Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#6741 - 06/05/02 03:18 PM Advice on visiting Washington, D.C., please
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
There's an exhibit at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C. that my wife wants to see. <br><br>Of course I carry a PSK with me everywhere that contains a Leatherman WAVE. I also carry on my person a Victorinox SwissCamp, a Vic Executive, and a Spyderco Cricket. I think that's it for blades.<br><br>As I will be visiting Washington, I guess I will be subjected to metal detectors, wands, body searches, the whole gauntlet of indignity. Should I just grit my teeth and leave all blades at home for this trip? What about a Swiss-Tech MicroPlus?<br><br>Does anyone know what I'll be walking into, other than Stalag 13?<br><br>Any suggestions will be appreciated.<br><br>Craig

#6742 - 06/05/02 08:55 PM Re: Advice on visiting Washington, D.C., please
Anonymous
Unregistered

On the street, a blade under 3 inches should be legal in DC, so all of those sound OK. Getting into places is a different story. Federal facilities generally allow blades under 2.5 inches, but that rules out most of what you have, and I wouldn't want to try to negotiate a security checkpoint with multiple blades. Some places may not allow any blades (especially the White House, for instance). If the museum is the one place you are likely to go, you can call them and find out what their policy is.<br><br>If you don't want any hassles and you want to go anywhere you feel like and you really want a knife, I recommend taking one blade below 2.5 inches in length that is cheap enough that you don't mind losing it at a security checkpoint if necessary.

#6743 - 06/05/02 09:19 PM Re: Advice on visiting Washington, D.C., please
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's the website and their phone number. You could call and ask just to make sure. <br><br>http://www.nga.gov <br>(202) 737-4215 <br><br>The info below was pulled from their website:<br><br>Visitor Information<br>For the protection of the works of art and our visitors, the following policies currently apply when you visit the National Gallery of Art:<br><br>Visitors will be asked to present all bags for inspection as they enter the Gallery. <br>All daypacks, backpacks, large bags, packages, and umbrellas must be left in one of the checkrooms, provided free of charge at each entrance. <br>Luggage or garment bags will not be permitted in either building and may not be checked. <br>Laptop computers, cameras, fur coats, and other items of value may not be checked, but may be carried into the galleries. Visitors with laptop computers will be asked to complete a temporary pass authorization form. <br>Children may not be carried on the shoulders of another person or in a backpack child carrier. Strollers are available free of charge near each checkroom. <br>Food and beverages are not allowed outside the food service areas. <br>Cell phones may not be used in the galleries. <br>Photography for personal use is permitted except in special exhibitions and where specifically prohibited <br><br>HTH,<br><br>Mamabear<br>

#6744 - 06/05/02 09:40 PM Re: Advice on visiting Washington, D.C., please
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Craig,<br><br><br>"Gauntlet of indignity". LOL!! Awesome turn of phrase. <br><br>I have never been to D.C., let alone the National Gallery, so I cannot offer much in the way of advice; sorry. Best bet is probably to play it safe. Or maybe, find out if the exhibit will go on the road, and, if so, wait until comes to your town. Have fun either way.<br><br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#6745 - 06/05/02 10:00 PM Re: Advice on visiting Washington, D.C., please
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Mama,<br><br>I smacked my forehead when I read your post. I should have thought of that.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy (I have been assured that it is, in fact, Wednesday)

#6746 - 06/06/02 03:53 AM Re: Advice on visiting Washington, D.C., please
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, Andy -<br><br>One other thing about going to anything in the Mall area - definitely do not try to drive & park in downtown DC. Just take the Metro service from somewhere - anywhere - and avoid all the traffic hassles. The Metro is cheap, easy, clean, and reliable. I know you'll have fun there. <br><br>Mamabear

#6747 - 06/06/02 04:16 AM Re: Advice on visiting Washington, D.C., please
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
I agree about the Metro - I don't mind driving in the DC environs but parking is awful. The closest I will drive and park is old town in Alexandria. The new parking at National sucks compared to the old, too, IMO. The Metro is what Mamabear said - takes the hassle out of getting around there if you don't mind walking a few blocks here and there. Easy to figure the routes out. I think some of the far out lines may quit running post-evening-rush hour, so be sure to check that, tho.<br><br>I trust you do not need to be told what parts of town are, sadly, not very safe after dark? It has gotten a lot better in the last few years, but... anyway, the Metro is a great solution to transportation there.

#6748 - 06/06/02 02:16 PM Re: Advice on visiting Washington, D.C., please
Craig Offline

I have a Victorinox Classic I could take. Tiny enough to look more like a toy than anything else. Cheap enough to easily replace.

#6749 - 06/06/02 02:20 PM Re: Advice on visiting Washington, D.C., please
Craig Offline

I've learned not to wait for exhibits to come to Philadelphia. Sometimes they simply never make it here. One must take the bull by the horns and travel to where the exhibition is.

#6750 - 06/07/02 01:21 PM Re: Advice on visiting Washington, D.C., please
Craig Offline

I have no interest in the White House myself. I'm much more interested in the Smithsonian Institute. Anyway, because I'm curious, I measured the longest blade on my Victorinox Executive. I measured it the "dumb" way, sliding the ruler down the side of the blade until it stopped against the handle of the knife. It was still just a wee bit over two inches. <br><br>I did it that way because since the regs don't spell out how blades should be measured, some overzealous guards get to add to their own collections by measuring blades in just that fashion, rather than measuring the length of the actual cutting edge itself.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 397 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
0 seconds ago
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Today at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.