Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#6854 - 06/08/02 08:20 AM Pinewood Derby Impending
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
My youngest son's Pinewood Derby is impending. In our (only) prior race (2 years ago), he & his brother came in respectively 3rd & 1st in our district. I'm not sure how much was skill & how much was luck. <br><br>In the real world of PWD racing, what do you all think of the following:<br><br>1. Beveling wheels where they actually bear on the road?<br><br>2. Beveling axle heads where they actually bear on the wheels?<br><br>3. Designing the car to run on 3 wheels bearing on the road surface?<br><br>4. Reducing the outer diameter of the wheel's sleeve holding the axle on the side that bears on the car body?<br><br>5. Balancing the car re weight distribution?<br><br>6. Any other ideas?<br><br>Our PWD is in 1 wk. So were executing our design in the next few days.<br><br>Feel free to communicate via PM if you wish.<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>John

#6855 - 06/09/02 03:17 AM Re: Pinewood Derby Impending
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

John, from my ranch partner and 3 time pinewood derby winner- yes to all the above. It does make a difference. If it is legal do it.

#6856 - 06/09/02 04:49 AM Re: Pinewood Derby Impending
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't forget the secretly imbedded magnet in the front end (placed AFTER the kids are asleep) <br><br>Robb

#6857 - 06/10/02 01:53 PM Re: Pinewood Derby Impending
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Ideas 1 - 4 are prohibited by the rules. you can play with weight distribution as long as it doesn't exceed to total weight limit. The instructions include these resrictions.<br><br>Keep in mind that the racing is secondary to the process of having your son (a) build a car and learn common woodworking/model making skills, and (b) another chance for the two of you to spend time together on something that's just for the two of you.<br><br>BTW, most Packs have an "Open" class for the dads where you can try out your inoative ideas.

#6858 - 06/11/02 03:00 AM Re: Pinewood Derby Impending
Anonymous
Unregistered

John,<br><br>Try tapping the inside of the wheel with a 4-40 tap. It reduces about 40 percent of the friction on each wheel. Friction is a Pine Car Derby racers enemy.<br><br>Regards<br>Bruce G.

#6859 - 06/12/02 07:07 AM Re: Pinewood Derby Impending
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Guys,<br><br>We really appreciate the suggestions. We're trying many of them.<br><br>BTW, it's helpful to remember that each local derby establishes its own rules. Thus enormous variation exists as to what permissibly can be used. Our individual derby's set of rules is pretty broad. We find it worthwhile to explore the options to maximize each car's speed. That also encourages imaginative approaches by the boys.<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>John

#6860 - 06/14/02 01:42 PM Re: Pinewood Derby Impending
billvann Offline
Old Hand

>>>BTW, it's helpful to remember that each local derby establishes its own rules.<<<<br><br>I was under the impression that there was one set of rules nationally, but I could be wrong. Our Pack pretty much follows the rules on the inclosed instruction sheet so we're running "stock" instead of "modified" class of racers.

#6861 - 06/15/02 08:33 AM Re: Pinewood Derby Impending
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Bill,<br><br>You might want to take another look at the enclosed instructions/suggestions. Also you may want to look at a booklet from the BSA titled "Grand Prix..." (mine is already packed in our PWD kit for the big event tomorrow, l& I forgot the subtitle. It discusses the PWD, & some other projects culminating in races. The rules mentioned are only provided as samples or examples. <br><br>Fairly common rules relate to maximum length, width, weight, minimum ground clearance, restriction to BSA wheels & axles, prohibition of using any power other than gravity & fast start devices. Frequently wheel tracks/treads cannot be changed. Practical height limitations may also exist. Sometimes the axle locations cannot be shifted.<br><br>See also, Car Talk re PWD cars, & "The Pope's Place" (No, not that one. ;-} I think his name is Stan Pope. He has a very good website, at least re BSA)<br><br>At the risk of sounding like a lawyer (sorry, sometimes I just can't help it :-} ), it really is helpful to read & ponder the rules. That way you not only know your rights & obligations, but you also need to know what is available. That can stimulate a lot of creativity & fun. The rules exist to provide fair & level playing field where everyone can compete to the utmost of his ingenuity & industry. You can really do some fairly mechanically sophisticated stuff with nothing more than an electric drill & vise ( at least by my primitive standards) , as well as other common hand tools. <br><br>Anyway, we're all looking forward to the race. (Actually, PWD, Wife's B-day, & F's day all in 1 weekend is a little much for us.) After the official CSA derby, adults, BS, & veteran CS will compete with their often experienced fastest car from the past. So you really can tell how the old-time champions would fare against modern competitors. <br><br>So, we're all getting excited over it. BTW, my 1st year Webelo did do a lot of the work himself (just as the BSA materials suggest that that the Cub Scouts try to do much of the work themselves {with their father/whomever}. But, don't forget some use of power tool(s) can help. A Cub needs to see what to do & how to optimize. And we had to go to 3 hardware stores to get the right tools (properly sized bolts, etc, & drill bit). BTW, forget the mega-chain stores. I was brushed off so fast, from a chain where I have PREVIOUSLY spent thousands of dollars that I was truly impressed (negatively). A very knowledgeable clerk at a mom&pop hardware spent 20 minutes on us notwithstanding a potential sale under $1.!!! He called a specialty hardware which had our product. Due to our urgent need, he sent us directly there. They had the specialized products we needed. We splurged & spent $6.88. Now why is it that Mega-chain has just lost another customer, and Mom&Pop just made a new one. Maybe 1 family doesn't matter; many individual families do. I hope others are & have been quicker to wise up than I have been.<br><br>Sorry about the rant. Anyway, we'll see how it goes tomorrow (8 hours & counting down).<br><br>Yours in scouting,<br><br>John

#6862 - 06/17/02 01:44 PM Re: Pinewood Derby Impending
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for the tips (and correction).

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 516 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.