Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#6649 - 06/01/02 04:17 PM 2 new ideas for a mini kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

The first is very simple, take a m&m's mini tube and remove the warpper. Then fill it with all your survival thing and wrap all the cordage(fishing line,snare wire, wire saw) around it and wrap some electrical tape around them so they dont come off. This idea i think is better than a tin type kit because you can wrap everything wrapable around it and be able to open it up with out having to unwrap everything. Let me know what you think?<br><br>The second idea for a psk will only give minimal room but isnt a bad idea. Take a victorinox swiss card and on the back side of it tape fishing hooks (or saftey pins), matches or sparklite, and a compass. Then on top of them tape a condom, and water purification tablets (in a colonge sample bottle) and the take some tinfoil and put other little things and tinder in it and make a pouch out of the tin foil then secure the tin pouch to the backside of the swiss card with some dental floss, snare wire and or fishing line. Let me know what you think?

#6650 - 06/01/02 05:45 PM Re: 2 new ideas for a mini kit
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
Some neat ideas, but I don't like to wrap anything useful with tape as it gets all gooey. How about ranger bands? Secondly, how about putting the swiss card in a minimalist nylon/ velcro wallet with the other items in the credit card slots? If it was thin, you could carry it in your other hip pocket with a bandanna. In this case, I think you may be on to something.

#6651 - 06/01/02 07:20 PM Re: 2 new ideas for a mini kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have somthing like the first idea but in my case it is a old stainless steel medications tube with screw on cap it is about 4 inches long and 1/2 inch wide you could also use it for cooking but is a llitle bit small

#6652 - 06/02/02 01:17 PM Re: 2 new ideas for a mini kit
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i got a victoriax swiss card and my experians with it, says that it isnt the best choice survival card. i dont have experians with onder ones, but the spyderco card looks much beter to me.

#6653 - 06/02/02 10:18 PM Re: 2 new ideas for a mini kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Build it, fill it, wrap it, take photos of all the assembly steps and post them somewhere that we can all see along with a cheat-sheet on usage and list of contents then send one to doug for a review! <br><br>I think that the idea of wrapping up a swiss card with line and tape is probably better than wrapping up the AMEX Gold card except that wrapping the Gold card would protect me from certain urban disasters somewhat better ! <br><br>The idea of the mini MM's tube is similar to the metal pill fob's that they sell for nitro glycerin and probably much cheaper. Only problem is that I don't think that they would actually be much less bulky than an altoids tin in the pocket. Further if you wrapp much around a cylinder that doesn't have flanges or flat ends making it into a spool then you will have trouble keeping it wound even with tape. Stuff on the outside of the wrapping layers will fray in the pocket. The internal dimensions of the mm's tube are smallish for the odds & ends in my altoids tin. Might not even fit the Photon II.

#6654 - 06/03/02 01:08 AM Re: 2 new ideas for a mini kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I built one once, several years ago, like your M&Ms tube on steroids. Used a 24" long, 2" OD PVC pipe, fitted with an screw-on plug at one end and a fixed plug on the other. Epoxied on paracord loops to clip an old rifle sling to, and wore it across my back. <br><br>Useful in some ways- big enough to carry a sven saw blade and 4" folder, a pair of match cases, etc. But also heavy, and bulky. I eventually disassembled it, but it really wasn't a bad kit. I've been thinking about rebuilding it. <br><br>Any one done anything similiar? I'm thinking acutally about two, 16" tubes, and making a "tactical holster"-type carrier for it.

#6655 - 06/04/02 05:45 PM Re: 2 new ideas for a mini kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

All hail PVC pipe!<br><br>Your post reminded me that I have several feet of 2" OD schedule 40 pipe out in the garage. I've been working for some time on ideas for a durable bottom-of-the-flight-bag kit, but hadn't had this idea yet. A paracord chained knot "self sling" would seem to be a good idea (multi-purpose, and all that).<br><br>I think a trip to the Borg is in order.<br><br>Alan

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 246 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Yesterday at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.