Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#68090 - 07/04/06 02:46 PM Re: What happens if you can't find dry wood?
Simon Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Road flares are not something I ever want to pack on me trapsing around through the forest, but cool if it works for you. If its as cold of a scenario as you portray, you have a good point. Maybe I need to pack handwarmers when its cold.

#68091 - 07/04/06 03:49 PM Re: What happens if you can't find dry wood?
ADRENJUNKY Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Why wouldn't you want to carry a flare? (Just curious)

#68092 - 07/04/06 04:15 PM Re: What happens if you can't find dry wood?
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
That depends on how shock sensitive the flares are. And don't you want to reserve them for signaling?

#68093 - 07/04/06 04:20 PM Re: What happens if you can't find dry wood?
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Road flares would be good for both making a fire and signalling. If you're freezing NOW though, it might be best to use it to make a fire and save yourself. Otherwise some hunter might find your cold lifeless body with a couple perfectly good raod flares still in your pack.

#68094 - 07/04/06 05:42 PM Re: What happens if you can't find dry wood?
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

the problem is, no ne ever knows when they will need to expediantly start a fire. many people go solo, bad idea in my opinion, none the less they do. for whatever reason, it seems many accidents happen when your solo. perhaps, their isn't that buddy telling you "hay! don't cross the river there". what ever the case, it would be prudent on the soloist part to have an easy, effective way to start a fire on their own. you never know when you'll fall through ice or in a cold river, when out and about.

make no mistake, just because it is the middle of summer, doesn't mean you won't suffer from hypothermia. a quick dip in the river, produced from snow melt, will surly change your mind. add to that your doing a solo adventure, hmmmm! sounds like recipe for disaster.

personally, I don't care how well I can start a fire with two sticks of wood or a lighter, I'm going for the guaranteed fire starting method. for me, that's a flare.

Alan Halcon

#68095 - 07/04/06 08:29 PM Re: What happens if you can't find dry wood?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well put Halcon...I agree totaly. I think that if you are in the woods with or without someone why risk it. Bring something that will save your life. So what if your pride is damaged because you cant start a fire with two thumbtacks and a ball of yarn.

#68096 - 07/04/06 10:52 PM Re: What happens if you can't find dry wood?
KI6IW Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I carry a road flare (also called a railroad fusee) as my last-ditch, must make fire now device. It works well, is extremely durable, not the least bit shock sensitive, and nearly waterproof. But they make a poor signaling device. When I lay down a flare pattern on a roadway (perhaps 10 or so), it usually only takes a minute or two for someone to drive right over them.

#68097 - 07/05/06 02:07 AM Re: What happens if you can't find dry wood?
Simon Offline

I carry enough homemade pyro hardware and tinder that is safer to carry and use that will flame up in a hurry. Its just more weight to lug. Disagree with me if you want, its just my preference.

#68098 - 07/05/06 02:45 AM Re: What happens if you can't find dry wood?
Simon Offline

Good points, Alan. It rarely snows where I live, though. Terrain, climate, personal preferences, abililties, skills, and needs all have alot to do with.decisions of this type. Road flares are just overkill for me. Remember though, that's only for ME. We tailor what we tote to ourselves, just because something works for me, doesn't mean it works for everyone

Going solo is risky, but good planning and precautions can be taken. You can't always have somebody to hark at your beckon call to go on a trip for whatever reason in the wilderness for a couple of hours. So prior notifying of people is essential.

As for myself, I take the risk to enjoy wildlife, but I do let people know where I am going, when I will be back, stay in cell phone range. etc., etc, etc.

Life is full of risks. But I don't go out overnight alone, that is too risky for me. Remember this line?: "A man has got to know his limitations."

#68099 - 07/05/06 03:20 AM Re: What happens if you can't find dry wood?
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

Simon good post. I am curious, however. why the disdain for flares? I'm not trying to be confrontational, I am just wondering if perhaps there's issues with them, that I'm not aware of?

Alan

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 546 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.