They were hindered by a number of things, but incident management was a major one!

A good number of the agencies who sent resources to the disaster were volunteer departments. I witnessed many of these volunteers who left their jobs and families for poor pay from FEMA act more professional then many of the Career firefighters who deployed!

Just out of currosity, how are EMS jobs threatened by illegal Immegrants? Living in the southwest and all, and being well intrenched in the EMS community here I have never heard ANYONE talk about this... The Illegal Immegrant's are job security for many EMS providers!

Edited by romania (07/25/06 06:59 PM)

#69517 - 08/03/06 12:44 AM Re: Why were paramedics were paid poorly in Katrina ?
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Yes it is a job of service.......but we need to earn a living wage. Several years ago our county commissioners unanimously voted (5-0) to approve an across the board raise of 25%. Now tell me....how often do elected officials unanimously do things......it goes to show how badly we were paid.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (dougwalkabout), 291 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.