The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#67188 - 06/05/06 01:43 PM Knife for the marine environment
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
Here is one for the group. Yesterday an approaching thunderstorm had everyone in (good) batten down mode or (bad) flight mode. Not a really big deal on the Potomac River. Just let out some more anchor scope, stow everything, and get to shore to ride out the storm. Grabbed my leatherman, knife, light, phone, VHF, etc. Now the fun part, someone elses boat is dragging, and the storm is not even here yet, and fouls on our anchor line. So back into the water to separate the boats. Grabbed my knife and clipped it to my bathing suit. It is a CRKT M16 compact w/ combo blade and tanto point. It is more than sufficient for what I need usually.

Now I did not have to cut the other boat away, but it got me thinking, and this is for the collective knowledge of the group. What would make the best folder for the marine environment. Folder because I normally only have on a pair of shorts. Corrosion resistance vs. edge holding, need a combo blade since this is not strickly a rescue knife, one handed opening, good grip since is is used wet as well as dry.

Regards,
Bill

#67189 - 06/05/06 02:16 PM Re: Knife for the marine environment
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
When I read your post, my initial response, my initial response was Spyderco Rescue. Having considered further, The new Doug Ritter knife or any decent ( Gerber, Sog, Spyderco, Benchmade) combi-edge ( half serrated) will do. Handle shape is more important than fancy rubber grips.

#67190 - 06/05/06 02:18 PM Re: Knife for the marine environment
aardvark Offline

Loc: So. California
No personal experience, but have heard good things about the Salt series from Spyderco in H1 steel:
http://spyderco.com/catalog/list.php?category=4

Also think i read somewhere here that Myerchin knives are good for marine applications...

#67191 - 06/05/06 02:23 PM Re: Knife for the marine environment
Simon Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I would find something Spyderco has that is made from H1 stainless steel that suits you. I carry the RSK MkI for EDC, and I was thinking about supplementing it with a Tasman or Atlantic SALT serrated blade with a yellow handle for when boating and such. The only combo I have now is a SEAL Pup by SOG. I just find the serrations on knives are always in the way for what I use knives for.

Maybe a combo blade to suit you can be found made from H1? I haven't seen one yet, maybe I haven't looked hard enough. The Tasman and Atlantic SALT H1 knives by Spyderco come in either fully serrated or plain edge. Anybody own one of these knives and used it any? By the way, the Tasman does actually look like something Hannibal Lecter would use.

#67192 - 06/05/06 03:27 PM Re: Knife for the marine environment
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I'm thinking dive knife, Columbia comes first to mind. Good for cutting, they have a blunt tip for prying, and colored handles that can be seen in the water if they are dropped. I'm not sure if there are floating models.

#67193 - 06/05/06 05:22 PM Re: Knife for the marine environment
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I'd go for a small fixed-blade knife. If it is mainly for cutting lines etc it doesn't need a big log-splitting blade - something like an RSK would surely be overkill. One of the knives designed for neck carry might work They don't have to be carried around the neck, and they can be small.

#67194 - 06/05/06 05:32 PM Re: Knife for the marine environment
NAro Offline
Addict

O.K...I heard the part about it needing to be a folder. Your call! I second the recommendation for any of the Spidy SALT series. If you want a bit more of an upscale set of choices, look at http://www.myerchin.com/

#67195 - 06/05/06 09:21 PM Boyes Knives
jmarkantes Offline

Loc: Portland, OR, USA
Could be worth looking into a Boye Knife. Definately more marine use, with a shakle key and marlinspike. I was looking at one for a while because I do a lot of knot tying as a hobby, but they're not quite as compact as other folders. Also couldn't find a local dealer at all to hold it first.

But, the advantages are the steel is something a bit different that gives it a great rope cutting ability in a straight edge. That's something to think about on a boat. High corrosion resistance, as expected. Bright handles are also available.

If you do end up with one, let us know how you like. I'm still curious.

J

#67196 - 06/05/06 10:04 PM Re: Knife for the marine environment
Dave568 Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I agree with the posters who recommended the Spyderco Salt. That was my strong initial reaction before even reading your post. Serrated H1 blades hold a great edge, and you could literally leave it underwater for weaks without any noticable blade damage. There have been some interesting experiments done with this on the Spyderco forum...

#67197 - 06/05/06 11:29 PM Re: Boyes Knives
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Those look nice.

Bona Na Croin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 276 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.