Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#6542 - 05/28/02 11:46 PM We Win One!
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

May 28, 2002<br>Chandler, Arizona<br>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE<br><br>Ritter and Equipped To Survive Foundation Successfully Defend Trademark<br><br>Doug Ritter and the Equipped To Survive Foundation, owners of the Equipped To Survive trademark, announced today that a settlement has been reached in their federal trademark infringement lawsuit against Christopher and Kristen McKiernan and Mayday Industries, Inc. The Defendants agreed not to use the name and mark EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE or any confusingly similar name or mark on their Web site and elsewhere and to transfer to the plaintiffs the domain names equippedtosurvive.com, equippedtosurvive.net and equippedtosurvive.org, as well as their pending trademark application.<br><br>Doug Ritter said, "This quick settlement affirms our trademark rights and allows us to get on with the Foundation's business without the distractions that further prosecution of this lawsuit would have involved. Potential infringers should take heed that we will defend our trademark rights vigorously."<br><br>------------------------------------------<br><br>I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone here for their support during this trying experience and especially those of you who so generously made contributions to help offset some of the legal bills. We can still use any contributions anyone would like to make (http://www.equipped.org/etsfi_donate2.htm ) to help pay the not-insignificant legal expenses incurred. Unfortunately, being in the right isn't necessarily cheap. <br><br>Again, thank a bunch!

Edited by Doug_Ritter (05/29/02 02:01 AM)
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#6543 - 05/29/02 12:28 AM Re: We Win One!
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
Let me be the first to chime in...<br>CONGRATS!!!!<br>Justice can prevail!

#6544 - 05/29/02 12:53 AM Re: We Win One!
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Andy,<br><br><br>Thanks! I just wish that justice wasn't so [censored] expensive. The concept of "justice" loses something in that transition between theory and reality. <~><br><br>Best,<br>
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#6545 - 05/29/02 01:49 AM Link to donate is not working!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Doug...CONGRATS! <br><br>A GREAT win Doug, and as long as the process may have seemed to you, this is a VERY QUICK win in lawsuit years. Lawsuit years are like dog years in reverse. What is 7 years to you is only one lawsuit year. So now you know what your lawyer really means when he or she says that "it will only take about six months to a year."<br><br>Being this quick makes me pretty sure that you let them off without collecting punitive damages so long as they quit violating your rights---correct? It is certainly refreshing(and rare) to find a litigant who is principled and not totally mercenary, but I suspect that ETS did not grow wealthy and that you are out a chunk of change as a result of the process. It reminds me of the cartoon where a lawyer is sitting behind his desk asking his client "How much justice can you afford?"<br><br>This leads me to my purpose in reminding you that the donation link in your post doesn't work! Do you want additional donations for this to go through Network for Good, did you need to set up a separate defense fund to which we should send donations (there are circumstances where that has to be done and don't know if those apply in this case and I can't tell by the link). Anyway, let us know, and again, Congrats!!!!!!<br>Alas, one question remains: Where can one now go to obtain shoddy goods at an exorbinant price? I suppose we can live without such a source if we have to........take good care....<br><br>Robb

#6546 - 05/29/02 02:11 AM Re: Link Fixed
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

>>>It reminds me of the cartoon where a lawyer is sitting behind his desk asking his client "How much justice can you afford?"<<<<br><br>There is certainly a great deal of truth to that, sorry to say. The settlement itself is confidential, as is often the case, so I cannot say specifically how it all ended up beyond the agreed to release, but my lawyer has said that I can tell you, as must be disclosed on our annual Form 990 financial filing with the IRS, that our expenses in this matter were limited to the legal fees for which we are seeking donations. <br><br>I have fixed the link, sorry about that. Any donations can be made via Network for Good. There is a field where you can specify what you want your donation used for.<br><br>Thanks!<br>
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#6547 - 05/29/02 03:54 AM Re: Link Fixed
Neanderthal Offline
newbie member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I have concern that my donation reached its intended destination (ETS). My credit card account was charged, but I am not listed in the donors section. The agent did not respond to my e-mail question regarding appropriate routing of the contribution.

PROVERBS 21:19

#6548 - 05/29/02 05:30 AM Re: Link Fixed
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Yes it was rec'd, thanks very much. You apparently did not provide an email address, so we didn't send a request to post your name. We always ask first, some folks don't care to have their name listed.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#6549 - 05/29/02 04:37 PM Re: We Win One!
Anonymous
Unregistered

congratulations, indeed!!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Yesterday at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.